Light-O-Rama Forums

PC Controllers

Miller Automation

toddmoon wrote:

I have done some soldering in the past a very long time ago. How much time would it take on average to solider a complete 30 amp kit?

What do you think the chances are that the already soldered kits will come on sale next and just needs the cords hooked up?
I just soldered my first board last week and it wasn't that big a deal. It took about 5 hours because I did a few things wrong. I had no previous soldering experience at all. I just ordered two more kits. I'd jump in and buy the kits.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marksanctuary

• TJ Hvasta

• toddmoon

• displaysinmotion_will

Good job Marsh! 5hrs is not too bad for first time.. even with a couple oops!! It will get faster, just read carefully, dont rush yourself.. Greatest help, is magnifying glass, lots of light, and some good tunes to solder too =)

marsh28 wrote:

toddmoon wrote:
I have done some soldering in the past a very long time ago. How much time would it take on average to solider a complete 30 amp kit?

What do you think the chances are that the already soldered kits will come on sale next and just needs the cords hooked up?
I just soldered my first board last week and it wasn't that big a deal. It took about 5 hours because I did a few things wrong. I had no previous soldering experience at all. I just ordered two more kits. I'd jump in and buy the kits.

That truly is great, and a good testament to just going ahead and tackling one. You'll actually be able to breathe while you're building the second one, having gotten past the "there is no way i can ever solder" block and now know what you have to do.

One word of caution, keep an eye on the opto chips. Not once, but twice, I had one literally flip itself around after I soldered it in. I was SURE I had inserted it right, and amazingly, it did a 180...:shock:

I now separate my kits, so the bad apple opto chips don't influence the well-behaved optos..:)

I seriously doubt there will be an assembled, or even partial-assembled board sale.. Thats why Dan just had the You-Build sale last week, he's clearing out his inventory to make room for the G3 boards.. He will not want to have BOTH G2(present board) and G3 on the same assembly table, I wouldnt.. it just wont make good business sense to build both at the same time.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I seriously doubt there will be an assembled, or even partial-assembled board sale.. Thats why Dan just had the You-Build sale last week, he's clearing out his inventory to make room for the G3 boards.. He will not want to have BOTH G2(present board) and G3 on the same assembly table, I wouldnt.. it just wont make good business sense to build both at the same time.

the pre-assembled boards are by a third party company not LOR.

The assembled boards are done by some company he orders them from, which they most likely use some wave solder machine that makes lots of boards an hour. My guess the holdup is not on his end but the supplier. After all if your in the business to sell stuff usually as soon as you have it in stock you put it up for sale, because sales are what pays the bills.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Joe, why didnt you get a -PC16 kit for $89???

I getting nervous that I should not have waited for the partially assembled ones to come on sale. It sounds like LOR is having supplier issues and there may not be a sale on them and now the kits are all gone in preparation for new generation controllers.

Oh, well you roll the dice, sometimes you win, sometimes not. We will just have to wait and see Wednesday. :(

Todd, you dont have a spare hour and a half to put a board together? Dan said there are still plenty of -16PC kits on hand... "two registers open, no waiting.."

If you dont have any time to do them, send them to me, I can bang both out in a couple hours.. If you want to drive up to SLC, I can comat them there, you can pick them up at USAir baggage claim..

Marksanctuary - I may have a couple of spare controllers you could use this season. Since we're both in Orangevale, it may work out OK. PM me.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Todd, you dont have a spare hour and a half to put a board together? Dan said there are still plenty of -16PC kits on hand... "two registers open, no waiting.."

If you dont have any time to do them, send them to me, I can bang both out in a couple hours.. If you want to drive up to SLC, I can comat them there, you can pick them up at USAir baggage claim..

Hopefully the partially assembled kits will come on sale tomorrow. If not I will have to pm Dan and see if it is possible to get the kits for the sale price if there even any left. I may take you up on the help. Will have to see how it go's.

Thanks for the offer. May have to figure out a different way to get them though. Blanding is just barely in Utah. Do you ever fly into to Grand Junction Colorado or Farmington NM? They are a lot closer to me than SLC is.