Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering Question

xmasboy

So I am almost done soldering my 3rd board and just noticed something that I didn't notice the first 2 times. In the directions, it says "do not install high-power heat-sinks until after you have tested the board". It also says "do not power board unless it is in a proper enclosure".

So how am I supposed to test the board? My first 2 times I got lucky and the board worked the first time I powered it after it was installed completely in the enclosure, but it would be just my luck to get my 3rd board completely installed only for it to not work and have to undo it all again.

Thanks.

Well I suppose you could put on those little flat heat sinks that come with the kit. Put them on to help orientate the Triacs and leave them on for the testing of the board. As for putting the board in an enclosure. Well that is the lawyer talking. If you know what you are doing and dont have to worry about a dog or cat messing around it or can keep the kids and wife away. And you can keep your concentration. Then put it on a non-conductive surface and have at it. When your done testing, remove the plats and mount to the High Power heat sink and mount it in an enclosure. Just realize LOR has to say it needs to be in an enclosure for legal reasons. Now what you do in your own home is entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

I use my own cases, and test each board outside of the case. Just make sure you are careful, as you'll have 120V floating around on the board, make sure it is sitting on an insulated service, nothing left from clipping wire leads after soldering, etc, so you don't create any unplanned shorts on the solder side of the board.

I do a quick test of the board with the light duty heat sinks attached (and yes, I've even skipped that a time or two), verify the HU sees the board, and each channel works.

Once its all verified working, then attach your high-power heat sink, and install in case.

As long as you are careful, testing the bare board before putting it in the case is perfectly fine.