Light-O-Rama Forums

6 Foot Trees

Mark Showalter

brownjm74 wrote:

Mark,   I did something similar last year and it ended up that 9 of the 10 trees snaped in half. 

Thanks for the report on your trees. I plan on anchor stakes as well as plenty of guy wires. Lori's idea of adding large rebar may be a good addition as well. I'm sure I get more wind than anyone else on these forums.:D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Showalter

• jimswinder

• LORi P

• brownjm74

Mark Showalter wrote:

Thanks for the report on your trees. I plan on anchor stakes as well as plenty of guy wires. Lori's idea of adding large rebar may be a good addition as well. I'm sure I get more wind than anyone else on these forums.:(

I don't know about wind, but there is plenty of hot air around here! There probably is a bit of breaking wind around here, too. But fortunately the internet does not carry that type of information. :)

seankovacs wrote:

Mark, where did you find such a tree? The trees I bought from home depot last year are too wimpy to hold that many lights...they were meant for indoor as well, so the branches started to rust.

I found these trees from a man in Florida who wanted to sell them along with other parts of his display. Because they're metal, the used ones did have some amount of rust on them. Some grinding and painting took care of the rust.

Keep a lookout at places like Walmart and the other box stores. You may be able to find these new very soon.

Good Luck!

seankovacs wrote:

Mark, where did you find such a tree? The trees I bought from home depot last year are too wimpy to hold that many lights...they were meant for indoor as well, so the branches started to rust.

The brand name is "Holiday Time". They were originally white and came with either white or multi-color incandescent lights.

Mark Showalter wrote:

seankovacs wrote:

The brand name is "Holiday Time". They were originally white and came with either white or multi-color incandescent lights.

I bought my "Holiday Time" 6 ft wire trees are from Walmart. $40 full price, but I got 4 after Christmas last year for 50% off. Also, the ones I bought are green with LED multi lights. I think Mark mentioned he took the lights that came on it off, but I left mine on for when My display is 'off' but I want to still keep some lights on.

As for rusting, I wonder if maybe we should spray with Rustoleum spray paint first? I wonder how much that would help? If you have white trees like Mark did and are going to paint them anyway, maybe Rustoleum would help prolong the life of the trees??

• 2 weeks later...

Seen this thread lying dormant and thought I'd revive it. Don FL...How did your Spartys fair in South Bend??
Jimswinder...How did your Huskies fair in Lincoln??

GO BIG RED!!! BIG TEN CHAMPS first season in!!!

I probably shouldn't have made this post right before we head into Madison.:)

Today is a banner day! I finally have all of my seven 6ft trees finished and the Cougs beat Pac 12 newbies Colorado in a fourth quarter comeback.

Check out this photo. Over 5,000 LEDs on seven trees. I'm getting strong hints from my wife to move all this out to the garage.:shock:

Attached files 267136=14797-7 trees ready.jpg

Mark Showalter wrote:

Today is a banner day! I finally have all of my seven 6ft trees finished and the Cougs beat Pac 12 newbies Colorado in a fourth quarter comeback.

Check out this photo. Over 5,000 LEDs on seven trees. I'm getting strong hints from my wife to move all this out to the garage.:shock:

Excellent - I am jealous! They look great!

Tom Clapper wrote:

Seen this thread lying dormant and thought I'd revive it. Don FL...How did your Spartys fair in South Bend??
Jimswinder...How did your Huskies fair in Lincoln??

GO BIG RED!!! BIG TEN CHAMPS first season in!!!

I probably shouldn't have made this post right before we head into Madison.:D

Yea, I watched the thrashing in Madison simultaneous with my Tigers getting spanked in NY..

MSU's defense played a good game statistically against ND(less than 300 yards total offense), yet gave up 30 points..the offense didn't even show up, but even into the 4th quarter, had some chances. ND could very well be 4-0...I'm still pi**ed about them losing to Michigan.

And the award for the ugliest game of the year goes to the OSU/MSU game yesterday..take away OSUs last drive, and MSU holds them to less than 100 yards of offense. It should have been a 30 point win, but again, the offense apparently didn't make the trip.

The next 3 weeks will be fun...UM, Wisconsin, and then to Nebraska...

Mark Showalter wrote:

Damn! I can't do math after watching football. That should have been 5,000 LEDs of each color with 15,000 total on seven trees.:cool:

You must still be watching football. 5,000 does not divide evenly by 7. Based on your numbers you have 714.29 lights per tree of each color. Or it could be you are just rounding - now go back to football.

Gary Blair wrote:

You must still be watching football.  5,000 does not divide evenly by 7.  Based on your numbers you have 714.29 lights per tree of each color.  Or it could be you are just rounding - now go back to football.

Yes, I'm rounding. Some trees have the original intended 2,310 LEDs...( seven 100 count and one 70 count of red, green and white each) some of them with 2,100 (no 70 counts needed to finish) and I think I miss counted on one of them because I have an extra set of 100 count red, green and white's. No wonder I was trying to stretch the lights to finish that one.

I'm still looking forward to lighting them up.

Had a great weekend. Finished my fourth and final arch, second and final tower and seventh and final 6 ft tree. Now to go solder the EDM and sequence, sequence, sequence.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked