Light-O-Rama Forums

Planning the DMX

razorchristmas

Might be worth reading through the S3 helpfile recently posted by Bob. It seems that native DMX support is only available at the "advanced" version of the licence.

Regards,

Alan.

Native DMX devices are officially supported through the following adapters:

• ENTTEC Open DMX USB
  • ENTTEC DMX USB Pro
  • LOR USB485

It's possible that some other adapters might work, but no others are officially supported (as of the current time).

Also, note that the LOR USB485 is a special case: It doesn't have an actual DMX output socket. It's really just included on the above list because at least some LOR controllers can understand DMX protocol, so theoretically you could set them up to use DMX protocol instead of LOR protocol.

Well, Since I already own the Advanced from before the tiers and activation were added, I would expect the update to S3 to be under $50, and with the same tier.
Edit: sniped by Bob, Guess I should go to the Enttech Open DMX for 20 more to be sure.
Edit2: Hmm, Maybe it is $45?

Is E1.31 supported? I doubt it, but may as well ask.

razorchristmas wrote:

Is E1.31 in the software? Sorry for bumping, but I figured a new reply would be more attention than an edited one.

E1.31 will not be in version 3.0.0, but it is something that we're looking into supporting for a future release (perhaps 3.1.0).

bob wrote:

• ENTTEC Open DMX USB
  • ENTTEC DMX USB Pro
  • LOR USB485

It's possible that some other adapters might work, but no others are officially supported (as of the current time).

Also, note that the LOR USB485 is a special case: It doesn't have an actual DMX output socket. It's really just included on the above list because at least some LOR controllers can understand DMX protocol, so theoretically you could set them up to use DMX protocol instead of LOR protocol.

I just want to understand this more. Can we use the USB485B to send DMX to like a CTB16PC? Also will LOR sell the ENTTEC DMX devices?

Thanks

Can we use the USB485B to send DMX to like a CTB16PC?

I don't know enough about the hardware to say that specifically, but I can tell you that there are LOR controllers which you can use the USB485 to send DMX to.

Also will LOR sell the ENTTEC DMX devices?

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I'm not involved in the business decisions.

jeffl wrote:

bob wrote:

• ENTTEC Open DMX USB
  • ENTTEC DMX USB Pro
  • LOR USB485

I just want to understand this more. Can we use the USB485B to send DMX to like a CTB16PC? Also will LOR sell the ENTTEC DMX devices?

Thanks

My understanding is yes, with recent enough firmware, but I wouldn't. About the only thing you gain in most situations is moving CPU load from the micro controller in the LOR box to your show PC CPU.. Now, if you have one or two controllers that you want on the same cable run as a DMX universe with other fixtures, this may make more sense..

All DMX signalling contains is repeating frames of intensities for every address in the universe. 44Hz is a common update rate target. So the PC has to calculate what value to put in all 512 addresses on the network 44 times a second, then build the frame and send it. LOR, you want all your channels to take 1 second to fade from 0 to 100%, you copy that from the sequence file into the appropriate command format, , send all the commands, send the "start now" mark to all the controllers, then spend the next second to make sure you know what to send once that second has expired.

-klb- wrote:

jeffl wrote:
bob wrote:

• ENTTEC Open DMX USB
  • ENTTEC DMX USB Pro
  • LOR USB485

Thanks

My understanding is yes, with recent enough firmware, but I wouldn't. About the only thing you gain in most situations is moving CPU load from the micro controller in the LOR box to your show PC CPU.. Now, if you have one or two controllers that you want on the same cable run as a DMX universe with other fixtures, this may make more sense..

All DMX signalling contains is repeating frames of intensities for every address in the universe. 44Hz is a common update rate target. So the PC has to calculate what value to put in all 512 addresses on the network 44 times a second, then build the frame and send it. LOR, you want all your channels to take 1 second to fade from 0 to 100%, you copy that from the sequence file into the appropriate command format, , send all the commands, send the "start now" mark to all the controllers, then spend the next second to make sure you know what to send once that second has expired.

Just to clarify. Are you saying sending DMX using the USB485 device is a bad idea or sending DMX over any of these devices to a regular LOR controller is not a good idea.

I'm just trying to get educated. Last year I used the iDMX and 64 DMX channels and it worked good. I'm trying to figure out what hardware I would need to do the same this year without an iDMX if possible and still get the same performance.

I have a 3GHZ single core PC so I don't think CPU processing should be and issue for me.

Thanks for your help in helping me understand.

I'm just saying that it is probably not optimal. I think it opens you up to a greater chance of any glitch causing a visible deficiency. Also, the DMX network runs at 4x the normal speed for the LOR network, so you also open up more possibilities for cabling issues.

But realistically, for the channel count you are looking to do, I doubt it will make any difference at all. It will take time and users to determine where the limits realistically are, and how they depend on computer power, but I expect they are a lot higher.

Do remember that the latest iDMX firmware upgrade increased the number of iChans to 128, so if the old 64 channel limit was one of the reasons you were looking to get off the iDMX, it is not as big a deal.

If everything get's released on time, I'm going to try the new DMX route as Dan had said earlier in the year that he would go this route instead of an iDMX unless using an MP3 director. A good PC is also required.

If this does not work, I'll go with an iDMX that I know will work. It does require extra cat5 cable but I already planned on that.

The truth of how it works will be known shortly after we get our hands on it. :D

I believe the intent was for people to buy a second adapter for the DMX universe, instead of buying the iDMX. I don't think the intent was for people to move all their LOR hardware to DMX as well. But yes, it should work.

If I were doing my home or volunteer project over again, I would likely buy an Entec Pro for each of them, rather than the iDMX..

I think that any USB->DMX device under $50 will use the PC to build DMX frames and cause "buffer underruns" or timing issues. Probably best to offload the DMX frame building to a seperate box like the Enttec Pro or Open device.

At one of the LOR classes in Sacramento, I bought a USB -> DMX device that Drew at Holiday Technologies says is "110%" compatible with the Enttec Pro. Running it for several theatre productions, I agree with him.

Just my two cents worth.

The USB-> DMX box I refer to is: http://www.holidaytechnologies.com/catalog/product.php?id_product=58

jeffl wrote:

I just want to understand this more.  Can we use the USB485B to send DMX to like a CTB16PC?   Also will LOR sell the ENTTEC DMX devices?

Thanks

I got my Enntec Open from e-Bay for $55 I bought it on a Sunday night and had it by Wed or Thurs. But I just looked and dont see it on there anymore, but this link is to the Pro and it is the same person doing the sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENTTEC-DMX-USB-Pro-Interface-PC-Based-512CH-70304-/380376292375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5890319c17

Is the pro version worth the extra money or is it full of capabilities that won't make a difference as far as LOR is concerned?

I bought both the open and the pro from this company. I actually got the open from eBay for about $35. They are good to deal with. Both are the ones I was demoing at the NJ mini.