Megatree Poll

Erik

Guest Don Gillespie

Jeff Millard wrote:

thevikester wrote:
thevikester wrote:
Your avatar freaks me out :shock:

That was for WBottomley...I may have bad dreams

Shhh! That's an actual picture of William... Please don't make fun of him... he gets very angry when people make fun of his portrait...

Jeff

ROTFLMAO

william love your mega tree design definatly saves on grass and concrete

Guest wbottomley

Orville wrote:

William, How heavy is that contraption you use for your Mega Tree? Once we move back into our "own" place and get out of this cramped apartment, planning on trying my hand at building one for the front yard.

So do you set that thing up all by yourself? Or do you need some helping hands to get it erected?

And what size and thickness is the metal plate and length of those bolts you're using to stake it into the ground?

Your idea looks to be the best one for what I may want to do, I don't want a MEGA Mega Tree, just something around 15-20' tall at most. That is when I'm ready to construct one of these beasts.

Thanks for any additional info on your Mega Tree foundation/construction you can share.

I pulled some old information I posted on another forum and compiled it into a blog: http://www.highcountrylights.com/blog/mega-trees-high-country-lights-style.html

wbottomley wrote:

I pulled some old information I posted on another forum and compiled it into a blog: http://www.highcountrylights.com/blog/mega-trees-high-country-lights-style.html

I have been looking for a good way to secure my first 15' mega tree. I like the mobile home anchors. How do you get them in the ground? Whats the device you use to "screw" it in? And have you ever had one fail?

Thanks in advance...

Guest wbottomley

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

I have been looking for a good way to secure my first 15' mega tree. I like the mobile home anchors. How do you get them in the ground? Whats the device you use to "screw" it in? And have you ever had one fail?

Thanks in advance...

A pipe wrench with about four feet of pipe attached to the handle. If it's good soil, it should be easy. If it's rocky, then prepare for a back breaker.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

Thanks in advance...

William, is your design for your mega tree setup copyrighted? (sorry, couldn't resist. ;))

Surfing4Dough wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
wbottomley wrote:

Thanks in advance...

William, is your design for your mega tree setup copyrighted?    (sorry, couldn't resist. ;))

Probably is on that "other" website by now.

JBullard wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:
wbottomley wrote:

Thanks in advance...

William, is your design for your mega tree setup copyrighted? (sorry, couldn't resist. ;))

Probably is on that "other" website by now.

I just saw it there on that website, with his copyright written all over it! Can you believe him!

• 4 weeks later...

To David Grygierczyk: As a certified tower climber, your photo scares me. If you are that high off the ground on a tower, YOU REALLY need to be secured. 27 feet up is enough to give your life insurance agent a nervous breakdown. When teaching climbing safety, the standard statement is to assume that a fall from anything over 20 feet and you will die. It's not really that bad, but if that's what you convince the student, they might get the idea to take it seriously.

I also would not climb that tower without guys (maybe OK if there is lots of concrete holding it in place).

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I am using a flag pole that twists to lock. I hope it works! This is my first year with a mega tree. I only will have 16 strands of lights on it though.

What brand of Flagpole are you using? I have a sunsetter expanding and some of the lessons I learned are...

use the rubber gasket concept at each section to keep the pressure off of the pins that pop out

make sure you use at least 4 guy wires and have them extend out at the proper distance from the base (the height of the pole) I originally did 3 on my mega tree and it snapped in half my first year. I got it replaced since it was under warranty (but didnt tell the company I was using it to hold 50+ strands of lights) so the next year I used 4 guy wires and it held up perfect during some high wind storms.