Light-O-Rama Forums

1st post, 1st year....gulp im forum shy so be nice! :)

ToddH

sjmiller wrote:

You are correct, I was thinking of 16 versus 18 gauge. I was at Lowes yesterday to pick up some SPT-1 which they carry the 18/2, their SPT-2 is 16/2
how much was it at Lowe's? trying to decide if I should get it online, only downside of online is I don't think I need a 1000' roll.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToddH

• sjmiller

• Jim Saul

• caniac

caniac wrote:

sjmiller wrote:
You are correct, I was thinking of 16 versus 18 gauge. I was at Lowes yesterday to pick up some SPT-1 which they carry the 18/2, their SPT-2 is 16/2
how much was it at Lowe's? trying to decide if I should get it online, only downside of online is I don't think I need a 1000' roll.

You're probably right...you will probably need 2000' instead.

The SPT-1 18/2 is $39/250 ft, SPT-2 16/2 is $57/250 ft. For the last couple of years I haven't found any better deals on-line versus buying locally once shipping is added.

I start out each year with 500 ft on hand - if I need more I take a trip to Lowes.

Steve

sjmiller wrote:

The SPT-1 18/2 is $39/250 ft, SPT-2 16/2 is $57/250 ft. For the last couple of years I haven't found any better deals on-line versus buying locally once shipping is added.

I start out each year with 500 ft on hand - if I need more I take a trip to Lowes.

Steve
I was gonna say that was high because one of the sites i frequent had it in January for $70 a roll but check it just a minute ago and that 1000' roll is now $180 plus shipping. Guess I will go to Lowe's.

caniac wrote:

sjmiller wrote:

Steve
I was gonna say that was high because one of the sites i frequent had it in January for $70 a roll but check it just a minute ago and that 1000' roll is now $180 plus shipping. Guess I will go to Lowe's.

Bought from Grandbrass.com earlier this year and got a good deal. 18/2 SPT1 brown 250' for $22.50. Bought five of them and shipping was $17.95, so $130.45 shipped for 1250'.

Present deals:
WI18SPT1I 18/2 SPT-1 IVORY 250' 4+ $25.00 Ea
WI18SPT1W-E 18/2 SPT-1 White 250' 4+ $26.00 Ea.
www.grandbrass.com
search for "lamp cord"

Another place to always check is http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lampcord.aspx
SPT1 white 1000' for $0.11/ft
Better yet is the SPT2 18/2 brown, black, white, or ivory for $0.11/ft (if over 1000')

I prefer the $1 6 foot cords from the dollar store or on sale at all home improvement stores / Wal-Mart....
It works out to $41.66 / for 250 feet and comes with one male and 3 female ends on it. If one gets bit by a critter, I only loose one 6 footer and the 3 female plugs are very convenient.

Jim Saul wrote:

I prefer the $1 6 foot cords from the dollar store or on sale at all home improvement stores / Wal-Mart....
It works out to $41.66 / for 250 feet and comes with one male and 3 female ends on it. If one gets bit by a critter, I only loose one 6 footer and the 3 female plugs are very convenient.

Can see why you like the three female plugs by your avatar....

Arnoldc wrote:

Jim Saul wrote:

Can see why you like the three female plugs by your avatar....

LOL!!

More like just cheap and lazy :P
To make my own would cost $1 just for the 2 ends. Even if the wire was free, I'd still have to crimp them on. For the same price I do not have to do anything except take off the cardboard wrapper.

Ok here's a bit of an update and some concern :(

So my main holiday that I have always done something for was Halloween, that being said I know I waited a bit late to get started for this year but I was waiting for the sales.

Ok, So I finished installing the kit (controller) but never received the USB connector (USB485B) or the CAT5 Cable....so how in the world can I test the controller to see if its working or if I made a mistake in the soldering or connections...I don't think I did but still...how can I test???

I have been playing around with the sequences and .... man it is extremely time consuming and a bit overwhelming being that I want to start my shows by next week or a week after tops (oct15 is my goal). I started some projects this weekend also, made about 5 headstones, painted have to work on them a bit more this week. I am making a large chiller to use with my fog machine, that should be done soon. I also got 10 - 10ft of 3/4 PVC pipe in hopes of maybe being able to build a face or two :P My question is this on that, what is the cutting size that most used for making the base, I have 300ft of clear rope light so that should be enough for 2 maybe even 3 faces? But what about the base? 24"x24" sections? so main face be 72"x72" and backups 48"x48"?

I just need get cattle wire/chicken wire for the frame to wire-tie....but then back to the sequences...... did I jump in to quick or do you think it can be done and please I welcome ANY AND ALL HELP with sequences!! I will pay it forward! just want it for this year and then the rest I will study and get this down pact!

Oh and lets not even go into the visualizer that I can not get working with my pictures....just blows my picture to take up both my monitors and can not get it right...grrr so frustrated already ! :)

Please help :) advice

ToddH wrote:

Ok, So I finished installing the kit (controller) but never received the USB connector (USB485B) or the CAT5 Cable....so how in the world can I test the controller to see if its working or if I made a mistake in the soldering or connections...I don't think I did but still...how can I test???

Hi Todd, just go to page 22 - 25 on the manual and it will walk you through assigning an ID and testing. you just need to plug lights into the channels so you can verify they are working.
here is the manual if you need it
http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CTB16PC_Man_Web.pdf

Jim Saul wrote:

ToddH wrote:

Hi Todd, just go to page 22 - 25 on the manual and it will walk you through assigning an ID and testing. you just need to plug lights into the channels so you can verify they are working.
here is the manual if you need it
http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CTB16PC_Man_Web.pdf

Thanks for that info, I did see that but it does not state that I can connect this directly into my PC with the CAT5 and bypass the Adapter. on page 22 it states to use one of their controllers to connect to the control-er then to the board so was a bit worried if something was not right in there it would send a current to my pc and fry something...

Im a bit upset at LOR dealing with this, how do they send me half an order but forget to send me out the hardware needed? I sent them an e-mail last night asking the status of this and if it can be overnight....low an behold an hour ago I get an e-mail that the order shipped....reg so have to wait till the end of the week before I get it, no response to my e-mail or anything...just called them and that was useless...was told I have to talk to a Marry and....oh look...shes busy and can't talk to you now lol :(

Love the product but not a fan of that Customer service so far. Oh well...nothing I can do now about it.

But thanks for the help, and if you know if I can connect directly from the board to an open LAN port on my PC i will try that out..

ToddH wrote:

and if you know if I can connect directly from the board to an open LAN port on my PC i will try that out..

Connecting a LOR controller to a LAN port will not damage the controller.

However, it could damage the LAN port.

And it will definitely not work!

didn't you notice the adapter missing when you compared the packing list of what you received to what you originally ordered?

That's when I would have contacted them, if they charged you for it.

Todd, you do have only a little bit of time. but there is always next year if things don't workout.

I did respond to your pm, and am trying to help in anyway that I could. There is a lot of other members here too, ready to jump in to help. And try to make your show happen this year.

Get all your sequences done, and ready... While your waiting. so it's oneless thing to worry about. My pm is always open, let me know what else you need.

JBullard wrote:

didn't you notice the adapter missing when you compared the packing list of what you received to what you originally ordered?

That's when I would have contacted them, if they charged you for it.

Its a mute point now, but yes I did notice an figured i would have got some e-mail or notification...something...live an learn ...

evan.a wrote:

Todd, you do have only a little bit of time. but there is always next year if things don't workout.

I did respond to your pm, and am trying to help in anyway that I could. There is a lot of other members here too, ready to jump in to help. And try to make your show happen this year.

Get all your sequences done, and ready... While your waiting. so it's oneless thing to worry about. My pm is always open, let me know what else you need.

Thanks Evan, and yes my inbox is flooded with new "friends" :) Tons of tips and how to's are helping a ton, still with the time constrant makes it hard for a perfectionisit esp when it comes to things like this...I have over a year to plan for my next show and believe me I am doing what I can to learn what I can in the short time...but still want to try to get something good for this year. My Daughter turns 8 on Halloween, my little boo baby and she is so excited about all this....going to break my heart if i can not give her what she wants...don't make me post pictures of puppy eyes on here ;)

But thanks!! EVERYONE!! super super wonderful you all are!!

todd sorry you have had a problem with lor as far as feed back i can guarantee that is not the norm for lor thay have allways been tops in customer service at least in my experience.

t purser wrote:

todd sorry you have had a problem with lor as far as feed back i can guarantee that is not the norm for lor thay have allways been tops in customer service at least in my experience.

Yeah I was kind of shocked also, esp after all that I have read on the boards from others. I been trolling on these forums for quite a while before I broke the ice, so yeah....it did surprise me also.

I know they are getting very busy esp this time of year but it is no excuse in my eyes to be treated like that esp after finding out it was an error on their part. Guess i was also looking for some sort of "how can we make it right"... Its why when I did bring it to their I asked for it to be sent overnight. But again, its a mute point now.