Light-O-Rama Forums

Syncing LOR II with other software packages

Randy R

I would like to use my LOR II system to provide additional lighting effects for some holiday laser shows that are controlled by Pangolin laser show software.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to trigger LOR sequences using DMX or MIDI triggers generated by the Pangolin software.

Is there a way to trigger LOR sequences from an external program
via software only, or am going to have to use something like the DIO32 motherboard, using DMX or MIDI-triggered relays as the switch inputs to the DIO32?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Randy

Randy, couldn't you work it the other way around?? - Have LOR send a DMX signal to trigger your laser that's running the Pangolin software?

I thought most laser software (I assume you are running some kind of laser IDMA animations) accepts a DMX trigger...

Greg

That COULD work, but for my situation, the LOR needs to be the slave. My laser show is the "centerpiece" of my event, using multiple high-power laser projectors tightly synchronized with the music in several different shows. Also, when it comes to using high-power lasers, I feel much more comfortable interfacing directly with the laser control software, versus depending on timing & control from another source through external interfaces.

My LOR would basically just be used to add highlights during some parts of the shows, probably in the form of loop-based interactive sequences. I know I can make an interactive play list in LOR, and trigger with an external input (through a DMX or MIDI relay)controlled by the laser software, but it would be nice if the LOR suite was MIDI-enabled, or if 3rd-party MIDI software interface solutions were available to trigger the interactive sequences!

The nice thing about MIDI-enabled apps - you can link directly between software packages, even between computers on a network, without using ANY external hardware at all, since all MIDI messages can travel between software apps. using nothing more than freely available drivers. I would LOVE to see that capability become part of the LOR suite - it would probably get a lot more use, at least at my house!!! :P

Interesting approach Randy! It never crossed my mind to use MIDI triggers...

An another note, what is the duty cycle of your lasers? Given the software you mentioned, I assume you are using one of the Chinese models I have been looking at.

My contact over there, "Sophie", has given me conflicting details on the duty cycles, which has held me up from making a purchase. I have been looking at the units that do the animations.

On one hand she says 4 hours continuous, then 30 minutes off, another time she said 6 hours continuous would be OK, but others have said it's more like 2 hours continuous, then 30 minutes off.

Thanks,

Greg

Actually, my projectors are custom-built jobs (one will be a multiwatt unit when finished), and I'm using some professional laser control hardware & software made in the USA by Pangolin. I could by a BUNCH of LOR gear for the $$ invested in my laser hobby so far!

Lasers are not the type of thing you would want to set up and let run unattended like you might an LOR system with LED's. Especially with the high-power ILDA-compliant projectors, it's WAY too risky, both in the term of operating costs AND potential harm to surrounding materials and people (and if it's powerful enough to be seen clearly outside - anything over 5mw - unattended use would probably also be illegal).

Laser projectors use high-speed scanning galvonometers (mirrors on close-looped high speed motors) to produce the computer (or DMX, in the cheaper projectors) controlled images, so non-stop use for many hours would not be recommended.

Although some relatively cheap units are available, you get what you pay for. Generally, laser projectors tend to be looked upon as a "high maintenance" hobby, both in costs and time invested - but it is REALLY cool to be the laserist running the show when the venue is right, the lights go down, and the fog machine cranks up... :P

You can make calls to the schedule utility - I dont have a thread, but I know someone had interfaced with some telephone software so people could call in a request for a song. As I recall, the IRV / Telephone App would call a batch file that then launched the schedule utility to play the sequence. Not sure if that helps.

External triggers - This is really going AROUND the block, but I'm about 90% sure that it would work:

Have your laser app trigger a given DMX channel - connect a small dimmer pack on that channel, and let it drive a relay that would hook to the trigger input on your LOR controller.

Do you have any information about the laser systems? Are there kits you can purchase and put together? If so who are the vendor(s) and what kind of prices, software, ect.

toddmoon wrote:

Do you have any information about the laser systems? Are there kits you can purchase and put together? If so who are the vendor(s) and what kind of prices, software, ect.

Laser projectors tend to be either commercial jobs, or scrounge and "do-it-yourself".

Either way, if you go with quality gear, it can get expensive in a hurry!

Controller packages can run from several hundred to several thousand dollars each, depending on features & capability.

Full-feature, ILDA-compliant RGB laser projectors will probably run at least $1k (+), even for a relatively low-power model. Price increases exponentially in a hurry once the laser powers & scanning speeds start increasing.

Here is probably one of the best-known forum sites geared towards laser show hobbiests & professionals:

http://www.photonlexicon.com

Pangolin sells arguably THE best laser controller hardware and software in the industry:

http://www.pangolin.com