Light-O-Rama Forums

1st night of 1st year using lor display

ToddH

shfr26 wrote:

Paul, I did something similiar with my show last year. I use PC controllers but I needed about 30 seconds to fill up the hour. I just made 4 or 5 "sequences" that did nothing and named the "filler a" and so on. This way I had 3-5 songs, a filler and then 3-4 songs , a filler, till the hour was complete. This also gave a chance for visitors to move on so the next banch colud move in. Worked out just great!

Great ideas here!! thanks for the info!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToddH

• Paul Roberson

• shfr26

• evan.a

Hey you fixed the rope light! I like the mix. Great job.

Just curious how much traffic did you get the first night? I ask because I could count the number of people on one hand for my opening night.

ShaggySS wrote:

Hey you fixed the rope light! I like the mix. Great job.

Just curious how much traffic did you get the first night? I ask because I could count the number of people on one hand for my opening night.

Yeah I fixed the light :) wise ass :)

well being that I have not done a show like this prior, most have been haunts not light displays and until yesterday I did not have a transmitter just outside speakers so those driving by would slow down but being they didn't know things were going to music kept on going, I live near a track so those going to work out would stop and check it out, last night had few stop to take pictures, got a quite a few drive by honking but this weekend will be the official start. I have the sign out front, heading to radio shack after work to get a loop to help with the interference from the transmitter. Also getting 2 stake flood lights, one to put in the gave yard to give it a bit more light so it can be seen and one for the sign. Also will be putting out the fog machine and homemade chiller tonight also. so I suspect that will be allot more this weekend.

Well thanks to Kevin and his lights seen around the world...it made its way to Tampa bay news 9 and well I guess someone passed by my house prior to it being viral and saw what I had...nothing in comparison but asked me today If I knew Kevin...long story short I think I might be having extra visitors these next few days....Thanks Kevin for being inspirational....and while the work was done by me, the credit still goes to those who helped, yourself included, Itsmebob (whom I can not thank enough) and shfr26, Evan as well for some good pointers on sequencing.

Here are a few videos taken last night. Sorry the quality is bad, camera stinks and the sound was too low but you can get the general idea. Comments always welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHQd071Hw&hl=en&fs=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqZEaMR0&hl=en&fs=1

and this is the wifes Fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hw&hl=en&fs=1&hl=en&fs=1

*some reason was not able to attach the videos here so here are the links*

ToddH wrote:

Here are a few videos taken last night. Sorry the quality is bad, camera stinks and the sound was too low but you can get the general idea. Comments always welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHQd071Hw&hl=en&fs=1

and this is the wifes Fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hw&hl=en&fs=1&hl=en&fs=1

*some reason was not able to attach the videos here so here are the links*

Todd, do what most of us do here, if you have any video editing software, remove the original sound track from it, some software will require you save the file back out without the soundtrack, load the silent version back in and then add the soundtrack (song/music) back to the video. You may have to skew the video to match the soundtrack, but then you don't have to worry about low volume or other distracting/annoying noises in your videos.

I use a an OLD Nikon Coolpix PII to video my display, and since I know I'm going to extract the sound it recorded, I just say the name of the song playing during the recording so I know which song is what video, then I upload them to my computer, play them as is, then rename them with the song name, then I do the edits, add title(s), save them back out with the new "clean" soundtrack and then upload to Vimeo. Just don't use YouTube any longer because of their constantly removing soundtracks and silencing the videos.

That's how many of us do this because it's rather difficult to get a really good video with the music when you have cars driving by, planes flying overhead or trains blowing their horns (if like me you're near an active Railroad!).

So if you have the means to edit your videos and edit the soundtrack, that's the best way to go. My camera (5 megapixel) doesn't take the best vid's either, but it works well enough for me by doing the edit thing.

Good Luck!

p.s. Haven't checked out your videos just yet, just wanted to share a little info with you on how most of us get that nice, clean soundtrack on our videos. :D But I'll check them out as soon as I hit the Post Reply!

EDIT: Are your videos still up? Every link I clicked came back with a PAGE NOT FOUND error. ;)

Sorry, guess the links never corrected after I removed the insert.

Here are the links:

Headless Horseman

Spooky Scary Skeletons

This is Halloween

My Mix

again I am sorry for the poor quality please be kind when responding to that part of it ;)

Thanks for the tips Orville I was thinking about that but don't believe I have any video editing software but it was late and wanted to get it up. I will check at some point and re-upload if i can find it. My camera is not great for night time, its a Flip...

Your camera does an good job. You just need a tripod and use some video editing software to 'improve' the audio. You can use windows live movie maker of something of the sort.

Nice job on the display!

... an here I thought it did an extreamly crappy job thanks for the compliments. I will check into the editing software for sure. I don't think they make trypods for the flip that are bigger then a 16 oz cup. which would only give it ground level shots or I can put on the back of my truck (tailgate). But again, thanks for the kind response. I am trying to finish another sequense by monday for my daughter as its her birthday on Halloween (she will be 8). So I am working on The .... (dont shoot me) Britney Spears song "I wanta Go" and for kicks if i get done in time I told my son I would do "Im sexy and I know it" by LMFAO...its funny as hell, he walks around singing that and hes 6. :D

ToddH wrote:

... an here I thought it did an extreamly crappy job thanks for the compliments. I will check into the editing software for sure. I don't think they make trypods for the flip that are bigger then a 16 oz cup. which would only give it ground level shots or I can put on the back of my truck (tailgate). But again, thanks for the kind response. I am trying to finish another sequense by monday for my daughter as its her birthday on Halloween (she will be 8). So I am working on The .... (dont shoot me) Britney Spears song "I wanta Go" and for kicks if i get done in time I told my son I would do "Im sexy and I know it" by LMFAO...its funny as hell, he walks around singing that and hes 6. :D

LOL. Those would be good.

I have a flip and it has a threaded hole in the bottom. I can attach my tripod plate mount to it and it works on a full size tripod. Whatever works to stabilize the shot will work. I also bought a cheap fish eye lens for it that helps widen the shot so I can zoom in better.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I have a flip and it has a threaded hole in the bottom. I can attach my tripod plate mount to it and it works on a full size tripod. Whatever works to stabilize the shot will work. I also bought a cheap fish eye lens for it that helps widen the shot so I can zoom in better.

Yeah I have the small trypod for it, but thats maily used to put on stage or stairs but not for something like this...I don't have a full size tripod but i might give that a go and good idea on the fish eye lense never even considered that...its just so dark, but I think I can fix that by adding a few more floods for next year.

ToddH wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Yeah I have the small trypod for it, but thats maily used to put on stage or stairs but not for something like this...I don't have a full size tripod but i might give that a go and good idea on the fish eye lense never even considered that...its just so dark, but I think I can fix that by adding a few more floods for next year.

They say you get the best video while there is still a little light in the sky.

Paul Roberson wrote:

They say you get the best video while there is still a little light in the sky.

yeah its not that easy as I have a ton of grand oaks that cover the light :P so makes it even darker.

Ok well I just finished this one last night and here is the 1st showing of it. I think this is my best one yet!! Thanks Evan for helping me start out on this, gave me the motivation to complete it...glad I was able to... Enjoy

GNR - Sympathy for the devil
http://youtu.be/iQGLsJ7Vtp8

This one I started on just cause I am a huge fan of his poems.

Jim Morrison - Severed Garden

http://youtu.be/XdTQxy7zqF8

THanks also for the suggestion to edit with video sw.

I edited this one, thoughts? This is Halloween http://youtu.be/m79fo-vtLrM

Well its done and over with and have to say it turned out great!! Had a few glitches with the sequences I did and only I was able to notice it (few mouth movements not in sync). But I received so many complements and the kids were dancing in the drive way. I was also able to finish the song I promised my daughter to morning of so she was thrilled!!

Had about double the crowd from last year and a ton of cars just stopping to check it out.

The best was seeing the really little kids dancing in the graveyard with he fog machine going (which I need to get a better one for next year or 2 maybe).

Thanks to all who helped me and tolerated my constant barrage of questions!

It turned out good, i will post a video of the song I did for my daughter just to get some feed back on tips, constructive criticism or whatever soon. (the song I did for her was the Britney Spears new song - I Wanta Go)