Light-O-Rama Forums

How much CCR

dkoehler42

Pardon the newbness, but I'm looking at this as an option for the Summer Sale. If I wanted to make a wall of color about 2-3' wide, how much of this would I have to pick up and lay horizontally? It doesn't appear to be that thick.

Unless I'm missing something or misunderstood. You gave the width in your post, what is the height?

dkoehler42 wrote:

My apologies, I meant 2-3' high. I sent that while working and researching the hurricane.

Sorry, I still don't think we are on the same page. If you meant 2-3' high, then what did you mean for width?

So here's some calculations. If you had a 6 foot high x 3 foot wide wall and wanted to put light strings on it and have 4 inch spacing between each light string (spacing is between strings, NOT bulbs) you would need 756 inches or 63 feet of light strings. If you had a 3 foot high x 3 foot wide wall, with 4 inch spacing between light strings, you would need 396 inches or 33 feet of light strings.

If you give me the exact dimensions and spacing I'll give you some further calculations. I've also included a quick drawing to ensure we are on the same page.

Attached files 260492=14431-Wall of Multi Color Lights

What if I wanted to create a 10' long by 3' high wall of solid color? A few years back while working in Nassau, I saw a beautiful effect from some overgrown bushes that were a seafoam green and gold color. I've been looking for a solution and CCR/CCB seems to be an answer, albeit expensive.

dkoehler42 wrote:

What if I wanted to create a 10' long by 3' high wall of solid color? A few years back while working in Nassau, I saw a beautiful effect from some overgrown bushes that were a seafoam green and gold color. I've been looking for a solution and CCR/CCB seems to be an answer, albeit expensive.

With 4 inch spacing between the light strings, this would require 1,236 inches or 103 feet of light strings.

And what does that mean in terms of ordering and how could I mount this? I'm a complete CCR newb, and I thank you for helping me out w/ these numbers.

Not a CCR user myself, but I was wondering if you are referring to a wall of lights (mounting lights in rows on a wall, either side by side, or with some space in between), or do you mean a wall wash (using a CCR to throw light up on a wall from below/above)--easily could be read either way. I interpreted your question differently than HiTech did, so I just want to make sure you are getting the exact info you are actually seeking.

Kinda Surfing. I have a row of bushes and a railing out front, I was thinking about running it on those, preferably with limited space between lines.

dkoehler42 wrote:

Kinda Surfing. I have a row of bushes and a railing out front, I was thinking about running it on those, preferably with limited space between lines.

how would the new ccf's work for you?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Not a CCR user myself, but I was wondering if you are referring to a wall of lights (mounting lights in rows on a wall, either side by side, or with some space in between), or do you mean a wall wash (using a CCR to throw light up on a wall from below/above)--easily could be read either way. I interpreted your question differently than HiTech did, so I just want to make sure you are getting the exact info you are actually seeking.

I am assuming a wall of lights / color walls. I'm not really sure how you would take CCRs to throw light up on a wall that is 10 feet high, CCFs would probably be more suitable if that's what he's trying to do.

My diagram that I showed light strings going vertically up and down the wall is what I'm talking about. You could reverse it and run the light strings horizontally from left to right on the wall. Either way the calcuations are exactly the same.

dkoehler42 wrote:

And what does that mean in terms of ordering and how could I mount this? I'm a complete CCR newb, and I thank you for helping me out w/ these numbers.

According to the latest LOR Datasheet for CB100D (the official name of Cosmic Color Bulbs / CCBs) that has been made publicly available, the CCBs come with 50 RGB C7 bulbs that have 6 inch spacing between each bulb. Which means the bulb string length is 300 inches (or 25 feet) in length, then there's another 2 foot leader to the CCB controller. From what I understand, the CCBs will be sold as 50 bulbs and 100 bulbs (meaning two 50 bulb sets in the package). NOTE/DISCLAIMER: This is based on the latest info that has been publicly available, the specifications and lengths may change, please check for the final datasheet that is made available once these products are publicly listed for-sale on LOR's website!

So now back to your ordering. In the calculations that I gave you last, you need 1,236 inches or 103 feet of lights strings. Based on this you would need to purchase at least five 50 RGB bulb sets of CCBs; the actual calculation is 4.12 (1236inches [total coverage needed] / 300inches [length of one 50 RGB bulb set of CCBs) = 4.12 sets). If I were you I would try to do just 1200 inches of coverage that way you can get by with just purchasing four 50 RGB bulb sets of CCBs; you are only loosing 36 inches or 3 feet in coverage. Otherwise with five CCBs sets you are going to have more than 22 feet of additional lights not being used.

As far as mounting, I am told that LOR ***maybe*** including clips for the CCBs. When LOR puts them for-sale publicly, we'll know for sure. There's been some other threads about clips and mounting of CCBs that go more in depth in this topic.

Does this make sense and answer all of your questions?

I would tend to think if he was looking for a 'wall of lights' then the CCR may be a better option as it has a far higher LED count than the CCB and the LEDs on the CCR are brighter due to being a directional light
I reakon using the CCB would be less bang for your buck.

HiTechLights wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I'm not really sure how you would take CCRs to throw light up on a wall that is 10 feet high, CCFs would probably be more suitable if that's what he's trying to do.

I agree, however never has he mentioned that he is wanting a 10 feet high wall covered in color. He wants a 2-3 foot tall wall that is 10 feet long. I suspect this is a landscape wall or something similar. I pictured what he was asking (maybe inaccurately due to his wording, even upon trying to clarify) that he was wondering if he put a couple CCRs in front of (or at the base of) the wall that they might wash the wall in color ("highlight" the wall like landscape lighting, possibly behind bushes even). I am not sure that that is the ideal way to do it if so, but a 2-3' wall doesn't sound like the typical type of wall that one would be putting a CCR matrix (as you are describing) as well. Clarification of this point is still in need at least in my opinion. I don't want a newbie buying 5 CCRs and finding out afterward that we misunderstood what he was trying to accomplish. I wonder if he could send a photo of the wall he is trying to light. If wanting a matrix, then CCRs is probably the way to go (seems they would be better than the CCBs)

IF wanting to wash the wall in color, I worry that the new (yet to come) CCF (flood) will be too powerful. That is for a 10' tall wall. There probably are some options amongst the Rainbow products here: http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/

Totally agree. The calculations are the same no matter how you look at it no matter if you are using CCBs or CCRs with 4 inch spacing between strings. Let's see what he comes back with, it would be nice if he could provide a picture for everyone to see. I provided a simple diagram at first to make sure I understood what he is trying to do as well.

dkoehler42 wrote:

Pardon the newbness, but I'm looking at this as an option for the Summer Sale. If I wanted to make a wall of color about 2-3' high, how much of this would I have to pick up and lay horizontally? It doesn't appear to be that thick.

It looks like each CCR is about 1 inch thick, so if you wanted to make a wall of CCRs, 36 CCR would make a 3 foot tall wall. If you wanted to space (space between each ribbon strip) them apart a bit more, you could make your 3 foot wall with only 24 CCRs "strips". But then the images you create would also look "spaced out". The upcoming S3 software release makes image creation easy with "stacked" CCRs.

• The topic was locked