Light-O-Rama Forums

Large snowflakes

captainron19

I wanna do a cascade of some large snowflakes coming done my peaked roof on my house this season. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get some of these (or possibly even build them) ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• evan.a

• captainron19

• TJ Hvasta

Last year Target sold 42" LED snowflakes on plastic frame, and also 17" LED ropelight snowflakes on a metal frame. Both made by Phillips. They may have them again this year.

Then I also found 18" snowflakes at Hobby Lobby (which already has Christmas stuff out) and I added 60 blue LEDs to 4 of these.

5613063308_06680e6329.jpg

42" Snowflake
http://listentoourlights.com/home/how-to/phillips-42-snowflake

I too have bought my snowflakes from Target the last two years...

but they have only stocked like about 5 (or less) of them in each store!!!

And they sellout FAST!!!

here's what i've built.

12x12 steel plate. with 3/16 steel pieces as walls. than 1 1/2 female coupler. all shaped in an octagon shape. there is 4 hole drilled in it. top 2 are for hoisting and the bottom 2 are for the legs.

the pvc arms has a 1 1/2 male connector. each pvc arms stands about 15' tall with 1,000 m5 white. with 5 channels for the motions. the arms are built, but not with the lights yet.

Attached files 261010=14475-IMG_0490.JPG

evan.a wrote:

the pvc arms has a 1 1/2 male connector. each pvc arms stands about 15' tall with 1,000 m5 white.

I take it that the 15' x 1-1/2" PVC is rigid enough to hold all those lights and not bend??

evan.a wrote:

will find out after they are mounted and with the lights. here's one of the arm.

how long are those secondary arms?

How many of these are you going to have?

Can't wait to see them in action!!!!

Mark Showalter wrote:

Before I found my snowflakes at Winterland I thought of making my own out of PVC...

nice...

what size PVC were you going to use?

jimswinder wrote:

evan.a wrote:
will find out after they are mounted and with the lights. here's one of the arm.

how long are those secondary arms?

How many of these are you going to have?

Can't wait to see them in action!!!!

there will only be one this year. but it is easy to make.

from the male connector to the first split is a 12' piece of pipe. going to have 5 arms. if the weight is too much, am going to cut it in the middle. cut a section off and put a y spliter in its place. than use the piece i cut off to add to the y piece.

if you look at the sequences I sent you. it's the big thing on the upper right hand corner is this thing.

evan.a wrote:

if you look at the sequences I sent you. it's the big thing on the upper right hand corner is this thing.

will check it out when I go to lunch in 10 minutes!! :D

jimswinder wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
Before I found my snowflakes at Winterland I thought of making my own out of PVC...

nice...

what size PVC were you going to use?

I think you could use any size depending on how big (and heavy) you wanted to make the snowflake and how large of a light you were going to use. I had planned on using rope light so I was going to go with 1/2 inch pvc and zip ties. I needed 7 of them and when I did the math for the cost of elbows and tees it didn't make sense to make my own.

I have a feeling that long of an arm with that many lights on them might bend a little on you. Have you thought of any ways to keep that from happening?

evan.a wrote:

here's what i've built.

12x12 steel plate. with 3/16 steel pieces as walls. than 1 1/2 female coupler. all shaped in an octagon shape. there is 4 hole drilled in it. top 2 are for hoisting and the bottom 2 are for the legs.

the pvc arms has a 1 1/2 male connector. each pvc arms stands about 15' tall with 1,000 m5 white. with 5 channels for the motions. the arms are built, but not with the lights yet.

octagon = 8 sides

pentagon = 5 sides

MikeH

Dan C wrote:

I have a feeling that long of an arm with that many lights on them might bend a little on you. Have you thought of any ways to keep that from happening?

yes, I did. filling the tubes with spray foam.

MikeH wrote:
evan.a wrote:
here's what i've built.

octagon = 8 sides

pentagon = 5 sides

MikeH

wife blurted the shape. she said octagon. your right Mike, pentagon.

evan.a wrote:

Dan C wrote:

My Mini Trees are set on 1-1/2 Conduit that I have going into sleeves cemented in the ground...and hooked to the top are my "streamers" which exert a lot of pull on them...I thought if I filled them with concrete they would not bend...

they still bent!! LOL

Had to "pull them back" using 3/16" wire rope anchored the opposite way of the "streamer" pull!!

evan.a wrote:

Dan C wrote:

MikeH wrote:
evan.a wrote:
here's what i've built.

octagon = 8 sides

pentagon = 5 sides

MikeH

wife blurted the shape. she said octagon. your right Mike, pentagon.

I haven't listened to my wife in years....in one ear and out the other. Just nod from time to time. LOL

MikeH