Light-O-Rama Forums

Megatree Poll

Erik

I'm in need of using a new pole for my megatree this year for 2 reason new location and last years pole broke in high winds.

What recommendation does any one have, rigid conduit, ENT, others? My plan is to go with a 20' pole and cement it in the ground a couple feet for a finished height of around 18' with the star on top. I do plan to leave it in the ground year round and perhaps use it as a flag pole during the summer.

It need to hold up in the wind as 60-70 mph burst are not uncommon in December with sustained winds in the 30-40 range.

With winds like that you may want to go with a ham radio antenna tower.

Have you ever thought of having the mast removable? Before pouring the cement (see graphic from Sunsetter flag poles) you could follow these directions.

http://www.sunsetterflagpole.com/support_fp/installation_instructions.asp

I have something very similar in my front yard. I doubled the size of the hole and cement when I installed mine. For my 20 ft Weber tree I use two sections of 1-1/4 inch black water pipe. I still use 4 guy wires.

Attached files 267963=14850-Screen shot 2011-10-05 at 8

Thanks Mark, in years past I had it so the mast could be removed but like I mentioned was thinking I would make it permanent and use as a flag pole when not using for lights, maybe that isn't the best option.

Mark Showalter wrote:

With winds like that you may would go with a ham radio antenna tower.

Have you ever thought of having the mast removable? Before pouring the cement (see graphic from Sunsetter flag poles) you could follow these directions.

http://www.sunsetterflagpole.com/support_fp/installation_instructions.asp

I have something very similar in my front yard. I doubled the size of the hole and cement when I installed mine. For my 20 ft Weber tree I use two sections of 1-1/4 inch black water pipe. I still use 4 guy wires.

Do not use this for a mega tree (Sunsetter Flag Pole), did that last year and with little to no winds it is now getting replaced. When I contacted the folks at Sunsetter I was told "see ya wouldn't want to be ya" as far as their warranty. Have only had the pole two years!! They don't stand behind their products.

The problem is that the push button holds "oval" out and the pole drops. It is a long standing problem with their product that they have never rectified. They also use a real thin gauge of aluminum for their poles which add to the problem. Have since switched to one from Tele-pole that is 7 times thicker aluminum and tighter springs. Should work nicely.

Agree with other, dont use a flagpole as I have for a few years and its a pain to guy wire it and pray alot it stays up. Look on craigslist or drive around the neighbor and look for a CB/Ham tower that someone wants to get rid of or sell for cheap. Either that or do with I did and buy a 5x5 lightpole and heavy duty concrete it!

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/47795-my-new-heavy-duty-30ft-megatree/page__hl__megatree__fromsearch__1

I have a 20Ft. pole including the star on top and what Ive used is 18' feet of 1 5/8" steel tube approx. 1/8" thick. I Pound a steel T fence post into the ground 3ft.and leaving/4 ft. out and then pound a 2ft. piece of metal conduit into the groud 1ft. beside the T post (make sure it fits inside the steel pole) Attach the lights and star to the top and four guy ropes and then lift it up over the 1 ft. metal conduit and drop down and then tie to T post. The ropes are then attached to spiral anckors. Seems like it would be heavy but I do this all my self. Then when it time to take down:X every thing is removed. I have did this three years now without wind removing it. I also have 48 strands of lights on the pole.

Here is what I am using. It is an antenna tower that last year stood about 18 feet tall. This year I did some modifications to it and the tower is 27 feet with a 2" pole in the middle that allows me to raise the top of my mega tree to 33 feet. Although I do have three guy wires attached, they are not needed. The tower is removable but it will remain in place from here on out. As someone mentioned in the a previous post, this will be used for a flag pole when the lights are not in place. At the very top of the pole I will set my windmill that I use to set up on the tower's concrete foundation when the tower was not up. If you want more info or additional photos let me know.

Dave

Attached files 268082=14857-Mega Tree Tower 1 (Small).j

Guest wbottomley

Don't find this offensive... but I'm amazed how people make huge cement blocks in their yard.

This is all I use and has worked since day one.

DSC00032-1.jpg

Yep. you guessed it. Only four small bolts that stick in the ground with three guy wires. They are 26ft tall and have 96 strands of lights on them plus a star.

wbottomley wrote:

Don't find this offensive... but I'm amazed how people make huge cement blocks in their yard.

This is all I use and has worked since day one.

DSC00032-1.jpg

Yep. you guessed it. Only four small bolts that stick in the ground with three guy wires. They are 26ft tall and have 96 strands of lights on them plus a star.

Sometimes the simplest things work better.

MikeH

Its to bad when others cannot appreciate the work a person puts in to making their display to their satisfaction. I work in a metal shop so "simple" to me is what you see, oh and I also have access to a 40' all terrain forklift, so it really gets simple. As for a "huge concrete pad" it measures less than 2' square and was primarily built to hold my wind mill, just so happens that it serves a dual purpose.

David Grygierczyk wrote:

... I also have access to a 40' all terrain forklift, so it really gets simple.

And I'd give half my left anything for the courage to go up 40' in a forklift... geez... I get anywhere near the top of my extremely stable 12' stepladder and I've gotta go change underwear.

George Simmons wrote:

David Grygierczyk wrote:
... I also have access to a 40' all terrain forklift, so it really gets simple. 

And I'd give half my left anything for the courage to go up 40' in a forklift... geez... I get anywhere near the top of my extremely stable 12' stepladder and I've gotta go change underwear.

Heck Missouri is right next to Washington State. (Isn't it?) Can I borrow that lift?:D

Guest wbottomley

David Grygierczyk wrote:

Its to bad when others cannot appreciate the work a person puts in to making their display to their satisfaction.  I work in a metal shop so "simple" to me is what you see, oh and I also have access to a 40' all terrain forklift, so it really gets simple.  As for a "huge concrete pad"  it measures less than 2' square and was primarily built to hold my wind mill, just so happens that it serves a dual purpose.

I guess you would need a huge chunk of cement in the ground for a windmill. If not, that thing would take off and land somewhere in America. lol

William, How heavy is that contraption you use for your Mega Tree? Once we move back into our "own" place and get out of this cramped apartment, planning on trying my hand at building one for the front yard.

So do you set that thing up all by yourself? Or do you need some helping hands to get it erected?

And what size and thickness is the metal plate and length of those bolts you're using to stake it into the ground?

Your idea looks to be the best one for what I may want to do, I don't want a MEGA Mega Tree, just something around 15-20' tall at most. That is when I'm ready to construct one of these beasts.

Thanks for any additional info on your Mega Tree foundation/construction you can share.

thevikester wrote:

Your avatar freaks me out :shock:

That was for WBottomley...I may have bad dreams

Jeff Millard wrote:

thevikester wrote:
thevikester wrote:

Shhh! That's an actual picture of William... Please don't make fun of him... he gets very angry when people make fun of his portrait...

Jeff
Looks more like my ex....

Arnoldc wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
thevikester wrote:
thevikester wrote:

Shhh! That's an actual picture of William... Please don't make fun of him... he gets very angry when people make fun of his portrait...

Jeff
Looks more like my ex....
Now thats funny, and I'm sorry for you at the same time :shock: