Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar-demo 3 questions

robandwend

I'd like to ask any superstar guru's a couple of questions please...

Appologies for the length of the questions.

1. I've downloaded the demo version of superstar, and plan to use it to start sequencing the 6 CCR's I've ordered. Can anyone confirm that the superstar files (.sup) will be convertable into LOR3 format once it's available? This is what the superstar site indicates, but I'd hate to do a load of sequencing to only find it can't be translated.

2. I plan to make a 12 bar fan (topped with a star) from the 6 CCR's - each CCR starting with a controller on the ground going up to the star, and then back to the ground. I will cut and insert a small section of wire at the fold point.

Is this how the Superstar-Layout dialog (with ribbon-length=half & Controller=bottom) expects the lines to be layed out. ie 1/2 Bottom to top, and 1/2 top to bottom ? Or does ribbon-length=half expect a controller for each half?

3. No third question - but I couldn't change the title :D

Many thanks

Robert - Perth, Aus

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, your Superstar Sequences will be easily migratd to the SuperStar/LOR S3 or as I call it SSLOR
so go ahead and sequence away, if your using Superstar version 1.6 that is close to what LOR will be using as the Superstar Plugin.

I do believe Brian has his controllers behind the Star on top of his Tree, 1 CCR ribbon for the tree = 12 CCR's no splits. on his website superstarlights.com he has a detail with pictures of how his tree was designed and you can see his controllers going behind the star,

each CCR Ribbon is 17ft long, and if you look at Brian's tree his Star is on the 2nd floor of his house, so he's using the entire CCR ribbon

I would say you can achive with good results on what your going to do with the 6 CCR's

Let me answer your third question. by adding something:
if you physically split your CCR's in two your going to void the warranty, not advisable

Also if you looking to mount your CCR's in an easy fashion use plastic poultry fencing, that's what I do for my 12 CCR matrix. the grid that's on the poultry fence is perfect for laying out your CCR's in a straight alignment
and the 4ft x 50ft fence is worth the $37.88

PMC, Many thanks for replying.

I realise the warranty problem, but also realise I can't afford an extra 6 strings, nor have the room for the extra height needed. I'm happy to risk the cuts, as I've done similar with other types of band leds.

What I'm proposing appears to be allowed for on the demo SS in that it has a "ribbon half lenght" checkbox that doubles the number of lines (with half the number of leds).

My question really relates to how the SSLOR works when the "ribbon length half" checkbox is ticked in the layout dialog box. This causes (at least in the demo version) SSLOR to display 12 1/2 length cables (for 6 CCRS) - which is exactly what I need.

I also note that when using this checkbox the demo SSLOR appears quite buggy, with only the 1st 6 and a half lines (or 6 half CCR and one quarter CCR ) ever lighting when a scene is played - even when the scene covers the whole grid.

From your answer I'm guessing this checkbox is missing from the beta release - is this correct?

If the "ribbon lenght half" is available on the beta version, has anyone tried it? and does anyone know how the half CCRs are configured - ie my original question.

Many thanks again

Robert

No, you still have the choice of Full or Half ribbons in the LOR-SSL

being 1/2 ribbon simply cuts everything in 2 across the ribbon i.e pixels. It is designed exactly for your type of application.

you will be able to choose what way you want the 1/2 ribbons configured just like in Brian's Superstar 1.6 release
Straight, Arch, Circle & Star are your choices

I know you will be very happy with the new release

Thanks again Paul for your reply, I just want to check the setup I'm working on will work with SS (fingers crossed SS is available this year).

I received my 6 ribbons today, and was pleasantly suprised to find they included glue and preformed caps with wire holes specifically for cutting the ribbons.

With my planned setup I'll be using the superstar format with controllers at the bottom.

The first half ribbon start at the base and goes up to the star, am I correct in thinking the 2nd half of the cut ribbon then goes down from the star to the floor. The 2nd ribbon would then form the 3rd line going up from the floor and then down again etc?

Or do the first six halves go up from the left (lines 1-6) and then all come down again as lines 7-12.

Or does SS assume each half starts at the bottom (using an extension lead at the cut?

Do you know if anyone has used/tested the 'half' selected on the beta version - I imagine it is a feature that could easily be overlooked if no ones using it yet? The animation on the demo version doesn't appear to work when 'half' is selected, as several of the strands never light.

Thanks again, Robert - Perth

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note to say, with the release of S3 all my questions are answered. Cut (half) ribbon layout is clearly defined in the manual, and it's works with them wonderfully.

Anyone contemplating cutting ribbons - don't be put off, it proved very easy, and the ccrs even appears to cope well with fairly heavy handed soldering.

There is a bug in the demo version when set to half ribbons. To get the visualizer in SS to show all 12 strings, you need to set the layout for 12 ribbons, which will try to display 24 halves. The display does not show but half of the number you have selected. When you get the S3 program it works correctly.

Donald McBride wrote:

There is a bug in the demo version when set to half ribbons. To get the visualizer in SS to show all 12 strings, you need to set the layout for 12 ribbons, which will try to display 24 halves. The display does not show but half of the number you have selected. When you get the S3 program it works correctly.

Thanks everyone for answering the various questions. All the comments look accurate and are good advice.