Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Circles

Jim Saul

George, I was thinking the same thing, and I am going to start working on them as soon as the coffee pot is empty :D
Here is how I did it without the pictures.
I took the length of the CCR = 197 inches and took off the odd inch. Then I divided the 196 by two so that the inside circumference of the circles is 98 inches. That gives you a radius of 31.2 inches.
I then cut a piece of wire to 98 inches to use as a guide. I used the home depot 1" black polly tubing that is used for in the ground sprinkler systems. It worked really well because it comes in a roll with a similar diameter and is far easier to work with than trying to bend PVC. Plus I had already had extra on hand from making selves for my arches. I used about a 2" piece of ¾ PVC to insert connect the ends and put a screw through the polly into the PVC to hold it all together.
Right now everything is electrical taped together and I need to adjust the ribbons a little so that in-between the 12th and 13th pixels lines up correctly.
What I did was to start both ccrs in the middle so that one is going to the left 2 circles and the other to the right. They are going in a figure 8s. What I did not do and need to fix, is to mark off with tape or marker where you want the circles to end (between the 12th and 13th pixels) this way you can make sure that everything lines up the way you want it to, and give you a bit extra to have ribbon somewhere between flat on the inner circumference and on the side facing the audience as the full sized ones are. The maximum diameter bend according to the manual is 36”, we are at 31, so if you put these on at 45 degrees you “should” be ok but I have not worked out the math yet.
My other thought for mounting them was to cut them and splice in ½ inch of wire so that you can mount them on the front, but I’m not willing to cut my new ccrs.
As for sequencing them, honestly I have no clue. I’m doing a hail marry and praying that S3 will get me through it. I’ve been running a sequence for 2 ribbons being used as 4 arches through it, and have not even attempted to sequence them as circles yet.

ok here is the Video of them

Also notice the plastic amo box that I am using for the controllers and power supplies :D

By the way, the motorcycle is still not fixed :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So where do you find the 20' schedule 40 3/4 tubes. All I find is the 10' gray and it looks like an egg when cutting both to get the right lenght. I had to use string to make it a somewhat circle.

Just a quick note: I have been putting my 5050 led strings into 1/2" pex or wizbow tubing. It is translucent and looks more like a neon tube. The nice part is you can bend it fairly sharp.

You can pick up the pex tubing at Home Depot. Don't worry about the lettering on the tubing, you wont notice it.:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, i was hibernating for winter. :)
Go back to post #21,
"I used the home depot 1" black polly tubing that is used for in the ground sprinkler systems. It worked really well because it comes in a roll with a similar diameter and is far easier to work with than trying to bend PVC. Plus I had already had extra on hand from making selves for my arches. I used about a 2" piece of ¾ PVC to insert connect the ends and put a screw through the polly into the PVC to hold it all together."
I do not remember what the PSI strength for the polly tubing was, but it was the lowest (thinnest walled) one that I could get.
any other question or anything else you need, just let me know, they are in my garage so I can easily take photos.
The hardest part of these was programming them because LOR does not let you change order of the pixels in the CCR so I had to draw a map of each circle and what pixel was at 12,3,6,and 9 o clock.