Light-O-Rama Forums

Enttec

bestone

harrison0550 wrote:

and here is a website with more pictures, step by step instructions, and another video
http://www.lightuplawrence.net/Home/how-to-1/rgb-dmx-wiring

Like I said above please thank any and all makers of videos/pictures/websites above that may help you out. I am not the creator of anything above and couldn't tell you from experience if one way works better than the other. My only contribution is knowing how to use google. Like I tell my boss "I don't have all the answers but I can find them"

The above should at least fulfill some questions to get you started. Good Luck and when I learn more I will post more. All the videos/guides above were all created within the last 12 months but that isn't to say one or another isn't out dated already. Just from my week or so of research I've learned this technology changes faster than my facebook status so IMHO find something above that you understand and works for you and run with it!

Good Luck!

The Light Up Lawrence video is EXACTLY what I have been looking for when it come to daisy cahin these $6 DMX Modules.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdeditch

• Tracy West

• Donny M. Carter

• geronc

harrison0550 wrote:

Tracy I will be diving into this head first after the holidays with help from JBullard I hope. So once I get it figured out I will take some pics/video and post them in this thread for ya. But to satisfy maybe a basic understanding I found a great video explaining a basic rgb/LOR setup and it even shows you how to set it up in the LOR sequencer................

and

Again I am brand spanking new to this as well so I'm trying not to comment on something I currently know very little about but as I learn I will do my best to share. When it comes to DMX I'm quickly learning there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak but hopefully those videos will help with a basic setup explanation. If they do then make sure you thank the maker of them "which is not me".

Like mama always said "best things come to those who wait" or on second thought that may have been a Katchup commercial hmmmmmmm. Either way if you can wait a few weeks I will get it all figured out and post back. Don't worry about it and have a Merry Christmas!

Ok I have watched this and now I have a question on the Enttec Pro. The XLR 5 Pin Male, would this connect to what coming out of computer. I am using the Programming Cable from HolidayCoro and wondering if I should get another LOR adapter instead. I have the LOR adapter plugged in, the one I use for the controllers, and I have the Enttec Pro and Programming cable plugged in as well.
I have followed these videos to, but I might have not changed to Enttec Pro on the Protocol, but instead I left it on Raw DMX, I suppose that I should have it on the Enttec Pro instead, right?. Also do I have to have a controller hooked up (anyone or does it have to be Controller 1) and powered up, and hooked into, in order to sequence a RGB String? The RGB Strip work fine, I have been putting it thru a test with Xlights and using the $6 DMX Dongle, but when I get to the sequencing part on the LOR sequence it does not seem to want to follow the commands. The Com Port Listener is working and running in the back ground as well.

using LOR 3.X you need the usb converter plugged in even if you do not have any lor controllers hooked up. select enttec as the protocal. do NOT use davids dongle (except to program the dmx controllers. Plug in the enttec and run the control panel for LOR. I use a 5 pin to cat5 adapter (works great), connect the 3 channel controller, power supply and lights like david shows in his diagrams. It will work great. (Davids dongle does not work well with LOR as a dmx dongle, but works great for programming the controllers). see videos above for setup. I struggle and struggled until the above setup and now and HAPPY DMX user (for RGB devices).

jerrymac wrote:

using LOR 3.X you need the usb converter plugged in even if you do not have any lor controllers hooked up. select enttec as the protocal. do NOT use davids dongle (except to program the dmx controllers. Plug in the enttec and run the control panel for LOR. I use a 5 pin to cat5 adapter (works great), connect the 3 channel controller, power supply and lights like david shows in his diagrams. It will work great. (Davids dongle does not work well with LOR as a dmx dongle, but works great for programming the controllers). see videos above for setup. I struggle and struggled until the above setup and now and HAPPY DMX user (for RGB devices).

Thanks Jerry I sent you a PM , and just want to make sure I understand you. I plug into the LOR USB Converter? Or do I get myself another converter and plug into that and leave the LOR one just hanging there (hooked up)

I don't think you need a LOR adapter and the DMX adapter both to get DMX. I think that was the way it was early on but I thought it was corrected.

geronc wrote:

You just want your LOR converter plugged into the computer. You don't need anything plugged into it.

No you are wrong I need to plug in my Enttec Pro as well, that is what I am asking do I need another LOR USB Converter to plug it into.

jeffl wrote:

I don't think you need a LOR adapter and the DMX adapter both to get DMX. I think that was the way it was early on but I thought it was corrected.

No you need to use it (Enttec Pro) as the dongle

:shock: Ok... my brain is hurting.

I got in today a LOR RJ45 to xlr 3 pin male adapter. I hooked it up to my usb485b and went to town on all the tutorials that are available above.

I tried to do everything that was stated. I got my dmx led par to go red, but could not get the little screen to come up and show me I was connected or get it to test fire.

Now I can't even get it to fire up.

I know that once I get this to config, it is going to be great!

Help please.

bdeditch wrote:

jeffl wrote:

You need one or the other in less you plan on running multiply networks! You can use the LOR USB485 for dmx or the Enttec or any of the other approved dongles! That's it! Hope this helps!

Donny

yes went around on this one and through test I found that you MUST have the RS485 plugged to work (no LOR controllers need be plugged into the RS485).

Donny M. Carter wrote:

bdeditch wrote:
jeffl wrote:

You need one or the other in less you plan on running multiply networks! You can use the LOR USB485 for dmx or the Enttec or any of the other approved dongles! That's it! Hope this helps!

Donny

I want to do exactly what he is doing in this video. I have to be able to assign a com port for the Enttec, I can't use thew same one that the LOR is hooked up to.

jerrymac wrote:

yes went around on this one and through test I found that you MUST have the RS485 plugged to work (no LOR controllers need be plugged into the RS485).

I'm sorry! I wasn't aware you had to have a LOR usb485 plugged in just sitting there! That's not what Bob shows in his video.

bdeditch, can you take your Enttec and plug it in and see it in the drop down menu in network pref under the dmx area?

Stupid edit button!!

I'm wrong again, he does have a couple usb485's plugged in! That just seems crazy, but what you gonna do?

Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Stupid edit button!!

I'm wrong again, he does have a couple usb485's plugged in! That just seems crazy, but what you gonna do?

Donny

What the problem was I was using the Holiday Coro programming cable, and I have been told that causes nothing but problems, so this is where I have to get another USB convewrter and be able to plug the cable from the input of the Enttec to a different com port on the computer.

bdeditch wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
Stupid edit button!!

Donny

What the problem was I was using the Holiday Coro programming cable, and I have been told that causes nothing but problems, so this is where I have to get another USB convewrter and be able to plug the cable from the input of the Enttec to a different com port on the computer.

Gotcha! You can just make that cable! Sorry for confusing the situation!

Donny

Tracy West wrote:

:shock: Ok... my brain is hurting.

I got in today a LOR RJ45 to xlr 3 pin male adapter. I hooked it up to my usb485b and went to town on all the tutorials that are available above.

I tried to do everything that was stated. I got my dmx led par to go red, but could not get the little screen to come up and show me I was connected or get it to test fire.

Now I can't even get it to fire up.

I know that once I get this to config, it is going to be great!

Help please.

There is a utility to help find out if your enttec is hooked up.

http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=downloads

it for the usb pro

jerrymac wrote:

That is what I meant. Thanks for the clarification.

The enttec should show up as a seperate comm port in device manager. If not, try reloading the drivers.