Light-O-Rama Forums

HOW many CCDs on a network?

George Simmons

I was certain that I'd read that one could have six CCRs/CCBs on a single network. Or is that UP TO six CCRs/CCBs only if they're programmed with macros?

I've got three CCRs and two regular CTB16PC's (which have nothing plugged into them) currently connected in my usual single network. None of the CCRs are programmed with macros. The third one (which I just added last week) is occasionally missing/dropping commands.

Does that mean the network (which is set to the fastest speed) is over-taxed despite there being only three CCR's connected?

"Now the real question about supporting CCRs is the number of channels. For example 10 CCRs will have 1500 channels. That is pushing a LOR network to or beyond its limits. A LOR network will support 1500 channels with slow paced action but not fast stuff. So a limit of 6 CCRs per LOR network is practical."

So you are absolutely correct in thinking you read 6 were supported on a single network. Dan is saying above that a LOR network can support 900 channels with fast paced action. I don't see why 900 commands going to 6 CCRs would be any different than 900 commands going to 57 ctb16pc.

Are the commands dropped at random? If the network is being overtaxed then they would happen at the same place every time. If they are dropped at random I would try replugging and or changing the cat cables.

Bruce

The commands are dropped pretty much in the same place each time. It's just disappointing having only three CCRs on the network and encountering problems already. Is there anything I can do (other than macros which are way too confining) to remedy this? Shorter run of Cat5, boost the signal with a powered USB485? Anything?

Hmmm. I certainly don't have the answer, but I would guess there will be lots of eyes on this thread.

I am/was planning on adding 2 networks to my show this year with 5 CCB (100ct) on each one of them.

EDIT:shock: Wait, I guess 5-100ct CCBs is like 10 CCRs.:shock:

Two years ago, I began having the same problem. The simple solution was just to add another network. It was no big deal to do, just another usb485 adapter and assigning the channels to the new network. Once I did that, the problems disappeared.

post 19 of this thread LORJohn says

"We are hoping the new firmware will allow us to run at twice the current fastest network speed so that twelve 50-bulbs strings can run on one LOR network -- we'll see. This doubling would also apply to CCRs."

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26841&forum_id=89&jump_to=251242#p251242

ItsMeBobO wrote:

post 19 of this thread LORJohn says

"We are hoping the new firmware will allow us to run at twice the current fastest network speed so that twelve 50-bulbs strings can run on one LOR network -- we'll see. This doubling would also apply to CCRs."

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26841&forum_id=89&jump_to=251242#p251242

I see a couple mentions in that post 19 I am still waiting for answers to.:P

Even so. George is still well below the "On a LOR network, you can drive, at the pixel level, about three CCB controllers each with two 50-bulb strings." (copied from the mentioned LORJohn's post 19). 3 CCB x 2-50 bulb strings should equal 6 50 count CCRs. George is just over half of what they say the LOR network can drive now.

Maybe there are other factors at play here.:?

Ut oh. I see a problem there too. Thanks for making me read it again.

"Channels 161-320 are bulb string two." This means that while CCB may 'program' like CCR. String 2 wont work unless the CCR standin device I inserted has 157 channel changes from 1-157 to 161-317. This is really going be a pain unless a there is a CCB config fix tool. <- nicest way I could think of saying that without really saying what is on my mind.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Ut oh. I see a problem there too. Thanks for making me read it again.

"Channels 161-320 are bulb string two." This means that while CCB may 'program' like CCR. String 2 wont work unless the CCR standin device I inserted has 157 channel changes from 1-157 to 161-317. This is really going be a pain unless a there is a CCB config fix tool. <- nicest way I could think of saying that without really saying what is on my mind.

EXACTLY!! :shock:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Maybe there are other factors at play here.:?

I think so. I'm starting to believe I experienced a Swinder moment. I was only looking at (and thinking about) the number of channels I had connected in the yard - not how many are in the sequence and are configured to controllers. If I count those, then I'm over 850. And a lot of it, especially the CCRs, is fast-paced stuff. If the sequence is sending all those commands, even though I don't have the lights or controllers physically connected, then the math becomes clearer and I understand what the problem is. Never mind...

Most people only have one and need only one network.
In SE select the config settings tool. The network is one of the settings next to Unit and Channel. Its normally set to regular.

The commands are sent to your USB adapter. You need a USB adapter for each network.

This *may* be helpful if you have lots of channels and multiple CC devices. If you are sending many CCR/CCR commands to multiple channels at once. Meaning all on the same centisecond.

Wow, I didn't pay attention to this because
a: if George is asking something about the software, then I know I Don't know the answer
and b: I just went from 32 to 64 channels so I don't have to worry about large networks like many others here.

However, reading this now scares me a bit since I just picked up 4 CCRs, so my network is actually going from 32 channels last year to 664 this year. Suddenly the limit of 900 fast moving channels does not seem so distant ....

shredocaaster wrote:

K - so I get the networking BUT what if one is using an MP3 show director to run and not a computer?

Then you can only have one network

• The topic was locked