Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Comm Port Issue New Computer

thevikester

Got a new ASUS, Windows 7 op system. Trying to get my controllers and comm port set, but I keep getting the error *8002 Invalid Port Number...I am using the USB485 adaptor, and I went through the device manager and I see when I attach the usb to the computer, under "Other Device" it shows FT 232R USB UART with a yellow exclamation point. When I click into it, it state "The Driver for this device is not installed" Code 28 There is no device selected for the device information set or element. Asks to update driver but when I click that, there is no driver to update...

So clue me in, do I need to download a driver, and if so, from where?? THanks for your help...I have 10 new controllers this year, and wanted to get a jump on setting the stuff up, especially with a new computer, man am I glad I started this process early thisyear.

So I took care of that problem, and now its something else...same error as far as locating the port, its not finding it, just like listed above, when I go into device manager now I get the "Other Devices" again and this time it says USB Serial Port which has the yellow exclamation point...anyone??

Guest Don Gillespie

Have you gone to hardware utility and selected auto configure on the comm port mine also shows error on comm port but I do not have anything hooked up so it will show me this error. you can be rest assured there will be others who will view this post and help you out.

Situation resolved...uninstall, reinstall, go to the driver website, reinstall driver...all is good in my lighting world...for now!

i had the same problem last year and i found the problem in the cable(wire was loose). so 1) check your wire 2) try ALL of your usb ports. hope this was at least somewhat helpful:P

Sincerely john

Guest Don Gillespie

thevikester wrote:

Situation resolved...uninstall, reinstall, go to the driver website, reinstall driver...all is good in my lighting world...for now!

glad its fixed

I am having the same problem, plugged in my controller via the USB485 adapter, and the Hardware Utility can't find it. I've done the steps recommended to resolve it (uninstall, reinstall, etc....) and it still doesn't work.

Anyone have any other recommendations? I've tried it with 3 different cables, and different USB ports on my computer, and nothing. Running on the Windows 7 OS.

Thanks for the help.
Paul

Paul...is this a new computer...It may not have the driver, try this If you do not have the USB Drivers CD from Light O
Rama, go to www.ftdichip.com -> Drivers -> VCP ->
(select the driver version for your Windows operating
system.) Download and save the “setup executable”
from the rightmost column.

Let me know if this works..

This computer is about 4 years old. I downloaded the drivers off the site you mentioned, installed them, and I see the USB adapter in "Device Manager" and it says "Drivers Last Updated 3/11/2011", which is the same date from the website.

I also tried this on my laptop, which is about 2 years old. Same issue. I know the controller is on because the red LED light is blinking just like the manual says it should. I don't know what else to try.

Paul

Just one- next to "PCI Simple Communications Controller". Even though I am a tech genius, I have no idea what that is....

Here is what I found in doing some reseach on that PCI SCC..so I don't think that is your problem, but here is some info.

Went into Device Manger and obtained the Manufacturer and Device codes for this thing.

The manufacturer code is 8086 which is Intel

The device code is 3B64 which is a Management Interface Device

Now I went back to Intel website and searched for a driver and found one.

What this thing does is monitor the thermals, something that I do not see with Windows 7, so no wonder Windows did not recognize this device. Also since Windows could not identify the device, the Intel driver utility could not help, it had to be done manually.

OK, so what I did was I went in and uninstalled the driver, then went to the driver website and reinstalled it. I then networked both of my controllers together and plugged the first controller into the USB adapter.

I then went into Device Manager and the adapter is showing up on port "COM4". So I went into the LOR Hardware Utility, and then set it to "COM4" under manual select, and hit "Refresh". While searching, the first controller's LED light was flashing very fast, while the second one was flashing slower.

Is there a step I am missing? Because it would seem that it should work. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reboot of my computer, which I am going to do right now.

Thanks,
Paul

Only do one controller at a time, set the controller number, then daisy chain...if you hook them both together, I believe thats the issue now that you have a COM port..

Only plugged one controller in, ran the Hardware Utility, and it still didn't find it. Came up and said "0 Units Found."

I'm starting to wonder if there's a bad connection on the board, I've tried three different Cat5 cables, all with no success.

Got any other ideas thevikester?

Or a bad adapter? Other than that Paul...you have pretty much exhausted the avenues...ANYONE else have ideas??:?

Sounds like you have at least 2 controllers...and all of them with the same symptom? Brand new controllers and adapter?

Assuming it is happening with any controller, would point to the 485, either bad, or driver issues, since you tried it on another computer with same problem. I'd lean towards driver issues...do you have a computer in your house where you have been able to run LOR successfully?

The doc listed here (converter adapter troubleshooting) may help you:

http://www.lightorama.com/PDFs.html

It does not address Windows 7 specifically, but gives some troubleshooting and verification steps to follow.

Also make sure your controller IDs are set, and and the hardware utility setting for number of controllers is set high enough to search for whatever ID you assigned your controller.

I'm not yet convinced you have a hardware issue...I'd still lean towards driver and/or configuration problem.

Yes, brand new controllers and adapter. Purchased everything in March, and just recently had the time to assemble them. Have tried it with both controllers and two different Windows 7 machines, and have had no luck.

In terms of running LOR successfully, I have been able to run the Sequence Editor on both computers with no problems. It is the Hardware Utility I am having an issue with.

I will read through the Troubleshooting Guide, but what I am trying to do is set the controller IDs on each controller (because I haven't done that yet), but since the Hardware Utility won't find them, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Would it be possible for someone to do a Remote Desktop session with me to see if they could resolve my problems? I know its Labor Day Weekend, so this can wait until Tuesday if need be. In the meantime, I'll keep trying it.

Paul

Sorry, was thinking D Series controllers with on-board ID setting, not PC series.

When you say assembled, board is already assembled, you just added cords? Point being, you were sent an assembled and tested board?

Sorry, I can't help you with Win 7, I'm hanging onto XP a little while longer, but if you're showing the driver installed properly, and are confident of that,

Just to confirm the obvious..when you have the HU open, nothing else is open, right? No sequence editor, etc? Make sure the hardware utility is the only thing open.

As Vikester mentioned, only one controller connected, cat 5 from adapter to controller. Make sure 485 adapter is plugged directly into a usb on-board, not a hub, etc..just to be safe from a power standpoint.

Could you send a screenshot of your device manager page? That may help confirm that you don't have any driver issues, and confirm port number.