Light-O-Rama Forums

transfer sequences etc from 1 computer to another

digidutch

There's lots of ways to do it, some are easier and some are more complex...

* Use a thumb drive to transfer files from one laptop and then copy them from the thumb drive to the new laptop

* Use an external USB hard drive to copy the drives from the old laptop to the new

* Use an on-line file sharing / backup service to store copies of the LOR files and then copy / restore them to the new laptop

* Use the network in your house (if you have one) to copy the files from the old laptop to the new one

Which method sounds doable?

Guest Don Gillespie

Randy wrote:

There's lots of ways to do it, some are easier and some are more complex...

* Use a thumb drive to transfer files from one laptop and then copy them from the thumb drive to the new laptop

* Use an external USB hard drive to copy the drives from the old laptop to the new

* Use an on-line file sharing / backup service to store copies of the LOR files and then copy / restore them to the new laptop

* Use the network in your house (if you have one) to copy the files from the old laptop to the new one

Which method sounds doable?

I use the kingston data traveler it can hold about 2GB same thing as an external usb insert it into your usb port right click on my computer, it will show you the USB external hardrive you have plugged in, click on that, once that comes up click on my documents, then click on LOR or lightoramma when that comes up drag your sequnces to the external drive once that is done close your documents, close your external hard drive , and then make sure you click on safley remove hardware once it says you are ok to remove it repeat the steps in reverse for your new computer, and then make sure you down load the LOR program , and then call LOR for your license good luck

digidutch wrote:

My laptop is dying and I want to know if/how I can transfer all LOR files to another laptop so I do not have to start over.

I have 3 rules about computer data.

#1 Backup

#2 Backup

#3 Backup!

I have mine backed up to, DVD (the whole LOR folder) plus the show PC and on line at Dropbox (its free!)

If my computer dies I don't loose hundred (if not more) hours of work.

PaulXmas wrote:

digidutch wrote:
My laptop is dying and I want to know if/how I can transfer all LOR files to another laptop so I do not have to start over.

I have 3 rules about computer data.

#1 Backup

#2 Backup

#3 Backup!

I have mine backed up to, DVD (the whole LOR folder) plus the show PC and on line at Dropbox (its free!)

If my computer dies I don't loose hundred (if not more) hours of work.

YES! Backup till your blue in the face! I have my LOR Folder backed up on my external hard drive and online at MiMedia http://www.mimedia.com/. You get 7 gigs free and it automatically backs up daily.

As for transferring, like everyone else said, use an external hard drive or thumb drive. If the folders are different on the new computer, you will have to edit all the sequences to find the media files.

Step #4 Test your backups (files and process occassionally). I have lost data 3 times (2 by hard drive failure and one by lightning.

Backup / Backup / Backup (don't forget your audio files !

i transfer my media files that i use along with my sequences. that way no editing involved. and if no one suggested it.........BACK IT UP!!!!! :P

I posted this elsewhere, but it seem useful here too.

I've got a separate computer setup as the show computer with nothing "extra" running on it.

I use dropbox to synchronize between the two.

I have a lor.bat in my startup folder that looks like this:
@subst s: c:drop_boxLight-O-Rama
on my sequencing and my show computer.
LOR is setup to use S: for all my files.
Dropbox is configured to sync across the lan, and handles backing up for me too.

Full disclosure: if you use http://db.tt/mli9Ukq to signup for dropbox we both get an extra 250 MB of space.