Light-O-Rama Forums

Dream Color?

trankin79

I have used 6803 strings, rectangular modules and strip with the CCR controller. It has worked with no issues (none that i have seen during testing anyway)

So if your wanting to use your CCR controller with other forms of RGB lighting like the 6803 rectangular modules then this is a good option.

• 2 months later...

edvas69 wrote:

I have used 6803 strings, rectangular modules and strip with the CCR controller. It has worked with no issues (none that i have seen during testing anyway)

So if your wanting to use your CCR controller with other forms of RGB lighting like the 6803 rectangular modules then this is a good option.

I would like to add that the CCR is not in the RGB arrangement and you may have issues using other modules, pixels and strips with LOR S3 if the software doesnt allow you to change the RGB arrangement to things like GBR ect,

I too am interested if Dream strip can be controlled by ccr controller? I have one of these 94 function led strips and a couple ccr's to play with.

Jeff Millard wrote:

edvas69 wrote:
I would like to add that the CCR is not in the RGB arrangement and you may have issues using other modules, pixels and strips with LOR S3 if the software doesnt allow you to change the RGB arrangement to things like GBR ect,

Purchasing Dream Strips from Ray Wu, you can ask for strips that come in RGB order. They work great with both the CCR controller and the DMX controllers.

Jeff

Hey Jeff... is that your review on Ray Wu's LPD6803 led dream color strip page?

What is the difference between the LPD6803, and the TM1803IC strip he has listed for use as a CCR replacement?

Ok,
I have been doing slot of reading and still don't really know what type of RGB string along with accessories to purchase from Ray Wu that will work with my LOR setup. I do know I want smart RGB.
Any ideas anyone.

I am also looking into the world of RGB and I don't know much. I have seen this strip http://www.satisled.com/intelligent-rgb-led-strip-light-smd-5050-30led-per-meter-150led-5mreel_p426.html?number_of_uploads=0 and was wondering if this would work with a CCR controller? I want smart strips for next year and don't know what I would need with this strip to make it work with LOR.

I have ordered some ribbons from Ray. I spoke to him about changing the order from BRG to RGB and he said that's how they are made. I can deal with changing the order in S3. Will post results soon on how these work!

Donny

• 2 weeks later...

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I am also looking into the world of RGB and I don't know much. I have seen this strip http://www.satisled.com/intelligent-rgb-led-strip-light-smd-5050-30led-per-meter-150led-5mreel_p426.html?number_of_uploads=0 and was wondering if this would work with a CCR controller? I want smart strips for next year and don't know what I would need with this strip to make it work with LOR.

Not a smart or inteligent strip, It emulates one by using nine RGB channels as opposed to the standard three.

• 2 weeks later...

ace_master wrote:

Going to order a 6803 strip for a CCR replacement...

Any thoughts on using this power supply for the CCR?

Just remember that the RGB orientation will be different and so you will have to manually configure this in LOR S3

The power supply looks good

Thanks Eddy... I'm aware of the differences in channel orientation. I figure I'll only have to lay it out in the sequencer once, so why not go this route.

I haven't learned all about the macros, but once the channels are assigned in LOR, will all the macros still work the same, or will I loose functionality of them?

Thanks Jeff. It was the fact that the controller looks after the macros that had me wondering... Didn't know how the changes in channel orders in the software would affect the control within the CCR controller. But if you'rs works fine, then It's all good.

ace_master wrote:

Didn't know how the changes in channel orders in the software would affect the control within the CCR controller.

The Macro Effects (Channels 152, 153, 154) don't affect colors, they just turn pixels off, so they will work the same.

The Color Effects (Channel 155) are documented for RGB order, so there would be minor differences using an RBG strip. For example, Color Effect 4 is "Twinkle red + green". Using your RBG strip, this effect would be "Twinkle red + blue". Color Effect 12 is "Dazzle blue", but with your RBG strip, this would really be "Dazzle green".

I get the impression that not many people use the Color Effects anyway, and if they do, they probably use white or random so it won't make any difference. I used a dazzle effect in one of my sequences last year, but I wasn't impressed.

My observations from surfing other DIY forums:

Pixel chip protocols:

6803 (same as D705)

GECE (GE Color Effects strings)

1804 (same as 2811)

TLS3001 (same as CYT3005)

880x (see adafruit.com)(one of the newest and most promising, but no controller support yet)

DMS9813

TM1803

SD600

Seems these originate in China development labs and only the geekiest people know the difference and why so many exist.

These same geekiest folks don't seem to want to be bothered by mundane questions or newbies, but they do respond if you seem to know what you're talking about. They're busy developing these things, ya know.

Also, a public THANK YOU to LightoramaJohn and LightoramaDan, who seem to be the main guru developers at Light-O-Rama.

Intermediate folks are out there buying and trying and posting what they found out. Some stuff works great, some sucks. But learn from others that have already been down the road you are traveling.

Buying from China is a mixed blessing; yes, cheaper prices, but the language barrier is still there, even with Ray Wu. Shipping is good, considering it's halfway around the world. Technical support is meager and returning anything for replacement or repair would be useless, in my opinion.

Buying from a US supplier almost guarantees a good product with support and replacements if needed. But the price is much higher. I guess you get what you pay for.

Newbies should watch the forums for what might work for them; many people who already know this information get frustrated answering the same questions from people who should have searched online for answers. The search function is your friend. Hint hint.

The LOR forums work great for people running LOR hardware and software, and even non-LOR stuff. There are also other forums that may provide quicker answers for non-lor or DIY questions. Like Planet Christmas, DIY Christmas, AusChristmasLighting, wireframe forums and several others.

This reminds me of the early days of the Personal Computer, where things were developing so fast in Silicon Valley that the only way to keep up was by contacting others. Newspapers could keep up, but magazines were terribly outdated when they came out 3-4 months later and the technology they described was already obsolete. See the book Fire in the Valley for an interesting technical romp.

Just my observations so far about this fun and exciting technology we are in.

AusChristmasLighting:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php

DIY Christmas:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forum.php

Wireframe Forum:
http://wireframes.freeforums.org/index.php

DIY Light Animation forum:
http://www.diylightanimation.com/

Planet Christmas forum:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/

• 3 weeks later...

What are you guys using to plug your dream ribbons into your CCR controller? (the little 4 pin connection)

I was thinking of internal computer cable ends (the ones that connect from to MOBO pins). Whats the proper name for these?