Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 and Windows Media Player

Surfing4Dough

Does anybody know if S3 will be relying on Windows Media Player (WMP) for audio duties as it has in the past with previous versions? Yesterday I started having S2 crash when it goes to play the sequence (doesn't crash with non-musical animation sequences). Right after I press the Play button, it pauses for a second (like it is encountering an outside problem) and then it crashes. I re-downloaded S2 and "repaired" the install. Didn't work. I uninstalled S2 and reinstalled it. Didn't work. I figured it must be a WMP issue, so went and tried to play a mp3 in WMP and WMP crashes (exactly as it appears to do with LOR). Interestingly, I just tried playing a WAV and a WMA file in WMP and it works just fine. So apparently it is just an mp3 issue. This is only in WMP, since mp3s play fine in VLC Media Player (which I have used for years since I hate WMP). OK, so easy fix--just reinstall WMP right? Nope...I have Windows Vista Home Premium and WMP11 for Vista is tied into the OS and you can't reinstall it separately.

So the easy thing to hope for is that S3 doesn't utilize WMP. I suspect this might not be the case though, so do anybody have any ideas on what this WMP issue might be?

edit: just successfully played a wav file in a sequence in S2, so this confirms what I suspect above.

Yes, as with previous versions S3 is using WMP.

(No idea where to help resolve your issue at hand though, sorry.)

Don wrote:

That is what I suspected.

So anybody have any thoughts on how to fix the WMP/mp3 issue? Is this some sort of faulty mp3 codec issue?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Don wrote:

So anybody have any thoughts on how to fix the WMP/mp3 issue? Is this some sort of faulty mp3 codec issue?
did you recently update wmp,I did it once and had many problems,but it was before I was using lor

james campbell wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Don wrote:

did you recently update wmp,I did it once and had many problems,but it was before I was using lor

Nope, and that is the problem--you can't upgrade to WMP12 from WMP11 unless you have Win7. I even checked, and there hasn't been and Windows Updates this past few weeks that pertained to WMP.

JBullard wrote:

is this with all MP3 files or just one?

Might be a codec issue.

All mp3s. Not sure how to fix/change a codec for WMP. But agree that that might be the problem. They work fine in the VLC Media Player, but I have read that it doesn't use codecs the same way.

mbettez wrote:

convert mp3's to wav?

It requires a Music Editor, I use Magix Music Editor 2.0 to convert between WAV and MP3 formats. Sometimes it takes some work to do, sometimes it's just a matter of a couple clicks to convert the file(s). I can do it in batches or single files. It came with the purchase of the Magix Video Deluxe video editing software I purchased. I also sometimes use NERO's WAVE EDIT to convert an MP3 to WAV, it will convert files to MP3 format, but you have to be pay to open that option. It will allow you to do 10 files for free, then requires a registration fee for the MP3PRO option to continue to be used to do this. So I use the Magix Music Editor for 99% of all my conversions.

I would think Audacity (I don't use it, so those that do would have to confirm this) would allow you to convert between audio formats as well by a few clicks.

Now if you do not have an audio converter, there is another way to do this, requires recording the MP3 as it plays via the a WAV RECORDER, the Windows basic sound recorder won't work as it only allows a certain length to be recorded, so you need some type of WAV recorder with unlimited recording length to do it. This is how I used to do it before I got the music editor, but in doing this it requires you go into your sound cards control panel and set things up so that it can "hear" the MP3 playing as it records it. Each sound card is different, but you have to select an option from the "record" menu of the sound card control panel. On mine this option to select and make active is "Stereo Mix", which allows the recorder to HEAR the other player as the MP3 file plays. Then I just record it. This is by far too much work and is somewhat complicated for the novice user.

Your best bet is to buy or find a free program that will convert your audio files between several types of formats, much easier and a lot less headaches in doing so!

As a matter of fact here is a really decent and COMPLETELY FREE Audio Converter, I also use this one as it does some formats that my "commercial software" doesn't support! And this software is very reliable, and it is very good for conversions, I highly recommend it and the price is right too! And they update their software on a regular basis too!

DVDVideoSoft Audio Converter (FREE)

To download, go here:

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Audio-Converter.htm

You can see ALL their ABSOLUTELY FREE software here: (and I use quite a lot of their software on a regular basis!)

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software-download.htm

Have fun and enjoy.

For what it's worth. WMP doesn't appear to like DRM encoded files and as far as I know the only workaround is to re-encode the file and lose the DRM encoding, it's a pain in the a$$ to do it, but I've done it by doing it the hard way, recording the DRM when playing to a stereo WAV form, then import into my music editor and export as an MP3. Since the WAV is a NEW recording of the DRM file, the DRM doesn't exist in it, so the newly created MP3 from this WAV is now DRM free.

I use a program called Sonique (A free MP3 player) to play the DRM MP3 and record using another program. Requires some specific sound card control settings be set to do it, but it CAN be done and the DRM can be defeated in this way.

That's why DRM's started disappearing not too long after they started, because there was no way they could truly protect an MP3 or music CD from being recorded by another means to defeat the DRM encoding.

And I (and others on music sites) even tried to tell the music moguls that when they started talking about using and implementing it. But they didn't believe their precious DRM encoding could ever be defeated, but it was, and almost immediately, right after the first DRM encoded song came out.

Could have saved them lots of headaches and money by never using that encoding scheme in the first place, if they would have only listened. Guess they had to learn it the hard way. ROFL

DonFL wrote:

If it just started, do you have a system restore point that you can revert to?

Does Vista have the system file checker feature? That might catch any file that has become corrupted.

Tried a restore, didn't help.

ran SFC and it didn't seem to catch anything related.

mbettez wrote:

convert mp3's to wav?

Realize that that is an a potential workaround, but use the mini-director which uses mp3s. (thank you for anybody who discussed conversion techniques--I am very comfortable in doing such things, so hopefully that might be helpful to somebody else that reads it.)

Hoping to find a way to fix what I suspect is a codec issue.