Light-O-Rama Forums

Supported DMX Adapters

bob

rstately wrote:

I read that S3 does not take advantage of what the Enttec pro does, S3 will in the future, but for now it works just like the "non intelligent" adapters?

Post #5
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum75/28689.html

This is specifically referring to the ability of the Pro to offload some CPU usage from the computer. LOR does not take advantage of this ability in version 3.0.2, but will take advantage of it as of the next release.

You will not have to make any change (other than upgrading to the next release) in order to start taking advantage of it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob

• jeffl

• rstately

• bretk

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob:

I have started setting up the DMX universe #1 using a LOR 485B adapter

Made my crossover cable and tested is using another program for setting the address on the DMX unit. initially I set it for AD-209.

Also verified the DMX device was actually on AD-209 using an external programmer.

Took some time to setup the SE to accept the output, used the Listener program.

Did a basic Animated Sequence with only 1 RGB device set to AD, 209,210,211.

Added some 1 second fade downs per color and ran the sequence.

The RED did not come on but the Red came on for the Green and Green for the Blue.

Went back and increments the addresses by 1 and everything worked as sequences.

Next went in and changed the Addresses to 1,2,3 on the DMX unit and the sequence. It did the same thing, being off by 1 number. Set it to 2,3,4 and it worked.

Next created a Musical sequence and it did the same thing, addresses off by 1.

Now this is not a Lynx controller but a RGB DMX unit for RGB LED modules. These are widely used by many of us.

Can you shed some light on the problem?

OK, hopefully this isn't beating a dead horse, but I have RJ's USB to DMX V2 dongle. I'm going to assume it works with S3, because in the network setup, it sees the device. However, whenever I was trying to test it last night, nothing happened. I have my devices setup to start at channel 129. I changed the channels in one of my existing sequences to the DMX Universe 1 and appropriate channels, but when I tried to play it. .I got nothing. Now, I ONLY had the DMX adapter in the system. Did I read in an earlier thread that the sequencer will ONLY output to the devices if it sees the LOR adapter? Does this mean I can't have a DMX only system but need both adapters plugged in?

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Bob:

Made my crossover cable and tested is using another program for setting the address on the DMX unit. initially I set it for AD-209.

Also verified the DMX device was actually on AD-209 using an external programmer.

The RED did not come on but the Red came on for the Green and Green for the Blue.

Next went in and changed the Addresses to 1,2,3 on the DMX unit and the sequence. It did the same thing, being off by 1 number. Set it to 2,3,4 and it worked.

Now this is not a Lynx controller but a RGB DMX unit for RGB LED modules. These are widely used by many of us.

What happens if you get rid of the special cable and instead plug the LOR USB485B into an LOR controller, using CAT5 cable?

I will give that a try.

My concern of the +1 shift is that right now I do all my testing using my computer, BUT for my actual show to generate the DMX for my devices i will be using an IDMX-1000.

Assigning address are done after everything is setup and use the hardware utility to step through each Address, then I set it up in my configuration file to update all my sequences.

If there is a shift in numbers between using a computer and using an IDMX-1000 then it will be very confusing in assigning address at the end.

bob wrote:

Dennis Cherry wrote:
Bob:

What happens if you get rid of the special cable and instead plug the LOR USB485B into an LOR controller, using CAT5 cable?

As long as the pinouts are correct it should work. I just purchased an XLR plug off eBay and used a spare cat5 cable. A few minutes getting the pinouts figured out and some solder and you have the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've moved the USB port and the program now sees it. Do I have to have a LOR network setup somewhere first before the Enttec is connected?

OK, I have my Enttec Open connected to my computer, I've installed the drivers but LOR Network Preferences isn't recognizing it. What do I need to do to get it recognized?

• 2 weeks later...

what is the trick to the network preferences if I want to run the LOR USB485 as DMX? Th preferences dialog box shows it under the LOR network.

Attached files 287851=15934-ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 02 10.

z327 wrote:

what is the trick to the network preferences if I want to run the LOR USB485 as DMX? Th preferences dialog box shows it under the LOR network.

Do you have two adapters? (because you have one listed above in the LOR network section and one below in the DMX section)

If you only have ONE USB485 dongle and you want to use it for DMX, then change the top to None. Otherwise, you'll get a COM Port conflict.

You can run DMX without any entries in the Light O Rama Networks box. Not sure who started that idea.

Oh, and uncheck the "MCP Compatibility" box at the bottom unless you know it needs to be checked.

I want to know if that will work too!

Those two items are very affordable and if that would work, it would make things very easy for me!

I am trying to get DMX working with only the USB485. I have an iDMX that is what I think was showing up as a second adapter. I have made a LOR to Lynx Cat 5 conversion cable. I have changed network to the DMX Universe only.
I have renumbered 192 channels and assigned them all to device type DMX Universe Network Universe 1 but have run out of daylight. So show is running.
I will have to go to each LE and change the start address in the morning and then see what happens.

Gave up on DMX using the USB485, I updated firmware on all LOR boxes and could never get it to work across all controllers all the time. I did make the conversion cable and DMX did go from LOR to LE boxes.

Final solution was to use the USB485 for the 5 LOR Boxes.
Use a Lynx Dongle flashed with Pixelnet software.

Configure the LE's with starting DMX address 1 and plug into the Smart String Hub DMX out. I reserved DMX all the way to channel 240 to cover the 8 LEs I have now and the LEs I plan for next year.

Flashed my first smart string controller with DMX ID 241 for 30 RGB Channels (1 rigid strip).

I have done all my sequencing in LOR except for the RGB. I use LSP for that as well as to play the show. I much prefer the stability and speed of LOR, but unless they will support pixelnet in the future I'm stuck with LSP.

• 1 month later...

Im having the same issue is that the USB485 adapter port only shows up in the LOR Hardware area. In the DMX the drop downs all only have none in them. Is there a setting Im not doing properly.

If you are talking about the sequences editor under network preferences, I think you need to set the LOR network to none. It might show up then after restarting the sequence editor.

So now I know. That was correct, mark the LOR as none, restart and now its marked A8008ezX in DMX.

Thank you Mr. Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...