Light-O-Rama Forums

1st test of CCRs from storage and something isnt right...

Christmas_time_karl_UK

I have 3 CCRs...testing them off one controller.

Ribbon 1 works fine.
Ribbon 2- majority of it lights up when plugged in with only a small section responding to the test sequence I have running, the rest staying lit up.
Ribbon 3- as above.

Tried a different controller to no avail. What is wrong :-(

All the ribbon gets power as the LEDs all light up (either on their own or through the sequence)

Can anyone help?

Sounds like the ribbons might have been damaged. One way to check is to force the controller to output its own test sequence to the ribbon.

To do this, Press and hold the RESET button when powering up the controller to reset it. After resetting, the controller will run a simple pattern on the ribbon.

This will verify the ribbon integrity.

I think the ribbons have damage...

My father put them in storage without me being there and he DIDNT roll it up into a roll, he just left them attached to the PVC mini arches and just bundled them all up making "nice turns and twists in the ribbon"

I could KILL him especially as were filming with a national tv channel for a documentary on Xmas lights.

Yes i have repaired and modified them before. What happens is when they are bent or twisted it will create dry solder joints, so all thats needed is to open up the area thats damaged and run a soldering iron across the pads, even better if you have a hot air gun. Then just reseal with silicone

Also many times i have found that its the pixel that is working before the pixel that is stuck on is actually the damaged pixel as its not sending a correct output.

edvas69 wrote:

Also many times i have found that its the pixel that is working before the pixel that is stuck on is actually the damaged pixel as its not sending a correct output.

Question - if this was the case wouldn't all pixels down the line from the damaged one be acting up, rather than just one pixel mis-behaving?

George Simmons wrote:

edvas69 wrote:

Question - if this was the case wouldn't all pixels down the line from the damaged one be acting up, rather than just one pixel mis-behaving?

The OP has stated that:

Ribbon 1 works fine.
Ribbon 2- majority of it lights up when plugged in with only a small section responding to the test sequence I have running, the rest staying lit up.
Ribbon 3- as above.

So this being the fact it would more likely be the pixel that is actually working before the remaining pixels that just stay on would more than likely be the bad pixel. I only say this because i have cut up many many 6803 strips and CCRs in the last 12 months and have seen many different failures with this type of failure being the most common. It still deoesnt mean that the first pixel that stays on is not the culprit but more times than not it is the pixel before this that is the faulty one.

thanks for the posts everyone but I am shipping them off to LOR for examination and repair! I have a lot on my plate at the moment with building animatronics and learning the DIO32 as well as being followed by a tv film crew for a christmas lights documentary!

• The topic was locked