Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR IPAD APP - COMING SOON !!!!

bob_moody

HA !!! Made you look .. but wouldnt that be cool?

and the funny thing is .. I dont have a smart phone, an IPhone OR an Ipad ...

But if LOR had an app I bet I could sell Sandra on the idea...

Not even a editor or complete suite .. maybe start out with a cool little app that you could pick from a list of shows (songs) and stand in the yard with a WiFi connection and start and stop them... great for testing and for showing off ...

Okay .. Now that everyone hates me... let the reprecussions begin ... (remember Dan frowns on bullying .. so be nice) ...

Bob

I think an app that would allow you to select controller ID then turn on/off each 16 channels one by one would be a good start.

Maybe be able to import your channel config somehow with all your channel names and such........

I have done some control using LogMeIn.com

I have an app called MobiLinc Pro that allows me to turn on/off/dim all the lights in the house controlled by Insteon.

A specialized app like that for LOR would be cool.

I use an app called RDesktop to remote control the desktop of the laptop running the show. You can start top or even stop the show, load the sequence editor and run a show from there after clicking "control lights".

Works great.... UNTIL.... you move out of wifi range, then windows (see using XP) freezes for a few seconds while it figures out that the remote desktop connection is dead. the music plays on but the lights stop.

Remote Desktop and or VNC would work. I have actually done exactly what you describe and oddly enough experienced the same issues.

With so many "Do Nothing" apps around for Ipads... I thought a native app would be cool although the Wifi range issue would still be there unless you have the 3G option built in...

bob_moody wrote:

Remote Desktop and or VNC would work. I have actually done exactly what you describe and oddly enough experienced the same issues.

With so many "Do Nothing" apps around for Ipads... I thought a native app would be cool although the Wifi range issue would still be there unless you have the 3G option built in...

Or, your Wifi range is good enough.

Maybe a good reason to upgrade/expand your wifi range. :(

I use the built in Remote Desktop applications that come with all PC's since Windows 2000. I have a headless (no monitor) computer under my house that stays on during the Christmas season that I can connect to remotely from any of my other PC's, including my Laptop when I am in the house. I have LOR setup on it and use it for all hardware testing and show running as well as any in the spot tune-ups that I need to do on a show as I watch it from outside. The response times are almost as good if I was running it locally. I know that there are RDP clients/Apps for Macs, Ipads and Android devices, though I haven't found one that performed real well.
One other nice feature with doing this is that I keep a running copy of all of my sequences on the remote PC as a backup.

Bob, how was the Merry Christmas on your roof built ? Looks great. I also use Logmein to control my LOR computer that is out in the garage.:]

Larry,

Thanks for the kudos ont he sign. It was actually very simple. I used 2x2 and built the frames. There is a 3 letter and 2 letter frame in Merry and 3 three letter frames in Christmas. The frames are bolted together. I use angle brackets for the back support legs and leanto frame.

The letters are white Coro that I laid out the bulbs on in a "printer like dot matrix" fashion. Each letter is controlled by LOR (14 Channels... 1 channel for the roofline leaving me on open channel for strobes on the sign this year) ...

The whole thing is about 28' long. As you can see I have the roofline to do it with.

I can give you more details if you want, but I hate to hijack my own thread .. LOL ..

Bob

I use iTeleport on my iPhone 4... no good for drawing sequences. But out in the field, it's a great way to work on your hardware and connections without bringing out the laptop and disconnecting stuff.

And it's always handy to be able to start up a show or sequence for someone at a moments notice from anywhere you get cell reception.

Try Teamviewer. I use that for "RDP/VNC Like" connections to my Mac, Linux Servers, & Windows Boxes (I'm down to 2 (LOR is the only reason I have 2 Win Machines!!). Teamviewer is free and I stay logged in on my show computer (no hard drive sleep, or screensaver to put the computer in sleep mode) and I connect w/ Teamviewer over 3G or WiFi. The connection speed on WiFi is as close to native as I've ever seen. I had less than 1 sec. lapse before the sequence started in sequence editor when I clicked play from the iPad running Teamviewer before the sequence started to play.

Nick

The root issue what BrownOut asks - The iPad wasnt built for external interfaces - no usb or serial ports. So at the verry leaast, that part would still have to connect to a pc, and the ipad would send signals to the pc. So you would have to write 2 apps.

I dont see the point as I would just use remote desktop to the show pc anyway.

But if s3 ever gets here, there is better chances. S3 is rumored to support e1.31, and there are plenty of apps for the ipad to send dmx over ethernet. In fact you could do it now without s3, but you would need to connect all your lor hardware to a dmx to e1.31 adapter, and it would basically be limited to hardware test, because you would loose the functions of s2. check out http://synthe-fx.com/products/luminair

Oh, man I got excited; way to burst my bubble! I really didn't really think there was one, but I thought it might be cool if there was.

I unfortunately don't have an iPad; I have an Android tablet. I have yet to use a VNC client, but it seems like that would be a logical solution. Makes me want to start developing apps!

njwatkins1 wrote:

Try Teamviewer. I use that for "RDP/VNC Like" connections to my Mac, Linux Servers, & Windows Boxes (I'm down to 2 (LOR is the only reason I have 2 Win Machines!!). Teamviewer is free and I stay logged in on my show computer (no hard drive sleep, or screensaver to put the computer in sleep mode) and I connect w/ Teamviewer over 3G or WiFi. The connection speed on WiFi is as close to native as I've ever seen. I had less than 1 sec. lapse before the sequence started in sequence editor when I clicked play from the iPad running Teamviewer before the sequence started to play.

Nick

just tried and it works great

Ok guys and gals, I guess since I brought this up and so many have chimed in with ways to "kinda sorta" do what I was joking about let me bring one serious consideration.

SECURITY!!!!!!

Apps like RDP, VNC and others are great for remote controlling a machine and they lend themselves perfectly to what we are doing with them. I've actually been running the "headless" PC as a controller since 2004 with VNC (and other apps) and yes it really does work great.

BUT!!!!

RDP and VNC (especially) can open security holes and exploits. I actually sat down to my PC once and watched someone who had used an expliot in VNC admin to gain full access to my system (NAT translation and all!!)

SO!!!

Make sure of what your using before you install it, utilize ALL the security features and when possible turn off or disable the services when not in use.

Just a tip from your old pal Bob....

Log me in Free is a great little product. I am pretty sure you can still use the free version and do just about everything you need for LOR on a laptop or any pad that has internet.

I use the professional version for computer repair, and that is way overkill, for our application here, but the free should work pretty well, unless they have changed the features available.

It is easy, secure, and all web based. I agree with Bob, security on VNC and other remote products can be a bit dicey.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/features.aspx