Light-O-Rama Forums

After Christmas Sale?

Guest guest

Since they are sold out of what I want I'm wondering what I can expect for the sales?

Does anyone have an idea? Or is it more of clearing out old stock for next year?

I'm debating as I'm not sure what to spend my budget on in the after christmas sales. Whole bunch of lights or wait for LOR

If this is inapporiate, Please delete.

Tech:

Welcome to LOR-land. I have no idea what will go "on sale" from Dan, but I'm guessing he probably won't let us know until the day the sale starts.

As for the "other stuff" ... As you may have read, the LOR equipment is not the most expensive part of an animated light display. It is simply, the more channels you have, the greater the cost of the "stuff" you're going to need.

My suggestion:

1) Start looking at your local hardware/big box stores (Walmart, Target, etc.) to see if they have extension cords on sale ...

2) Lights ... if you are planning to use more than white lights, start looking for those to go on sale too. For those "showcase" parts of your show that the LOR box will control, you will likely want/need the lights long before they show up in the stores ... so you'll want to get them now.

3) Did I mention extension cords?

4) Any other display items you may wish to get: Lighted Candy Canes, LEDs, wreaths, etc.

Having said all the above: The new LOR stuff is supposed to be available in early 2006. You might want to wait for that, and just start buying the extension cords as you see them throughout the year.

As a way to gauge how many extension cords you'll need. Try to determine where you'll place the LOR control boxes in relation to what they'll be controlling. example: 20 ft from most lights: Then if you have 16 channels, you're going to need 16 20 foot extension cords.

Oh, and assume you'll want more channels than you buy. LOR channels are like Lays Potato chips ... and you know what I mean.

All the best & Merry Christmas!

T

Well.. not to take away from Dan's profits, but my personal choice would be to buy lights the day after Christmas... then, later in the year, buy the LOR stuff I want to get. (by the way, LOR II is coming this coming year)...

When you are out shopping the day after Christmas, make sure you get extension cords. Go ahead and think of the number of cords you think you need. Ok.. good... now.. buy triple that. Yes, you use the heck out of them with LOR. :)

"(by the way, LOR II is coming this coming year)..."

Okay I'll search for this because I didn't know anything about this. ANyone have any details or links?

Don't worry Dan will still get his money it's more like does he get it in JAN or later in the year.

I'll go check out lowes/Wal-mart in the next few days to get my list ready. I only plan on 16 channels next year then move up.

Brian,

LOR II will be a software and hardware upgrade wih many new features! Any boards you buy in the first generation will still work with LOR II software but won't have as many bells and whistles at LOR II. LOR I is good enoug hfor 95% of the people out there.

As far as extension cords, another option is SPT wiring. Basically SPT is lamp cord and you can put your own plugs on it. The good thing about SPT is it is definitely lighter and it is built to your custom sizes. I am in the process of getting rid of extension cords. Watch the Classified Ads section here in the next several days as I will be having a fire sale on extension cords.

Jeff

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Brian,

LOR II will be a software and hardware upgrade wih many new features! Any boards you buy in the first generation will still work with LOR II software but won't have as many bells and whistles at LOR II. LOR I is good enoug hfor 95% of the people out there.

Dan should probably clarify this. My understanding from the discussion at PLUS was that most of the current product line will be the same products for LOR II. There will be some new products, and perhaps some upgraded firmware, but the firmware upgrades are free anyway.

It was my understanding that LOR II is basically much nicer software, and some new hardware products (like DMX support, some new options to replace the old MC, wireless, standalone MP3 player, etc). So I thought a CTB-16D, for example, won't be changing for LOR II.

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

...........So I thought a CTB-16D, for example, won't be changing for LOR II.
That is correct. We do not plan to make changes to the CTB08D and CTB16D controllers. There will be new options and new firmware but they will apply to existing controllers as well.

Dan,

Anyword yet on the availability of the new software?

It would be cool to be able to try it out prior to shut-down of our displays this year. As well as give us time to see if we could plan any new "tricks" for next year's show given the new toys in LORII.

Thanks,

Tom

tabjraxa wrote:

Dan,

Anyword yet on the availability of the new software?

It would be cool to be able to try it out prior to shut-down of our displays this year. As well as give us time to see if we could plan any new "tricks" for next year's show given the new toys in LORII.

Thanks,

Tom

The new software will not be out this year. Early next year....