Light-O-Rama Forums

Wait for new G3 controllers or buy the G2 that are on sale?

Wayne

I am assuming that the new G3 controllers will work with the G2 version controllers.
I don't need anymore for this year but should I buy the G2 controllers that are on sale now for next year or wait for the G3 version. will they be that much better??

Do we even know what a G3 controller is? I know there were some posts in a thread about the expo that mentioned some discussion at the expo booth about the Showtime G3 controller (which I don't recall anything that earth-shattering about the new version). What changes to the PC/DIY/residential line of controllers though? And I thought it was mentioned that there was going to be the ability to upgrade the G2 firmware to the G3 firmware, so it may be a non-issue in my mind. All I am concerned about is that the price appears to be going up with G3. That will be a bummer. I was hoping to see prices come down as is the case in most of the tech world.

With regards to the spring sale, I wouldn't count on a spring sale. That is considered an overstock sale, and it doesn't appear that there has been much overstock as of late. Just my opinion...

I would suspect that the G3 boards have the new signal over power wire technology in them, so you won't need a Cat cable to run them. They also mentioned that they are mostly surface mount items, So they come partally soldered already. I would guess you have to solder on the spade connectors and maybe the fuse holders/transformer. thats probably it.

For me signal over power cable is not a big thing.cat5 is cheap and my yard is not that big that i need to worry about it too much.

I was just looking and I don't have a lot of money in my display fund right now so I may be waiting for the G3 if I want to or not

I seriously doubt they controllers will have signal over power. The reason I am GUESSING this is due to the fact as in the CCB the Injector is plugged into the AC the cat 5 plugs into the injector and then the line going to the controller plugs into the injector. So.....for a regular controller to plug into the injector you would have to have one injector per controller control side to make it work and support the power load.

A couple of the changes for the G3 controllers. Phantom loads to aid in better fading of LED circuits. Basically this is the "snubber" as we have used the word, built on to the board. Aonther change is the migration from thru hole components to surface mount components, which makes having a kit less practical.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

I seriously doubt they controllers will have signal over power. The reason I am GUESSING this is due to the fact as in the CCB the Injector is plugged into the AC the cat 5 plugs into the injector and then the line going to the controller plugs into the injector. So.....for a regular controller to plug into the injector you would have to have one injector per controller control side to make it work and support the power load.

A couple of the changes for the G3 controllers. Phantom loads to aid in better fading of LED circuits. Basically this is the "snubber" as we have used the word, built on to the board. Aonther change is the migration from thru hole components to surface mount components, which makes having a kit less practical.

Chuck

Seems to me with the Showtime controllers there was something about a LED or LCD readout of some sort, maybe indicating the controller ID, and no longer any rotary switches--but I could be thinking of something different.
Another memory...something about daughter add-on board capability.

Just throwing these out there to see if jogs anybody's memory.

brian.t.lowery wrote:

I know I'm waiting for the spring sale to buy my first controller, and it will be a G3.

The Spring Sale does not typically discount new products. Isn't it also known as the "Inventory Reduction Sale"?

cmoore60 wrote:
I seriously doubt they controllers will have signal over power......for a regular controller to plug into the injector you would have to have one injector per controller control side to make it work and support the power load.

I agree. If I remember correctly, the signal over power controllers are designed for LEDs only.

Dan C wrote:
They also mentioned that they are mostly surface mount items, So they come partally soldered already.

I learned to solder 30 years ago in high school. So I thought nothing of ordering this kit, which included a small, 8-pin SMD (Surface Mount Device). Soldering those SMD's was not easy, and didn't look neat. I understand why SMD parts on kits usually come soldered already. Here's an example of some of my SMD soldering.

I understand why the G3 controllers are more expensive, having worked in the technology industry. Prices of parts and shipping go due to inflation, but it's hard to raise prices without getting a negative reaction from customers. The solution is to introduce products with new, better technology that justifies a price increase. Then, discontinue the older models that aren't making as much profit, and have more support issues.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Seems to me with the Showtime controllers there was something about a LED or LCD readout of some sort, maybe indicating the controller ID, and no longer any rotary switches--but I could be thinking of something different.
Another memory...something about daughter add-on board capability.

Just throwing these out there to see if jogs anybody's memory.

Correct there was a LED display thingy. There have been photos posted. The non PC series board that currently have the dials for setting the ID, are being changed to do away with the switches. According to my discussion with Dan, they have seen them as a failure item. The LED board is for setting the address on the controllers. I do not recall if it will be able to plug in and be used on the PC series.

I do remember a daughter board mentioned. I cannot recall the function. So I will not even venture to say here.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Ok hi all,this is my very first post here at LOR and am a newbie,i have no controllers yet but have been waiting to buy since they are on backorder.So i assume when the controllers become available they are going to be the new G3`s,is this correct?thanks.

Raptorman14 wrote:

Ok hi all,this is my very first post here at LOR and am a newbie,i have no controllers yet but have been waiting to buy since they are on backorder.So i assume when the controllers become available they are going to be the new G3`s,is this correct?thanks.

That is correct.

Don wrote:

Raptorman14 wrote:

That is correct.

but based on an email response from Dan, the sense I got was, the CTB16-D/K series is going away, but the PC kits and assembled cards will live on:

Hello, Very few people purchased the CTB16K kits and we have been planning on dropping them for a year or two. We are selling the PC solder kits and most likely will continue to sell them but it may be a while before we have the new G3 version PC solder kit is available. PC kits are available today if you need them. PC assembled cards will be available in about one week.
Best regards,
Dan Light O Rama, Inc.

I read that to refer to the existing line of PC cards..."gen 2", if you will, being that Dan mentions "G3 will be awhile" and "PC assembled...in about one week".

Ok, thats me with egg on my face....:D

I honestly forgot about the follow up email from Dan..so I stand corrected..looks like the next offering of assembled PC cards will be the new generation of controller.

Sorry about any early morning panic or confusion I may have created!!

I do not believe we will be offering the CTB16K any longer. The assembled PC card will continue to be sold but it is a new card (same size as the old one).
Best regards,
Dan
Light O Rama, Inc.

--- On Wed, 9/14/11, *** wrote:

Subject: Fwd: Light-O-Rama September Mini Sales !

To: dan@lightorama.com

Date: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 4:26 AM

so
does this mean the assembled PC cards will be on short supply also? Or will there continue to be an offering of the assembled PC cards?

what about the CTB-16D/K?

Thanks, as always.

I hope the assembled PC cards are available within a week. If not I am going to have to learn to solder. Which that scares the crap out of me. I need one for halloween and its approaching way too fast! Yikes!

Ok, wait.. what? The plan is to NOT have kit's anymore?? Well that sux! All 8 of my controllers were kit form. Saved bunches of bucks that way. So, I'm going to be looking at a fairly hefty price jump for the new controllers.. *sigh*... guess I better figure out this DMX stuff sooner than I thought.

It would appear there will still be kits, but being that the G3 design incorporates surface mount components, they will be partial kits..so a little pricier, but would make sense still a savings from fully assembled.

The kits as we know them now, will be a thing of the past.

At least, thats how I'm reading it these days.