Light-O-Rama Forums

Enttec

bestone

Here is the user manual link.

http://www.enttec.com/docs/dmxusbpro_manual.pdf

The only connection you need to get it visible to the software is the USB connection; and the driver software.

You then need to connect your fixture, network, and/or DMX decoder to the DMX Out connection on the Entec.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdeditch

• Tracy West

• Donny M. Carter

• geronc

flogger7 wrote:

Here is the user manual link.

http://www.enttec.com/docs/dmxusbpro_manual.pdf

The only connection you need to get it visible to the software is the USB connection; and the driver software.

You then need to connect your fixture, network, and/or DMX decoder to the DMX Out connection on the Entec.

I am going to give it a try tonight when I get home and see what happens, hopefully that is all that needs to be hooked up and then I can get to programming.

:X Ok. I have watched all the tutorials on hooking the usb to my rj45 3 pin adapter. Went in and set my network up to open dmx. My comm listerner states my adapter is open and accepted.

Then why the @#$%$$@! is my dmx light not working? My dmx light instructions documents that the dip switches should be 1 and 10 on and the rest off to be in dmx mode.

I am not using an entec or lynx. I was told that my LOR rj45 to xlr 3 pin would work with my LOR usb485B adapter. I have also tried just hooking up the holidaycoro dongle as well and natta.

This should not be this difficult.

Well after a reformat of the computer and reinstalling everything, it was doing the same thing. I sent in a Service Ticket to Enttec and got a reply to update to a newer version of there firmware, which didn't help either. I did some research and when you use the Utility program and it tells you to update the fireware, it opens up a folder. Usually you would go for the newest version, WRONG!!! Use the one that named 114 or 144, now it finds it no problem. Still not having luck getting the LOR to send the signal to the set of lights, but I tried them using xlight and it worked great. So I have to try go back and see what I am doing wrong once again.

My question is this: Would it be just wiser to buy an enttec open dongle than trying to get LOR rj45 adapter to work with the usb485b or the ght dongle?

Is the common dip switch set up for dmx lights 1 and 10 on, and 2 thru 9 off?

I am trying all different ways with no luck!

Easy and WILL work. Enttec (David's dongle was intended for programming controllers not as a DMX dongle). I tried about everyting I could to get it to work without any sucess. Once I added the Enttec Pro all worked like magic. Not the cheapest solution but the easyiest.

Ok!! I was able to get my first success.. Sort of!

The biggest problem is you have to have a driver. Go to enttec and down load the driver.

Now my LOR accepts my open usb-dmx (not enttec) and I was able to get my light to come on and off with LOR. YEA!!!

Now... new issues. How do you get the lights addresses to line out with the colors. I had the LOR on red.. it would be all colors. White would be blue. It was all over the map!

My instructions on my par light is dip switch 1 and 10 in the on position and the other ones in the off to work with dmx.

So help on creating the addresses to work with the colors and strobe effects this led par can can do please!

There is absolutely no model number or brand on these lights. I got them off ebay and they are the smaller led par lights. They work really well but nothing on them. I tried to get ahold of the seller on ebay but they have not returned my email request.

I just know according to the address code description is for dmx dip 1 and 10 need to be in the on position and the others are to be in the off.

bdeditch wrote:

Well after a reformat of the computer and reinstalling everything, it was doing the same thing. I sent in a Service Ticket to Enttec and got a reply to update to a newer version of there firmware, which didn't help either. I did some research and when you use the Utility program and it tells you to update the fireware, it opens up a folder. Usually you would go for the newest version, WRONG!!! Use the one that named 114 or 144, now it finds it no problem. Still not having luck getting the LOR to send the signal to the set of lights, but I tried them using xlight and it worked great. So I have to try go back and see what I am doing wrong once again.

I forgot to inform everyone that I got everything working great. I didn't have some boxes checked. IUt works like a charm now. I got 10 more DMX Modules from David today and a couple of more power supplies. Now it back to cutting some of my sample strips and a little solding and see how I do. Have to spend some time writing the modules.

I have been able to get two of my par dmx lights to work the way they are suppose to! A lot of trial and error with the addresses and dip switches. 12 more par lights to go and then on to learning how to cut and splice cat5 lines and connecting 5050 strips with dmx modules.

Does anybody have a tutorial or pics on exactly how to do that?

so it is so that you can use a usb-485 to run dmx if i understood corectly it will only control 512 channels (1 universe) so does that mean that i need to get another usb 485 conector for universe 2 and so on for the next universe?
now another question will the usb485 work to hook up the e681 but since it is open dmx can i just run it off the ethernet port on my computer?

Chris,

You can use any of the LOR USB485 adapters to create a DMX universe. Each dongle, no matter who makes it, only creates 1 universe which is 512 channels. If you use up your network or want to create another network, you will need another dongle of some sort. To really test out this LOR system this past season I used 3 DMX dongles running at once. 1 was the LOR USB485, 1 was the LOR USB485B and one was an Enttec Pro. Worked flawlessly. Remember this is separate from your LOR network. You will need another LOR adapter for the LOR network.

I haven't really looked into the Pixels systems you are talking about but I believe they are E1.31 based and need to accept the full 4 DMX universes. So I am not sure if it can accept just a single, basic network.

Running out of Hubs is a good question that I am having too.

I know that I am wanting to have two or three dmx universes along with the 48 channels of LOR.

I have one universe which I am connecting all 18 dmx stage lights together or with two universes if 18 units is too much. I have 4 units addressed so far. (These lights are going to be great off the house and in the yard.

The other universe is with the 5050 LED strips. (This is a project that I am scared of! I have read and watched the tutorials on splicing and soddering the cat5 and the lights and I do not have a good grasp of this yet.

My question with using the 5050 LED strips is how many strips can I daisy chain per dmx module controller?

My goal is to have 4 strips on the roof, two strips on my castle and 6 strips attached to my fence line. (My fence line is two seperate areas) So my beginning thought was two modules for the roof line, one module for the castle and two dmx modules for the fence line.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I know I have a lot of DYI do get started on and I am really nervous about building the cat5, dmx modules and the strips. :shock: