Light-O-Rama Forums

Text/E-mail when shows start/stop

RayDorman

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this... When shows start for the night, it would be nice to have some sort of alert to my phone (text message,email, etc). Has anyone tried this with any command line tools or via some other method?

Thanks for your thoughts, in advance,

Ray

This can be done. But you have to set up all the below. No cost.
1) On your show you should have an intro sequence.
2) in that sequence you have a command which causes the mail to be sent.
3) set up IIS smtp outgoing mail. For this you need the smtp name which is part of your internet setup. Like smtp.charter.net;
4) download the free tool bmail here
5) create a small batch file which call bmail. This batch is called from your sequence in step 2. Something like this.

bmail -s smtp.charter.net -t myemail@yahoo.com -f noresponse@charter.net -b "show started" -a "show started"

I would like to invite to read about the show control software MIIP. Click my link below to see it.
It allows you to control the show from your internet phone.

Ah, thanks! This is exactly what i was hoping for ....However, I don't see the link you mention in your last sentence? I'm a show control nerd, so I'm happy to read up on it....

Thanks, again,
Ray

RayDorman wrote:

Ah, thanks! This is exactly what i was hoping for ....However, I don't see the link you mention in your last sentence? I'm a show control nerd, so I'm happy to read up on it....

Thanks, again,
Ray

Click on his profile link at the bottom of his post.

MikeH

I use a tool called blat.

I have a startup.cmd file that is executed by my startup sequence. The command in the startup sequence is similar to the following:

blat - -subject "Show Starting" -body "The Lights are On!!!!!" -to -u -pw

is the e-mail address for receiving text messages on my phone. For example phonenumber@txt.att.net for AT&T users.

The e-mail address you are sending from. I use the e-mail from my ISP.

is the password for the sending e-mail account.

Indeed, thanks again, Ranger. For what it's worth, I'm playing with having LOR update a twitter account via Tweetymail (twitter.com/#!/dormanholiday).

• 3 weeks later...

Figured someone may find this useful... I had trouble using Blat as it doesn't natively support a TLS wrapper and I just could not get Stunnel working properly (as the Blat forum recommends when using Gmail). However sendEmail worked on the first try and supports TLS auth without any magic needed...