Light-O-Rama Forums

Why do I want a GEN3 controller?

stachows

I have been reading a lot about the Gen 3 controllers, but I cannot find a definative explanation of how they differ, and why I actually want to spend more money to upgrade? Don't get me wrong, LOR will always get my money!

But, What is the benefit/diferences of the two?

If it matters, MY hardware is:

• (16) CTB16PC V1 Kits that I have soldered myself, and that all still work perfectly.
  • iDMX1000 running over 200 DMX channels of LED Par Flods and strobes, etc.
  • I run my show from a Windows Server 2008 R2 Cluster (BECAUSE I CAN!!!)
  • Mostly LED lights, some rope and alot of strings (high grade, no fading issues)
  • Some incandescent lights I have not been able to afford to switch to LED.
  • Other Incadescents where they just look better
  • Other stuff that has no impact

Thanks,

Scott.

Long time LOR supporter!!! (Thank You DAN!!!)

You might not want to. However most future controllers will be GEN 3.

The Gen 3 use several SMD components, upgraded triacs, etc.

The firmware upgrades (soon to also be available for Gen 2 also) help even more with LED dimming.

This is just what I remember off hand.

Hi John,

First off... THANK YOU for responding!!! Any help is appreciated.

My questions though are:

What will several SMD components give me that I don't have now?

What can the upgraded traics do that mine can't do now?

Lastly, My LEDS' dim just fine.

George Simmons wrote:

John - at your age it's amazing that you still remember ANYTHING! ;):D

Thanks George! Rather proud of myself!

Note: George is not being a cyber bully. His statement is true.

I have no plans to upgrade any of our controllers with Gen3 hardware. But, I look forward to any of next years growth being Gen3.

I think the benefit that has not been mentioned is phantom load being built into each channel, so that combination of capacitance from the strings, and non linear load from LED won't cause odd issues with the dimming curve.

The primary benefits of the SMD components are lower parts costs, and assembly can be more easily automated. I saw that the RS-485 chip is still socketed, which is a good thing.

OK,

So if I understand you correctly,

LED's will dim better (not currently a problem), and DIY kits should be a little cheaper?

Other than that, there might be no true benefit to the quality of my show from a viewers standpoint?

One thing I have not yet seen is how dimming curves get implemented on Gen3 hardware, as opposed to gen2 hardware with gen3 firmware... (Actually have not yet seen anything but discussion that there will be the ability for custom dimming curves)

But, if you are fine with the standard dimming curve, and are OK without a phantom load, or supplying your own, I am not currently aware of any differences that the average user will notice, let alone your viewers.

Will Gen 3 controllers be available for DIY? I was under the impression that they will all be prefabricated prior to purchase.

I believe I read somewhere, that the "solder together kit" will have everything except the triacs and spade lugs installed. Though I might not be surprised if the RS-485 chip and socket, are, or are not already installed. So the solder together version probably won't save as much as it used to.

But, so far, it appears that it is only the gen2 solder together kits that are available. Given the current schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if it is next year before the gen3 solder together kits are available.

Will the Gen 2 controller still be available to purchase or are they being phased out. The cost difference of the Gen 3 controllers is only ten dollars move then the Gen 2 controller so the cost difference is not a great one.

If you can control your LED lights over the power line instead of using a CAT 5 cable there are some situations where this could be advantageous.

I'm pretty sure the gen2 controllers are being phased out.. I think once the stock of gen2 solder together kits is gone, all the gen2 stock is gone...

-klb- wrote:

The primary benefits of the SMD components are lower parts costs, and assembly can be more easily automated. I saw that the RS-485 chip is still socketed, which is a good thing.

Oh, so that must be why they cost more than Gen2 controllers were.
puzzled-puzzled-befog-bewilder-smiley-emoticon-000670-large.gif

I'm guessing that between manufacturing house difficulties, exchange rate considerations, inflation and other things, that the prices would be worse if they were not SMD...

-klb- wrote:

I'm guessing that between manufacturing house difficulties, exchange rate considerations, inflation and other things, that the prices would be worse if they were not SMD...

I think that would be true only for the prefabricated units.

When I went to order the partially assembled kits the Gen2 kits were not available and they were selling the Gen3 kits for the same price and the Gen2. They are regularly $10 more.

For me the soldering and assembly of the kits is the most fun.
I hate sequencing and I'm poor at it.
Give me fab work (mega/mini trees ,LOR kits) any day.
If they will only come premade that will be bad for me.

KarlSmith wrote:

For me the soldering and assembly of the kits is the most fun.
I hate sequencing and I'm poor at it.
Give me fab work (mega/mini trees ,LOR kits) any day.
If they will only come premade that will be bad for me.

Fortunately there are many very gifted individuals on these forms that have been willing to share with us some of their insights how to make lights truely dance to the music.