Light-O-Rama Forums

How well do the CCR Ribbons hold up outside

Rick Childers

Hello - I have added my first CCR's this year, and I already mounted them on the eves of my house so that I could make sure they fit as expected, and to do some testing. My plan was to put them up, test, then take them down.

However, I was wondering if rather than taking them down just to put them back up in 7 weeks, "Will they be all right out there from now until after December?". The controllers, and power sources are completely protected from rain, not that it is raining here anyway.

How much sun exposure will they be getting. I'd worry more about that than the rain.

Otherwise the least amount of handling would be best.

I have one that is zip tied with a piece of nylon string on each side. These two pieces of string hang on my mega tree hook. After the lights are hoisted up the bottom of the strings are tied off to the bottom of the mega tree. The wind does whip the CCR around quite a bit, and I have had no problems with it.

The front of my house faces west, so they get lots of sun exposure. I have them tie wrapped directly to the eaves, so they are safe from wind. I would think that as long as the casing can handle the sun it should be all right. Next year they won't be going up until a couple weeks before I turn on the display. My biggest worries come from the hail storms. We usually get a couple in December.

>12 weeks of western sun exposure in Texas will test them. It'll be nice to know how they do. Your eves are not metal are they?
Maybe someone will chim in who has already tested them.
Mine are usually exposed to the western sun for about 8 weeks. I have seen no problem with them.

The eaves are wood, and this Texas heat has been a monster. They have been up for about two weeks now. If I leave them up, it will be about 14 weeks total. My lighting budget won't handle the loss of 3 ribbons.

Well, look at it this way. What ever their life span is going to be may be shortened by one lighting season by leaving them up.

I've had a couple ribbons outside mostly in the sun for the better part of two years now and they show no signs of being any the worse for wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick Childers wrote:

Hello - I have added my first CCR's this year, and I already mounted them on the eves of my house so that I could make sure they fit as expected, and to do some testing. My plan was to put them up, test, then take them down.

However, I was wondering if rather than taking them down just to put them back up in 7 weeks, "Will they be all right out there from now until after December?". The controllers, and power sources are completely protected from rain, not that it is raining here anyway.

Last year I put up 6 CCRs to outline my eaces. They are relatively well protected and only get a little morning sun exposure. I felt I may do more damage taking them down and replacing them, so I left them up all year.

Just tested them to-night - all are working fine. They will stay up again next year also.

Geoff

That is very good to know. I plan to take them down when weather permits after new years, but good to know that I do not have to worry about it. Thanks for letting me know :cool:

This is my 2nd year with my CCR matrix and I purchased another ribbon from this years sale and used the new ribbon to add to the matirx and the difference in the plastic/rubber casing is very noticable. there is a yellowing after a period of time and I am in the Northeren part of West Virginia

Thanks for the info. I love these CCR's, but I really have to protect the investment I am making in them. My budget would not allow for having to replace bad ribbons.

• The topic was locked