• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• displaysinmotion_will

• Paul Roberson

• David Rise

Well first you would have to get a BMI license (http://bmi.com) and that will cover you to play the song. By buying this license it also gives you coverage for many more songs that can be played.

Also for anyone who is playing music, either broadcasting over FM or through speakers placed outside, to be fully legal you need a license. Most times small displays are ignored (not exempt just not enforced) but there is always the chance that you will get a take down notice. So it's always a good idea to do some research and pick up the correct license deal.

morte615 wrote:

Well first you would have to get a BMI license (http://bmi.com) and that will cover you to play the song. By buying this license it also gives you coverage for many more songs that can be played.

Also for anyone who is playing music, either broadcasting over FM or through speakers placed outside, to be fully legal you need a license. Most times small displays are ignored (not exempt just not enforced) but there is always the chance that you will get a take down notice. So it's always a good idea to do some research and pick up the correct license deal.

How much did your license cost you??

This part confuses me. I already purchased the mp3. I can play it over and over and over, as many times as I want.
If I use it in my display, so what. I'm just playing a song that I like and playing it loud enough so that others can enjoy it as well.

To me, it's no different than my neighbor a few houses down blasting his stereo that can be heard from 2 streets over. Except he plays garbage that no one wants to hear.

Maybe I should call record company and let them know.....LOL

I don't know the cost, I have always worked under someone else who had used the license. As for the other poster, again small displays can usually get by without having to get a license but to be fully legal (and we all want that :() you need to be licensed. And technically your neighbor is breaking the law if he doesn't have a license LOL!

LOL.....Like I said, it confuses me. I don't understand why I need to purchase a special license to play a song that I paid for and legally downloaded. I'm not making any money from playing it.

Now posting it on the web, might be a bit different. Especially, if you are letting folks download a sequence that has the mp3 in it.

Example....

I pay for and download a song from ITunes. Now I have to purchase a seperate license to play it? That doesn't strike anyone as being just a little bit odd?

Ok....Now we're getting somewhere. I was right, my neighbor needs a license to blast that stereo. "You do not need a license to play music in your home for your personal enjoyment.1 You've already paid for the CD. You may play it at home or in your car for your personal enjoyment as much as you wish. You may also play your radio in your home and in your car without a license. The radio station already has a "blanket" license to broadcast the music you enjoy for free on your radio. As long as you and a few family members or friends are the only people listening to the music you play, you do not need permission or a license to play music. It is only when the music you play is heard in public that the legal necessity for a license arises."

I think that's why it's not necessarily a requirement, nor enforced on small displays. A few family members and friends is acceptable.

I will make the position of needing a license VERY clear, because there will be some that will chime in and say you don't need one. First I will attach my latest BMI filling for you to read that has all of the rules when it comes to who should or should not require a license. just because you bought the cd or mp3 does not cover the use of that music to the public meaning that if you have speakers, fm transmitter or the combination of both and you are putting on a "performance" meaning you are putting on a show for someone other than yourself you need a license it doesn't matter if you are not charging people or not. the type of license that you would require is a PROMOTER/PRESENTER license. now most of us don't charge anything to view our displays so you would be filling as a free or charitable event, now here comes the one thing to remember each night you have a show that is considered an event and is based off of attendance, so lets say that at the city park im doing this year there is less than 200 people per night viewing the show it would be $15.00 per night. the minimum fee is $215 per year but if you exceed that you would have to pay the difference. if you have any specific questions regarding a license you can PM me or call me at my office 513-679-1104
Scan_Pic0003.jpg

Scan_Pic0004.jpg

Scan_Pic0005.jpg

Scan_Pic0006.jpg

Scan_Pic0007.jpg

On a related subject, can you play a song on youtube if you get the license? I notice a bunch of LOR videos have the sound disabled.

I wasn't trying to pee in anyone's Wheaties. Just like me there is always going to be someone that tells you that you HAVE to have a license. It's all open for interpretation.

I am just trying to understand the whole copyright thing. Seems to be a lot of hub bub over nothing. I can play my music to my hearts content and if it so happens that a few friends or family can hear it, when they walk by, I'm still within my legal right to play it. I'm not selling tickets. I don't have any kind of seating capacity in my front yard, and I'm certainly not putting on anything that I would call a performance. Unless I decide to dance while it's playing....which I might do....LOL

You can interpret how ever you want. I posted what I found on the matter.
Let's not scare anyone into thinking that they're going to do jail time or be fined if they don't pay some poor rich folks their royalty payment for playing their songs through a cheap speaker system.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and you certainly didn't "pee in my wheaties" the majority of lor users do not get licensed but am I willing to take my chances? No. But when you are doing a light show in your yard or other property and "inviting" the public to view your show you are putting on a performance and you are promoting the music you are using. And when it says seating capacity that can be interpreted several ways, this doesn't mean you have to have lawn chairs in your yard. one of the displays I am doing this year is a drive through and we have to keep track of how many people are in each vehicle and at the end of the night we report that as our "seating capacity". Now in the instance of a front yard I doubt that you would have more than 250 people per night visiting so you could just report Whatever number you want

No not at all, like I have said most people don't get one, but the more attention your display gets, like tv newspaper and radio the more likely you will want to get a license.

displaysinmotion_will wrote:

No not at all, like I have said most people don't get one, but the more attention your display gets, like tv newspaper and radio the more likely you will want to get a license.

In other words. My 7 year old grand-daughter wants to put this show on, so does she have to have a license.??

Bernie

Bernie wrote:

displaysinmotion_will wrote:

In other words. My 7 year old grand-daughter wants to put this show on, so does she have to have a license.??

Bernie

Just a guess, but I would say that did not matter. She may not have to have the license to be legal, but the adult in charge would have to have the license to be legal.

Like when I take my kids fishing. I don't fish, but I have to have a license to be with my kids (in charge) while they are fishing.

Another example. Our kids have a gumball machines setup at a local eating joint. They are not responsible for the taxes, licenses stamps. I am, as the one in charge.

Our kids are 8, 6, and 5

All that being said, if its not extremely public (newspapers, magazines, local, national news) I would not worry about it.

But, I doubt "it's my 7 year old grand-daughter's, not mine" defense would work in a court of law.:D

LOL....I think we're all on the same page. I'm not inviting anyone to come see my lights. If folks hear about it, through word of mouth....

If you think of all the folks that put up lights for the holidays. Then think of how many play music, not just animated, but static as well. Just playing music for folks to enjoy. I'd bet less than 1% have a license.
If you're broadcasting your show to ET, then you're inviting a knock on your door.