Light-O-Rama Forums

Large fake flames

evandewindt

Im trying to come up with some ideas on how to make large fake flames. Ive seen the small silk fabric units with the fans and lights to create a flame look and i actually really like them but none are big enough...

Im looking to build or purchase 2 of the following if anyone has ideas or where to buy one this large..

5' tall flame and about 1.5' wide.

Ive thought about buying a fairly large free standing floor fan and building an enclosure with silk fabric attached but im worried it wont turn out the way i want it and it will be a waste of money..
Something like this:

I have those enferno's and they look great inside but I could never get the light sheet to fly right outside. They would always blow backwards and stick.

So this year I tried this. This is my first test.

The lights are called enfernos and they run about 150 each. They are actually fake flame blowers that use a very light weight fabric and blow upward looking like a flame like the one at the top. I tried that in my show but it would not work right in the wind, so I just blew fog over the fan with the lights to give the flame effect.

Hooking up to LOR is easy. Just get one Tyco 110/120v resistor. Take apart two manual fog controls and attach them to the resistor and a basic electrical cord and also attach it to the resistor and then plug it into the LOR.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Dual topic here, but you could connect the fog machines to LOR by replacing the on/off power cord with one that has a relay as seen here. Probably would need to buy the dio32 or servodog board to run

Good site for servos

http://servocity.com/

Decently priced skulls, 1 axis, but you could always add two more with a bit of work..

http://www.cowlacious.com/

This relay that the guy demostrated is exactly the way I hooked up my fog machines to my LOR. It works really well.

Tracy West wrote:

This relay that the guy demostrated is exactly the way I hooked up my fog machines to my LOR. It works really well.

Yep, going to try that myself, he wasn't clear but I assume that you take apart the on/off switch cable on the fog unit and split the wires on to a relay switch?