Light-O-Rama Forums

Tiki torch flame thrower prop

allLED2010

I built this flamethrower prop from some tiki torches, spare propane hoses and parts in my garage. Here is the clip on youtube:

Added by Light-O-Rama:

Caution: Light-O-Rama products are not rated for pyrotechnical applications. Such control systems have fail-safe features that prevent unexpected firing of channels. You would not want a flame thrower going off when someone/thing is in harms way.

yeah the first time i lit it off i had no regulator on it. My side door to my garage was just cracked open and blew it open from the force of the flame when i hit the switch haha! So now i toned it down a bit with the adjustable regulator. And yes it is controlled by a 120v solenoid valve, being in the hvac trade they are readily available from my truck for FREE :(

Here are some close up pics of the building of the torches.
Assembly of the custom burners
P9141081.jpg
I hard soldered 1/2 inch copper pipe strap to hold the orfice and burner together.
P9141082.jpg
Close up of the burner attached to the 10ft propane hoses. Made from one 3/4X3/8 copper reducing coupling and one 1/2X3/8 reducer and a short piece of 3/8 copper pipe.
P9141085.jpg
120V gas solenoid coil to control from my LOR.
P9141084.jpg
burner attached to tiki torch.
P9141086.jpg
Burner and hose painted to hide the surprise in the dark!
P9141083.jpg

• 3 months later...

Very Cool. I would love to try this but I know how my attempt at this would end up. You guys would read about it on the Darwin Awards website.

haha, I was a bit nervous at first but it ran from thanksgiving to new year with no problems. The best part was the flame was visible for about 2 miles down the road. Looked really cool seeing it over the treetops from down the road.

lol, yes. I have an unused stone chimney that extends about 4 feet above my roof. I strapped the torch expansion tank (a 20 pound propane tank) to the top of the chimney. The torch head was 1/2" copper attached to an asco solenoid valve. The expansion tank was supplied by another 20lb tank on the ground with a regulator and hose running up the chimney. The flame was lit by a 15,000volt neon sign transformer that created a 2" spark at the top of the torch head. I ran about 20psi on the regulator and got a 15-20' flame. Overall quite the crowd pleaser.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This is very impressive!!!!!
It makes me glad to be getting into the market.

For those who are a little worried (as I was) about getting into DIY fire,
my company is on the verge of offering complete electronic-start, LPG and oil based fire projectors. These units are prebuilt and as easy to work with as any lighting unit you might already own. They run on DMX and some can even change the color of their fire :).

Does this sound like something you would be interested in?

JHolmes wrote:

my company is on the verge of offering complete electronic-start, LPG and oil based fire projectors. These units are prebuilt and as easy to work with as any lighting unit you might already own. They run on DMX and some can even change the color of their fire :P.

That sounds really cool. How much would these units run?

Jerry

JHolmes wrote:

my company is on the verge of offering complete electronic-start, LPG and oil based fire projectors. These units are prebuilt and as easy to work with as any lighting unit you might already own. They run on DMX and some can even change the color of their fire :).

I would be very interested, as long as they were safe, practical and reasonable in cost. :P

This is very interesting, and I'd like to look into it.

I was wondering how you keep the flame from getting into the hoses and causing an explosion?

What is an expansion tank for?

Where do you get the specialized parts, regulators, lines, expansion tank etc...

Does it require DMX, or can a regular LOR controller or DC controller?

Thanks

Jerry

mbettez wrote:

So I used this post as inspiration and stepped it up a bit. Not the best video but this will give you an idea of the results!

Pretty cool, might have to come check that out next year. I live about an hour from you back roads. I'm in ludlow on the other side of Belchertown