Light-O-Rama Forums

ETA of CCB's or Not

Ralph A

Even though the silence is killing us, I am sure there is a good and justifiable reason for the delay. I feel LOR's pain.

They would never dissapoint if it could have been avoided.

I am also on Plan B. Not only because of the RGB's but I was hoping to buy a few more controllers in the summer sale. Now with time going by and my International location in the Caribbean where it could take up to six weeks to get a shipment at Christmas time, that's pretty much it for me.

(i am aware i could buy the controllers at full price now, but in these tough times any saving is a help)

Ron.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Don

• displaysinmotion_will

• ItsMeBobO

Jeff Millard wrote:

BTW Jim, are you making your own sequences for plan B, or have you considered Brian's from the SuperStarLights site?

Right now I am HOPING to sequence my own...but will probably run out of time and even though I think his prices are a little steep, I may buy one just to get myself started...

• 2 weeks later...

LightORamaDan wrote:

We received the first production run of CCBs. We now need to run about 500 strings through a QA cycle to see if they have the quality we expect. Will report in about a week.

Dan

Update Please.

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

What is the length of a set of 100?

at this time?

0 feet... :P

but last time we heard they would be 50 ct strings with 6" spacing and you could plug in two sets into one controller, making virtually a 100 ct string about 50' long.

Just a note:

I recall it being 2 (two) sets of 50' (25 count) strands connected to a controller. Not 1(one) 100' (50 count) strand.

Don wrote:

Just a note:

I recall it being 2 (two) sets of 50' (25 count) strands connected to a controller. Not 1(one) 100' (50 count) strand.

two 25ct at 50' would be a bulb every 2 feet...

I was going by want Dan said in this thread (not that it could not have changed since Dan's posting)

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=25718 Post #9

The CCB controller will accept 1 or 2 strings of CCB bulbs. The CCB will be sold in 50 and 100 bulb sets. The set includes the controller with internal power supply and one or two sets of bulbs.

Ball park prices... 100 bulb set will be about $199 (or about $99 per sting of 50)... 50 bulb set will be about $149... We plan to have them on pre sale in the February/March sale. I do not know what the sale prices will be.

Dan

You could have just pointed out I swapped the numbers ...

Should have said:

I recall it being 2 (two) sets of 25' (50 count) strands connected to a controller. Not 1(one) 50' (100 count) strand.

I know it wont take the place of a CCB, but with the addition of Enttec support, its much easier to use a variety of similar / 3rd party elements.

The CCB and CCR are merely a pixel addressable RGB LED.
The LOR version does have several added benefits (adjustable resolution, power supply, and direct interface to LOR software)
But that aside, there are TONS of RGD pixel devices out there.

WS2801 and LPD6803 type pixels connect with 3 wires to a protocol converter box (this will allow the devices to receive DMX signals) and then this connects to an iDMX or ENTTEC dmx adapter.

True its not as easy as connecting a CCR, but if you are able and willing, its the same end result, and is available now.

I have bought a lot of stuff from overseas via aliexpress, and also from addafruit (cost is a bit higher, but they are US based)

After you have 1 string, you can add several more end to end. They program just like a CCR would.

They also come in a variety of shapes and sizes - the small ones look pretty much like regular mini lights, and the larger ones can be up to a softball in diameter.

ledpixel.jpg- Here are some I have tested.

One thing to keep in mind when using other RGB solutions is how they work with the Visualizer. I have a lot of RGB pixels controlled via DMX and have run into constraints that exist for non LOR RGB solutions. I have managed to work through/around many of them although it is not ideal. Definitely not discouraging you from trying other options.. just a heads up that it will not work like a CCR/CCB in the visualizer.

The CCR with 150 channels looks like 1 fixture to the Visualizer where-as a 150 channel RGB string (50 pixels) looks like 50 fixtures to the Visualizer. Lot's of RGB pixels and you bump into maximums very quickly.

The issues i have bumped into are:
1024 fixture limit - http://forums.lightorama.com/forum77/28865.html
64 fixture per prop limit - http://forums.lightorama.com/forum77/28766.html

note that these limits will carry over to superstar as well. Although currently Superstar only supports 32 fixtures per prop, but Brian says he will be updating that to match the Visualizers max of 64. I ran into this when trying to creat a 16x16 pixel matrix and had to break it into 8 2x16 props. http://forums.lightorama.com/forum96/28831.html

One disclaimer: I have never used a CCR/CCB so i cannot speak to how they compare in the sequencer. I imagine it would be identical for sequencing however (just no extra channels for built in effects)

If anyone finds other work arounds to these.. please share.

thanks,
Dave

• The topic was locked