Light-O-Rama Forums

Sales??

Dave Boros

trankin79 wrote:

wicket82 wrote:
I keep seeing that the EDM-LCD-CS-EP unit isnot a plug and play. How much do you have to solder? I work at a computer replace store and my soldering skills aren't the best. It gets the job done for what I need done. Haha. Just trying to figure all this out before I spend $150 on something and I can't get it to work right after soldering on it. Again I could be wrong but that's what i get after reading about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just the power plug on, three joints. EASY as it could get.

T

Yep, I used a cheapo radio shack solder iron, and did it just this morning in under 15 minutes, including letting the iron heat up, removing the 8 screws holding the board to the case, putting it all back together, and making sure it powered on.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Boros

• toddmoon

• Surfing4Dough

• jim6918

wicket82 wrote:

I keep seeing that the EDM-LCD-CS-EP unit isnot a plug and play. How much do you have to solder? I work at a computer replace store and my soldering skills aren't the best. It gets the job done for what I need done. Haha. Just trying to figure all this out before I spend $150 on something and I can't get it to work right after soldering on it. Again I could be wrong but that's what i get after reading about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I just bought one. There are three little leads to solder. It's as simple as touching the soldering iron to the socket and letting the solder melt into it until it fills up. It is so simple. My wife has never touched a soldering iron, but she when she watched me do it, she said she could have done it easily. Just read the instructions, you will have no problem.

This is were I got mine 6 months ago. 1.5 Amp FM transmitter. The service was great.
The transmitter was in stock and I got it quick. They use Paypal.
The small antenna that comes with it worked really good. It went out about a 1/4 of a mile. I bought the external antenna, connector end on the external antenna is a BNC type and the FM transmiter connector is a SMA type so I had to buy a converter, Hlly Electronics did not sell that at that time so I found it from a vendor on the internet.
I installed the external antenna and had the power on the FM transmitter set at 8, the signal went out 1 mile in the city.

FM transmitter 1.5 Amp
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/hlly-15w-tx01s-power-adjustable-fm-transmitter-for-home-black-p-187.html

External antenna:
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/portable-fm-transmitter-gp-antenna-p-50.html

Attached files 266220=14767-1AMP FM Transmitter.jpg

wicket82 wrote:

Even if you have never soldered in your life it is a simple as it can get. They have to do it that way to keep it legal. All you do is solider the power leads to the connections it is very straight forward a simple. Even a first timer can have the kit up and running in under 15 minutes if you have a solder unit to do the job. If not see if you can borrow one or just buy one at home depot or where ever.

wicket82 wrote:

See page 6 of this EDM manual for good pictures (not the exact model, but the process is the same):
http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf

I think im gonna end up going with the EDM-LCD-CS-EP fm transmitter. I seem to keep getting told to get that one so I'm guessing it's a good one. Haha. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions on this.

And we have some more bear bait. Thanks for playing Lightshow707. I suggest you get yourself a good lawyer. You might find the need for one soon.

Lightshow707 wrote:

This is were I got mine 6 months ago. 1.5 Amp FM transmitter. The service was great.
The transmitter was in stock and I got it quick. They use Paypal.
The small antenna that comes with it worked really good. It went out about a 1/4 of a mile. I bought the external antenna, connector end on the external antenna is a BNC type and the FM transmiter connector is a SMA type so I had to buy a converter, Hlly Electronics did not sell that at that time so I found it from a vendor on the internet.
I installed the external antenna and had the power on the FM transmitter set at 8, the signal went out 1 mile in the city.

FM transmitter 1.5 Amp
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/hlly-15w-tx01s-power-adjustable-fm-transmitter-for-home-black-p-187.html

External antenna:
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/portable-fm-transmitter-gp-antenna-p-50.html

Max-Paul wrote:

And we have some more bear bait. Thanks for playing Lightshow707. I suggest you get yourself a good lawyer. You might find the need for one soon.

:)

rwertz wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:

:D

? Explain please.

Big Al wrote:

? Explain please.

As Will said, that transmitter setup (as configured) is not legal for operation by an average person. I chose not to say anything because it is one of the many controversial subjects on the forum. But I was happy Max did.

Most of the transmitters people refer to as "junk" on here are that way because they actually meet the requirements of the FCC rules. Basically if your signal can be received more that a block or two away from your house, you're probably breaking the law. The risk of getting caught increases with the range of your signal. Having a signal that "went out 1 mile in the city" creates a lot of opportunities to interfere with someone's reception and prompt an investigation from the FCC.

rwertz wrote:

Big Al wrote:
? Explain please.

As Will said, that transmitter setup (as configured) is not legal for operation by an average person. I chose not to say anything because it is one of the many controversial subjects on the forum. But I was happy Max did.

Most of the transmitters people refer to as "junk" on here are that way because they actually meet the requirements of the FCC rules. Basically if your signal can be received more that a block or two away from your house, you're probably breaking the law. The risk of getting caught increases with the range of your signal. Having a signal that "went out 1 mile in the city" creates a lot of opportunities to interfere with someone's reception and prompt an investigation from the FCC.

Thanks

rwertz wrote:

Big Al wrote:
?  Explain please.

. . . Most of the transmitters people refer to as "junk" on here are that way because they actually meet the requirements of the FCC rules. Basically if your signal can be received more that a block or two away from your house, you're probably breaking the law. The risk of getting caught increases with the range of your signal. Having a signal that "went out 1 mile in the city" creates a lot of opportunities to interfere with someone's reception and prompt an investigation from the FCC.

The FCC Part 15 rules give a maximum reception distance of typically 200 feet from the antenna. Assuming no gains in the antenna, the transmitter referred to in the link gives 0.1 watts of radiated power at its minimum setting. FCC Part 15 is based on a radiated power of 0.00000001 watts (0.01 microwatts).

Regards,

Alan.

Look, I have a real problem with people who are not happy with being able to transmit 1 or 2 blocks. NO! they have to go out and get an external antenna that will now transmit 1 mile away. Ya, I have a MBB that has more wattage available than what FCC allows to be "Effectively" radiated. But if you attenuate the signal and use a little rubber ducky or telescoping antenna that lowers your effective radiation pattern to several hundred feet. Your not going to call down the wrath of FCC.

Love you too Jeff. Wise guy :D

Max-Paul wrote:

Look, I have a real problem with people who are not happy with being able to transmit 1 or 2 blocks. NO! they have to go out and get an external antenna that will now transmit 1 mile away. Ya, I have a MBB that has more wattage available than what FCC allows to be "Effectively" radiated. But if you attenuate the signal and use a little rubber ducky or telescoping antenna that lowers your effective radiation pattern to several hundred feet. Your not going to call down the wrath of FCC.

Love you too Jeff. Wise guy :D

could not agree more,my transmitter is good for 300 feet then it breaks up so what it covers my display area just fine

I have not been able to find a transmitter that is in between 200' and 1500', and we needed longer than 200', so we went a step up. Is there something we can do to the antenna to lower the signal to, say 500'?, (like sticking a rubber duck on the antenna, lol)

The EDM unit that I got came with a 3' single wire for an antenna. It works just fine for a couple of blocks. Just for kicks I hooked up the wire to my outside tv antenna pole just to see what kind of range I could get. It was crystal clear over a five mile radius.

What you use for an antenna really makes a difference. The wire on my EDM I just have it thumb tacked to my wall as far away from any other electrical sources as possible to try an eliminate electrical hum and feedback.