Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter question

kissfan4

Max-Paul wrote:

Nurples,

There is a thing called front end overload. A receiver is built to take a very small signal and amplify it. What happens when you amplify a signal to much? Well it goes from looking like an "S" laying on its side to a "S" but in a digital form (squared off at 90 degrees lines). That is called clipping and sounds like crap. So back off from the transmitter like go outside and see how it sounds. Also you might need to turn down the volume of your computers output. Might be over driving the transmitters audio circuits and clipping there too.

I understand clipping, but I don't think that's the issue here. The volume going to the transmitter comes from my laptop and was turned down very low. With the transmitter set to .5w, the receiver (stereo) in my house picked up the signal very well with no static. When I changed the setting on the FM transmitter to .1w the receiver reception had a ton of static. This was even true if I just had the transmitter transmitting without any input audio. As mentioned before, the receiver was only about 10~15 feet from the transmitter. Maybe this is where you're saying the clipping is coming from? If so, it should sound better on low power than high power which is not the case.

This leads me to the antenna. I'm using the basic pull out antenna that comes with it. I know if I make an antenna outside it would most likely be much better, but I don't want all that... I just want to reach the road.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with the transmitter. I got it while I was home on leave from Afghanistan and only had a day to play. I'll work with it some more when I get home in October. If it reaches the road, I'd say it was a great $50 spent. :) If not, well... You get what you pay for! :P

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max-Paul

• khawes

• aurickle

• james campbell

Nurples wrote:

james campbell wrote:
aurickle wrote:
*sigh* No idea why those links aren't working. Sorry about that. Try this: http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW

Alternatively, it's the Fail-Safe transmitter w/new Hi Lo.

the picture on that link is the same transmitter I have but it is much cheaper on ebay

I have the Ebay transmitter also... Much cheaper... The quality seems to be much cheaper also! I haven't tested it outside yet, but sitting in the corner of my living room, with the transmitter on max (0.5W) was the only way to clearly hear it on the reciever. With the transmitter on the .1W setting, the signal was very fuzzy. The transmitter and receiver were only about 15 feet apart.
the sound reception depends on the reciever as well,a cheap radio will sound like crap with a major station pumping 50000 watts,I know the edm is better but I am happy with the cheapy one for this season:)

Guest Don Gillespie

KStatefan wrote:

Do you need anything else to set up an EDM transmitter?

I didn't, once I did the soldering I plugged everything in, fired up a sequence went out side and jumped in my wifes Jeep and took a drive, I wanted to see how good this bad boy really was, was not disapointed the range blew my mind and the sound was unbelievable, can't for the life of me understand why I used a WHT when this was available oh well live and learn. :D

Don Gillespie wrote:

KStatefan wrote:

I didn't, once I did the soldering I plugged everything in, fired up a sequence went out side and jumped in my wifes Jeep and took a drive, I wanted to see how good this bad boy really was, was not disapointed the range blew my mind and the sound was unbelievable, can't for the life of me understand why I used a WHT when this was available oh well live and learn. :D

Thanks.

I did a search and one of the sites talked about adding a Yamaha MG 10-2 and a Behringer DSP 1424P. amaha MG-10/2

Guest Don Gillespie

KStatefan wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote: Thanks.

I did a search and one of the sites talked about adding a Yamaha MG 10-2 and a Behringer DSP 1424P. amaha MG-10/2

Nope don't need any of those, like I said solder it and plug it in, its awsome

Don Gillespie wrote:

KStatefan wrote:

I didn't, once I did the soldering I plugged everything in, fired up a sequence went out side and jumped in my wifes Jeep and took a drive, I wanted to see how good this bad boy really was, was not disapointed the range blew my mind and the sound was unbelievable, can't for the life of me understand why I used a WHT when this was available oh well live and learn. :P

+1 for me! I also used a WHT---even bought a second one that was supposed to be better. Wish I would have saved my money.

I ordered my EDM-LCD-RDS-EP FM transmitter last Thursday. It's getting here from South Africa. There are no tracking numbers so I'm curious if anyone who's purchased one has any idea how much time these take to ship?

Guest Don Gillespie

Mark Showalter wrote:

I ordered my EDM-LCD-RDS-EP FM transmitter last Thursday. It's getting here from South Africa. There are no tracking numbers so I'm curious if anyone who's purchased one has any idea how much time these take to ship?

Mark mine took about a month to get however I am in Canada so I am not sure if that delayed the shipment, you are going to love the EDM

Funny, so did I. I emailed because I got no acknowledgement other then the paypal receipt. and was told they had my order and it arrive about business 10 days after the order was placed.

We have received your order and is busy processing it.
You can expect your shipment in about 10 business days from date of order.

Even though your order goes to S.A. I think they have a place in California that they ship from now, so it should not take as long. I ordered one earlier this year for a friend and that is where it was shipped from.

Earle

P.S. They don't give tracking numbers.

They did not give me a tracking number, either. But when I emailed them, they gave me an approximate date that it would arrive. It came one day early, and only took about 10 days.

So I ordered the EDM, to replace this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-adjusted-output-LCD-stereo-FM-transmitter-/250841914671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6757dd2f#ht_3117wt_1396

Which is less than a year old and as of three weeks ago decided only to tune from 87.0 to 91.3, and of course the empty stations in my are further up the dial ;). Emails to the seller have thus far gone unanswered (DUH)

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment inside that will allow it to tune to the full range again (it would be nice to have it a s a backup)

oh and finally: I wish I had just spent the money on the EDM the first time (provided it lives up to it's billing :) )

khawes wrote:

So I ordered the EDM, to replace this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-adjusted-output-LCD-stereo-FM-transmitter-/250841914671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6757dd2f#ht_3117wt_1396

Which is less than a year old and as of three weeks ago decided only to tune from 87.0 to 91.3, and of course the empty stations in my are further up the dial :(. Emails to the seller have thus far gone unanswered (DUH)

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment inside that will allow it to tune to the full range again (it would be nice to have it a s a backup)

oh and finally: I wish I had just spent the money on the EDM the first time (provided it lives up to it's billing :) )

Answered my own question. No adjustments inside. However if I hold the power button while plugin it in (to get the hi/low setting.) after setting the transmit power to low I can select any frequency. Back in "normal mode" the the frequency can no longer be adjusted unless I go through the process again, so It looks like I have a backup.

WH2....
Found the little switch under the sticker in the battery compartment that everyone was talking about.

WOW! What a difference that makes. I'll buy an EDM next year, if my budget allows. But this is definitely all I need.

• 2 months later...

I know more about the FCC rules than I care to admit, but basically everyone here is right in some fashion. If your broadcasting in FM your limited to 200 feet maximum. AM there is no distance limit but your limited to .1 watts. The FCC is not likely to bust your FM setup if your broadcasting 500 feet or a couple of tenths of a mile as long as your not interfering with a licensed station. But the distance limits on FM is why I choose to broadcast in AM. Ok, Ok stop laughing, yes I seriously broadcast my LOR music on AM, no I'm not planning to up date to FM and yes I prefer broadcasting AM, let me see if I can explain why.

Perhaps I am the only one doing it in AM, and I know that the sound quality is not as good, but my display is part of a non-profit organization so I want to be 100% on the up and up, plus you can get a used AM transmitter for about $30.00 off E-bay. Add to that a FCC part 15 certified antenna, and I can broadcast my signal over a mile without concern of FCC getting testy.

If your looking for a broadcaster and you need to save money, or if your looking to broadcast a longer distance you might consider AM. And just for the record I am using a talking house transmitter, $30.00 on E-bay.

Before I added the talking house ATU antenna I could get outside into the immediate parking area, but I wanted to cover the whole block so if you weren't right in front of the building you could still hear it, and like I said with the antenna I get a good mile easy, and it is all FCC part 15, certified. So on the off chance the FCC ever pays me a visit all I have to do is show them the certifications.

I would consider the sound quality to be very good. It is in AM MONO, signal so obviously not in stereo. For some of the older 50s music your not loosing anything, for the newer stuff obviously you are. But if your prime goal is a good crisp clear signal that covers a mile or more, and you have a budget I'd recommend a AM setup like mine.

FP

Frog Prince wrote:

I know more about the FCC rules than I care to admit, but basically everyone here is right in some fashion. If your broadcasting in FM your limited to 200 feet maximum.

Before I added the talking house ATU antenna I could get outside into the immediate parking area, but I wanted to cover the whole block so if you weren't right in front of the building you could still hear it, and like I said with the antenna I get a good mile easy, and it is all FCC part 15, certified. So on the off chance the FCC ever pays me a visit all I have to do is show them the certifications.

FP

Your first statement is not entirely correct. While the FCC mentions 200 feet as a guideline, the limit is actually a field strength limit.

Part 15 certification doesn't mean squat if you are violating the FS limits.

Also, for AM operation, I believe you have a set limit for length of antenna and feedline when not a campus coverage install.

And why anyone needs to broadcast a mile for their display is beyond me...