Light-O-Rama Forums

G3 Firmware update

Surfing4Dough

Anybody heard any details about if the G2 to G3 firmware update will happen this year for the PC controllers? I trust it isn't already listed here: http://www.lightorama.com/Firmware.html
(Not sure what the V2 version is.)

Figured this might be a good place to start this discussion and maybe even include some discussion regarding how to do such an update (for those of use that have never updated the firmware on a controller).

The firmware update is actually pretty easy.

Hook up a controller to your USB-RS485 and open the Hardware Utility. When on the default tab (LOR Control) look down at the bottom for "Firmware" and click. The 3 steps are listed there.

I personally recommend having one controller hooked up at a time, but as you can see there are other options.

SFD...I just did 3 upgrades for some used controllers I bought...had not done it before...maybe 5 minutes start to finish..with more time spent on connecting and disconnecting the controller. Once again, other vendors should take a lesson from Dan and company in the area of "how to makes things easy for your customers.."

And yea, I was wondering the same thing about the firmware upgrade...hoping to see some release notes to see what it gives me on a G2 controller, versus G3..and if I lose out on anything of value staying with G2.

Why would you not want to always use the latest addition of firmware?

The firmware has in the past been distributed with the software, no other downloads are needed.

I would suspect that with the release of S3, that new firmware for the Gen2 controllers will be included to upgrade to many of the Gen 3 features.

Guest wbottomley

I asked this very question Friday. Here's what Dan said, "Hi William,

I am not sure yet on that. Most likely it will not be until the end of the month.

Dan"

So... it's a wait and see game right now.

JBullard wrote:

Why would you not want to always use the latest addition of firmware?

The firmware has in the past been distributed with the software, no other downloads are needed.

I would suspect that with the release of S3, that new firmware for the Gen2 controllers will be included to upgrade to many of the Gen 3 features.

Agreed..the only action needed, assuming you have the latest software, and THAT has the latest firmware, is to load the controller.

Valid point re the upgrade...I'm typically the "upgrade if it is there" kind of mindset.

But, I can also understand someone staying as is with the thinking that if it doesn't bring them new features they want, they don't upgrade. I just got 3 used controllers last week where that mindset was apparently the case.

I'm not sure if this pertains to LOR boards but I wanted to point out that with most firmware upgrades (like in PC's) you want to make sure that you dont loose power when the firmware is being updated. What I do is plug my device into a UPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply) just in case the power goes out. I've also done this in the past with my LOR boards....maybe it's overkill but better safe than sorry.