Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring Help. Dayton Fan Motor/ Frwrd Rev drum Speed Control

Sparky Griswold

To All,

Thank you in advance. I have a 120V pully motor, a frwrd/reverse drum and speed control that I need to wire together. This solution is for a flying ghost just like the Axworthy.

http://hauntproject.com/projdetail.asp?category=Axworthy%20Flying%20Ghost

I need to control the speed of the motor and want the ability to have it move forward or in reverse. Is there anyone that can assist in how this should be wired to get the desired results. I have also enclosed the wiring diagrams for motor and have the other diagrams as well. Again I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Bryan
Phx, AZ

Attached files 259667=14380-Dayton Wiring Diagram.jpg

bryanblake wrote:

I need to control the speed of the motor and want the ability to have it move forward or in reverse.

That will not be easy! The speed of this (and almost all) motors cannot be controlled with a triac-controlled pulsed output such as the LOR CTB controller. Instead, a capacitor is placed in series with the power supply to act as a ballast. If you need multiple speeds, multiple capacitors can be put in series and switched out with relays.

To switch from forward to reverse, you will need another DPDT relay that switches the red and black wires as shown in the diagram.

You'll have to experiment with capacitors to find out if the speed of this motor can be controlled, and by how much. I can visualize a system that uses 3 LOR channels that each connects to a relay. One channel would control forward/reverse, the other 2 would switch from off, low, medium, and high speeds. Low speed would have 2 capacitors in series, medium would have 1, and high would be a direct connection. This could be done using 120V DPDT relays.

I know I have used frequency controllers in the past(some type of pwm I assume) to do this with ac motors, but expensive, large, etc.

The standard rpm on this motor is 1725rpm, seems kinda fast. Maybe reduce it down with gears or pulleys , but, again, probably too much for this application.

Steven wrote:

bryanblake wrote:
I need to control the speed of the motor and want the ability to have it move forward or in reverse.

That will not be easy! The speed of this (and almost all) motors cannot be controlled with a triac-controlled pulsed output such as the LOR CTB controller. Instead, a capacitor is placed in series with the power supply to act as a ballast. If you need multiple speeds, multiple capacitors can be put in series and switched out with relays.

To switch from forward to reverse, you will need another DPDT relay that switches the red and black wires as shown in the diagram.

You'll have to experiment with capacitors to find out if the speed of this motor can be controlled, and by how much. I can visualize a system that uses 3 LOR channels that each connects to a relay. One channel would control forward/reverse, the other 2 would switch from off, low, medium, and high speeds. Low speed would have 2 capacitors in series, medium would have 1, and high would be a direct connection. This could be done using 120V DPDT relays.

Thanks Steve.

I have all the parts just not sure how to wire them together. I'm not actually looking to control this with the LOR system. Actually just by hand completely independant of the LOR. The enclosed wiring diagram is of the reversing drum component. All these parts came from Grainger and i've been told they can all work together. I just want to make sure that I wire them correctly. =) Thanks again for you help.

Attached files 259681=14381-Reversing Drum Wiring Diagr

The speed control looks easy - just wire it in series with the power input.

There isn't enough information in those diagrams to tell how to wire the reverse switch. Perhaps some detailed pictures of the switch and motor would help.

Here is the Motor Terminal Configuration. I labled the motor terminals. These will coinside with the reversing drum component.

Attached files 259690=14384-Motor Terminal Config.jpg

Here is the side view of the Reversing Drum. The Wiring diagram is shown above.

Attached files 259691=14385-Reversing Drum Side View.jp

Here is the Top view of the Reversing Drum labled.

Attached files 259695=14387-Reversing Drum Top View.jpg

Run a wire from #2 to #2. And another wire from #5 to #5. This is for the drum switch to the motor. Now take the red wire and connect it to the #3 terminal on the switch. And run the black wire to the #4 of the switch. This will cause the motor to reverse. But be sure to let the motor come to a stop before reversing it via the switch.

Thank you George, That is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you maybe shed some light on how I would incorporate the speed control?

One more question, how do I run the pigtail for power? Thank you again.

bryanblake wrote:

One more question, how do I run the pigtail for power? Thank you again.
  1. Connect the white wire from the power cord (pigtail) to #1 on the motor.
  2. Connect the black wire from the power cord to one of the terminals on the speed control (according to the diagram, there should only be 2 terminals).
  3. Connect the other terminal from the speed control to #4 on the motor.
  4. Connect the green wire from your power cord to a screw that fastens to the metal case of the motor.

Max-Paul wrote:

Run a wire from #2 to #2. And another wire from #5 to #5.

It's not clear from the picture if the reversing drum already has bolts #1 connected to #2 and #5 connected to #6. If these internal connections are not there, then you will also have to run a wire from #1 to #2 and from #5 to #6 on the drum.

So far so good. however I'm still not able to control the speed of the motor.

Between George and yourself the motor drum works great and changes direction perfectly however, as I mentioned, I still can't control the speed of the motor.

Regarding your comment:
It's not clear from the picture if the reversing drum already has bolts #1 connected to #2 and #5 connected to #6. If these internal connections are not there, then you will also have to run a wire from #1 to #2 and from #5 to #6 on the drum.

When you throw the drum forward or backward it makes these connections however when the drum is in the off position then these are not connected. I hope that makes sense. Any further ideas on how to control the speed? Thanks Steve.

bryanblake wrote:

Between George and yourself the motor drum works great and changes direction perfectly however, as I mentioned, I still can't control the speed of the motor.

Did you connect the speed control? What happens when you turn it?

When you throw the drum forward or backward it makes these connections however when the drum is in the off position then these are not connected.

Now that you have pointed that out, I feel like an idiot. :D

No worries. To me, you are one of the brightest in these forums. Thank you again.

Bryan