Light-O-Rama Forums

1st post, 1st year....gulp im forum shy so be nice! :)

ToddH

Ok well.... HI all, ive been trollin the forums for some time now and I did post once, but that was just my fireworks on the 4th.

So after quite a while of debating and makin room on a CC :) I have dove into this wonderful world of insanty that you all speak of. Now mine will mainly be for Halloween and maybe others but Halloween is my 2nd fav besides the 4th of July...and to boot, my daughter was born on halloween :)

Anyway so I purchased one of the kits that are on sale, i have soldering experience so not concerned about that, and hope that another controler will go on sale or should i just get another Kit and get the software seperatly?

Right now I don't have a ton of lights: Looking for somewhere to get some good solid color net lighting (r,b,amber).

Currently have about 14 strans of amber string lights, fog machine, strobe light, some lighted props and just purchased: 4 rolls of Rope light 1/2 inch, 2 white, 1 red, 1 blue....got few sets of splicing accessories, some mounting stuff, and may even dive into making a singing face or two ;) Cracker got me addicted!! damn the crack!!!

anyway thought i would post and say hi. So any suggestions other then what is always posted is always welcome! (get out while you can, get a 2nd job, get more extension wire!,)

so...should I get another kit thats on sale and just get the advanced software by itself where you lose some $ or do I wait to see if it goes on sale and if so do they offer the controlers that are on sale with the discounted software?

Todd

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToddH

• sjmiller

• Jim Saul

• caniac

First of all, welcome aboard. I do think that "IF" they put the starter package on sale, you get a discount on the software. The software has never been a sale item. Most of the vendors have already had the sales on lights. If you can solder, which I can't, I would get another kit and solder it. And most of all, Don't blame Cracker, unless he twisted your arm and made you pay for it. It's all your fault and there is no turning back. Even thou you said don't mention it, BUY CORDS!!! or spt wire and plugs. Home depot has them online now for a good price, I got 200 for under $100.00. And again, welcome to our little world!

EDIT: If you are forum shy, you are on the wrong forum.;):D

I second that I have never seen the software on sale. The best deal is usually the starter package. It gets you the software & USB-485 adapter at a discounted price, but you have to buy it with another piece of LOR hardware, like a controller kit. I think the store item is the basic starter package, but there is a drop down line to select a higher version if needed. Last I remember, there is no penalty in total price to start at one level, and move up later.

Also, figure out where you are going to have your controllers. If you have them in the garage, or in the side yard, you should figure out your average cable run. Mine home show is averaging about 50 feet for Halloween, and longer for Christmas, more like 75 feet per run. Multiply by say 32 channels for Halloween, and and you need 1,600 feet of extension cords. Lets not get into 75x256 channels for Christmas.

If you are going to have the controllers out in the yard, you still will probably need more cord than you realize. At the city show, we have all the controllers as close to the elements as we can get them, but we still have like 25,000 feet of cable in the show. Well, maybe not that impressive. With about 1,000 channels, that is only a 25 foot average cord. And having the controllers out in the yard, you now need to worry about mounting them, and either hiding them, or securing them, or both. As well as the heavier gauge cables to run power to them.

The key word of advise, is never volunteer to help head up a large volunteer show. I'm still not sure how it happened. It started as somebody else's idea, that I wasn't even particularly in favor of. Somehow in the first two years, I wound up being more of the lead design & technical person. Now that the guy who started it left, I'm still looking for someone to take it over. It started with 13 controllers, and has been adding about that many per year.. 5x13=65 controllers, for 1040 channels, and I think there have been a year or two with more than controllers than that added.

Oh well, excuse me, I've got 1,200 pounds of LED lights to go bundle up in to 4 color strings, and not enough volunteer help to get it all done. :shock:

Welcome Todd!!

I concur with shfr26 about getting another KIT. They are easy to make and at 155 a good price now.

My suggestions-(take or leave 'em)
1- add your city and state to your profile. Might help tailor suggestions to your local conditions
2- think about using vampire plugs and SPT-1(or2)wire from a spool. you can make extension cords to fit your needs. ALWAYS use ALL spt-1's or ALL spt-2's. Don't mix the two.
3- Keep the connections OFF the ground and covered if possible but don't wrap them in plastic- important for them to dry-out/breath.

Most Important- Have Fun, Let your mind run rampant!

RE- the forum feed back- good or bad, it's just words. If you don't like what's typed, just let it go- (and wait until you meet the writer at a symposium)

Be Safe and have Fun!
JimH

Welcome to the forum and this great hobby. Don't be too shy we all have fun here and you get great info. my first year and I have learned alot from these wonderful folks,like not putting a weber tree on my roof or auto instant thingy:D no seriously if you have a question ask you will get help from very smart people.

Welcome Todd!
For purchasing lights, I'm afraid it is not the "sale" season. One thing that you can try is painting some white lights, if you have extra white sets.
Look at this article for more info on painting them.
http://www.holidaycoro.com/docs/Tinting%20Clear%20Lights%20to%20Orange%20and%20Purple.pdf

As for the cords, look around or talk to people in Florida. People have done lots of things to prevent UV damage. I've never paid any attention to UV posts because mine are safely buried under snow :)

SoCalJimH wrote:

Welcome Todd!!

I concur with shfr26 about getting another KIT. They are easy to make and at 155 a good price now.

1- add your city and state to your profile. Might help tailor suggestions to your local conditions
2- think about using vampire plugs and SPT-1(or2)wire from a spool. you can make extension cords to fit your needs. ALWAYS use ALL spt-1's or ALL spt-2's. Don't mix the two.
3- Keep the connections OFF the ground and covered if possible but don't wrap them in plastic- important for them to dry-out/breath.

RE- the forum feed back- good or bad, it's just words. If you don't like what's typed, just let it go- (and wait until you meet the writer at a symposium)

Be Safe and have Fun!
JimH

Thanks again all for the welcome and the tips. I updated my profile, didn't even know I didn't prior! :)

I will look into getting a spool of the SP1 or 2, is there a pro/con to them? one better then the other?

The controlers will be outside the front of my home behind some shrubs where I have a power source outside so its all hidden. I think I will do what you all suggested and just get another kit and get the software seperatly. However I don't think I will get everything in time to set up for this year so... oh well right!

Also anyone have any sorce for good supplier for lights for halloween that carry the colors that are needed, also I was thinking of getting some c7/c9 spools and lights 2 sets to create a chasing effect that I can have outlined on my house..? thoughts?

ToddH wrote:

SoCalJimH wrote:
Welcome Todd!!

Be Safe and have Fun!
JimH

Thanks again all for the welcome and the tips. I updated my profile, didn't even know I didn't prior! :)

I will look into getting a spool of the SP1 or 2, is there a pro/con to them? one better then the other?

The controlers will be outside the front of my home behind some shrubs where I have a power source outside so its all hidden. I think I will do what you all suggested and just get another kit and get the software seperatly. However I don't think I will get everything in time to set up for this year so... oh well right!

Also anyone have any sorce for good supplier for lights for halloween that carry the colors that are needed, also I was thinking of getting some c7/c9 spools and lights 2 sets to create a chasing effect that I can have outlined on my house..? thoughts?

you can always do what I did, I went to WoWLights and got a starter kit and a handful of sequences. All I had to do for my first show is plug and go. Like most on here though I decided to kick it up several notches this year and started working on several new props in January and since. doing what I did gets you at least started with the minimum of fright and you can build on that next season.

Welcome! Its definitely an insane world that we have gotten into. This forum as well as PC is a wealth of knowledge. There are no stupid questions, just stupid actions by not proceeding in a safe manner. That's the key have fun but be safe and buy lots of cords and lights!

This is what I spray on my "indoor" extension cords I use outdoors and I'm in Central Florida:

Krylon Clear UV Spray in Gloss (11oz. #1305) and Matte (11oz. #1309) finishes

http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant_clear/

This comes in a gloss and a matte finish, I usually use the matte, but have used gloss if matte wasn't avaialble. I usually find it at Wal-Mart, think the cost is anywhere from .98¢ to $2.00. Just know it was within that price range when I bought it.

Just spray it evenly over the extension cord, let it dry and you now have an outdoor UV protected cord!

Orville wrote:

This is what I spray on my "indoor" extension cords I use outdoors and I'm in Central Florida:

This comes in a gloss and a matte finish, I usually use the matte, but have used gloss if matte wasn't avaialble. I usually find it at Wal-Mart, think the cost is anywhere from .98¢ to $2.00. Just know it was within that price range when I bought it.

Just spray it evenly over the extension cord, let it dry and you now have an outdoor UV protected cord!

Yeah? I was wondering that as i was going to get a 250ft spool of spt-2 but then didnt cause of the lack of UV an the other cords are way to much $$

Todd, welcome to the hobby. I mean obsession. This year you are talking how many boxes. Next year it will be more lights, more boxes, more everything. Soon you will be making suff out of PVC, steel wire, coro, wood and/or anything you can get your hands on. when you start looking at other houses and saying I could do a nice show there, you know you are HOOKED!

ToddH wrote:

Orville wrote:

Yeah? I was wondering that as i was going to get a 250ft spool of spt-2 but then didnt cause of the lack of UV an the other cords are way to much $$

Sprayed all my cords last year for my first show Halloween 2010, then used them for Christmas 2010.

No degradation, no discoloration from lying in direct sun and they still function just fine. Will be using them in my 2011 displays.

So this will be there second year in the Florida heat and sun. No cracked insulation from the heat/sun.

Checked them all over a couple days ago, all still look to be in mint condition and still supply power to the female connectors.

I did CAP the open female connectors and tape up the male flanges before coating.

Some cords had built in caps, so I just used them and then pried them open with a small flat blade screwdriver after the cords had dried. It's a little bit of work, but cheaper than the alternative of buying pre-made outdoor cords with the UV protection, and even then, some of the outdoor cords don't even have it, even the "expen$ive ones!"

Hi Todd,

Welcome to the insanity :P As others have mentioned, the pre-season sales on lighting are long over, however Creative Displays (www.creativedisplays.com) is running some sales on discontinued or over stocked items.

I will take exception to the advice to not mix SPT-1 (10 Amp zipcord) and SPT-2 (13 Amp zipcord). Use the SPT rating for the lighting application, SPT-1 would be fine for all applications using LEDs. SPT-2 may be required if stringing incadescent lights (C7, C9, floods) together.

sjmiller wrote:

Hi Todd,

I will take exception to the advice to not mix SPT-1 (10 Amp zipcord) and SPT-2 (13 Amp zipcord). Use the SPT rating for the lighting application, SPT-1 would be fine for all applications using LEDs. SPT-2 may be required if stringing incadescent lights (C7, C9, floods) together.

I take exception to your comment.

The only difference between SPT1 and SPT2 is the thickness of the insulation. 18 AWG SPT1 and SPT2 have the same current carrying capability.

Are you perhaps thinking of the difference in 18 and 16 AWG wire? Both wire sizes are available in either SPT1 or SPT2 insulation thickness.

You are correct, I was thinking of 16 versus 18 gauge. I was at Lowes yesterday to pick up some SPT-1 which they carry the 18/2, their SPT-2 is 16/2