Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else with a glitch???

chowell

I have switched to a new notebook running Windows 7 recently. I am running 2.9.4 version of the software. While playing my sequences, I am getting a weird glitch during playback and it occurs at different times during the sequence, and it is occurring during many or all of my songs....songs and sequences that I have used in the past so I know the music files are OK. The glitch is hard to explain but it is a very quick...almost like a "freeze" in the song that makes a grinding sound. It is very slight but noticeable. Anyone else experiencing this or is it most likely my new notebook causing it? Any thoughts on how to fix it? BTW, I am running it plugged in so it can't be a low battery issue on the notebook.

Thanks in advance.

Corey

While using the same OS and S2 versions, it's not happening on any of my computers.. Does it happen just on the laptop or on your old computer too? Does it occur if you stop/start the seq with the spacebar or from the beginning? Are you running a AV program at the same time (even in the background)? What else is running in the background (other Win apps)? Is the sound glitch at a constant interval (even 30sec-minute, etc)? I would try:

1) Disable the anti-virus software (temporarily) then run S2..

2) Try a boot into SafeMode, then run S2 seeing if its a Windows normal state thats causing it..

3) Un-install 2.9.4, then re-install it, see if that fixes it..

If its happening at ta constant interval, it sounds like a windows polling-thing.. like looking for email, or updates, etc..

I have heard of others using a NOTEbook computer with similar problems. Think it has something to do with the shared memory for the computer and the video.

Sounds to me what you are describing is like Windows Media Player is doing a quick pause while it buffers more music data in.

Of course, this would only be a quess since we don't know the specs on your notebook computer.

Yes it does almost seem like a buffering type pause although very quick. If it were not for the sound it makes we might not notice it. I just don't want that noise to appear when the show runs. I have not been using the old notebook with this new version of S2 but I think I will to give it a run and see if it does it there.

chowell wrote:

I have switched to a new notebook running Windows 7 recently. I am running 2.9.4 version of the software. While playing my sequences, I am getting a weird glitch during playback and it occurs at different times during the sequence, and it is occurring during many or all of my songs....songs and sequences that I have used in the past so I know the music files are OK. The glitch is hard to explain but it is a very quick...almost like a "freeze" in the song that makes a grinding sound. It is very slight but noticeable. Anyone else experiencing this or is it most likely my new notebook causing it? Any thoughts on how to fix it? BTW, I am running it plugged in so it can't be a low battery issue on the notebook.

Thanks in advance.

Corey

I had the same issue and it was the wifi searching for a network. I disabled the network and it worked fine after that. also if it finds a wifi network it also works fine

This is one thing that I have found out about networks. I maintain production machines that use computers to record production data. Network activity does not show up as CPU usage.

I agree, shared memory (RAM) with the display is not good. So, my next laptop will cost a few more clams, but will not have shared memory. I also agree, disable your networks to include WiFi and bluetooth. Also if it has been awhile since last reboot. I suggest a reboot to free up any memory loss. And I am hearing that Window 7 needs 2GB of ram to really run well.

I agree, if you dedicate that laptop to just sequencing/running the show, I'd disconnect it from your wifi network, shutting off the wifi card, disable your anti-virus (after running a full scan first), and unload as many background programs you can to free up memory... oh, and disable Sleep or Hibernate mode too..

Also, is this just in the sequence editor, or actually in the show player? If in the sequence editor, does it still happen if you turn off most of the visual updates? (channel button colors, timing grid move, etc)