Light-O-Rama Forums

Color Ribbon Extension

gizzy111

I am going to place the CCR's on six circles that are
22 ft. in circumference. To get this length, i have to solder a 6 ft. ribbon onto a standard 16 ft ribbon. Will the superstar software work properly with an extended ribbon that is 22 ft?

I'm sure some other people will chime in, but from what I understand the ccr controller can only address a full 16 ft ribbon. You cannot add onto the ribbon to make it longer. you will need another controller for the extra 6'.

So that being said, when you setup the superstar software, you will have to define two controllers. One full and the other with enough for 6'.

Too bad its such an odd length. Can only get two lengths of 6 feet from a cut ribbon.

You can do it with restrictions. The controller can support up to 50 pixels. But the Hardware utility lets you say how big a pixel is. So when you want to attach CCRs end to end, tell HWU 2 units to make adjacent pixels act together. So your 22 feet would have 33 pixels. Not 66 as you might think. (the new size will be about 8 inches)

There are also power restrictions. CCR manual says the ribbon can not support power needs beyond 50 pixels. So you need to add a second power supply. So you will be soldering the two center communications wires together and will have power to the two outside wires.

Jeff Millard has made several good posts on this.

Thanks Jeff for the clarification. When I cut up my four CCRs I continued with each on its own controller. While I did make the data and clock continuous, for the power I just gave each segment its own power connections directly to the supply. Would the negatives need to be joined if both sections were from a single larger power supply?