Light-O-Rama Forums

mini-director

Ralph Priest

It is pretty straightforward. Just a cat5 cable connects the mini-director to a controller. Don't need anything additional from LOR to use it.

I bought a digital timer power strip to plug it into to power it and automate on/off times precisely. Got this GE timer at homedepot for $20. I also plug my FM transmitter into the power strip.
N0161.fpx?qlt=80&wid=331&hei=331&fit=constrain&fmt=jpeg

Read pages 9 and 10 of the mini-director manual for directions on how to attach a power input plug so you can plug it into a timer (it is simple).
http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/mDM-MP3_Man_Web.pdf

Below is the typical setup diagram (#4 is an optional trigger, and #5 is typically your FM transmitter).
LOR-BasicLayoutWithMiniDirector.png

1. The Light-O-Rama ShowTime Software works on your personal computer running Microsoft Windows and allows you to design your own shows. When your show is ready, the show commands and audio are transferred to a standard SD memory card.
  2. The standard SD memory card with all the show commands and audio is plugged into your ShowTime Director. The computer running your ShowTime Software Suite is no longer needed.
  3. The ShowTime Director (ShowTime MiniDirector or LOR1602MP3) runs your show and is typically powered from a nearby controller.
  4. The ShowTime Director can run your show continuously, automatically start/shows shows from it's built-in clock (LOR1602MP3) or use an external triggering device such as a pushbutton or motion sensor.
  5. The ShowTime Director has a standard stereo 1/8" mini-jack for connecting the audio to your sound system.
  6. The Light-O-Rama ShowTime Pro or ShowTime PC controllers include special effects such as simple on/off, intensities, smooth fading, twinkling, shimmering. Up to 200 controllers (each handling 16 unique electrical circuits) can be daisy chained on the LOR network giving you the ability to control over 3,200 channels
  7. Electrical power is supplied to the controller placed close to your lights so you don't need to run long extension cords. Commands from the ShowTime Software Suite are performed on each controller. Power to each of the attached lighting circuits is controlled independently. Think of having many dimmer switches that the computer can change very quickly and independently.

Thanks for the reply;the reason for my question was the LOR website mentioned needing an additional SD writer.Because I have a new computer,with all the bells and whistles, I'm wondering if I need to buy this software.

Have the mini director. It's plug and play. Easy as pie.
No computer needed. it runs itself from the memory card.
Your time will turn it on and it'll start playing

Ralph, most newer computers have slots for sd cards, if your's does not, you will need the sd writer. This device fits in a usb port and is used to create your sd card for the mini director.

Earle

Ralph Priest wrote:

Hey guys,thanks for the quick replies.I assumed that my new computer was good to go with the SD writer,but I wanted to be certain before the sale ended.

Just want to clarify what a SD Reader/Writer, just in case. The often look like a USB thumb/flash drive like this below, but you can put a SD memory card in the end. This allows you to read or write files on the card. This is how you transport your LOR show files to the SD card. You can pick one up for $5-10 at any Walmart, Target, etc.

kingston_travellite.jpg

Many/most newer PCs now have these built into the front of the PC Tower, such as show below:
943PK-unit.jpg

Either will work.

Hopefully not thought of as a highjack, but is there a limit to the number of controllers the Mini-Director will comfortably run?

I now have 10 controllers + 1 DC...

any caveats?