Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Showalter

6 Foot Trees

[align=center]I won't predict what MSU's record will be this year but all I have to say is[/align]
[align=center]GO STATE![/align]
[align=center] [/align]

Attached files 260817=14458-MSU Cmas Lights.jpg

Mark Showalter wrote:

double post! Didn't want to rub it int to Jim too hard. Go Cougs!

Woops, double post.

Mark Showalter wrote:

double post! Didn't want to rub it int to Jim too hard. Go Cougs!

I agree, "Go Cougs!"; however, it would be BYU Cougars. They beat Ole Miss!

DonFL wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
Okay, so now I have three of my seven trees finished. AND the Cougs won big over Idaho State and the Huskies barely made it alive over Eastern!!! Sorry Jim...:D

I'm sure Jim also noticed this one..

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312460087

I AM, however, a huge ND fan this week...:cool:

So it will be even worse when ND beats up on MSU!! lol

Yes...the Huskies got lucky...thought they were going to lose it at the end...

Guest guest

ND just needs to focus on one thing this week, and that is going into Ann Arbor and kicking the crap out of the Wolverines. I'm thinking a 30 point shutout would be nice...

My Spartys will then travel to South Bend the following week and let them see what it is like to play the better teams in the Big Ten...

DonFL wrote:

ND just needs to focus on one thing this week, and that is going into Ann Arbor and kicking the crap out of the Wolverines. I'm thinking a 30 point shutout would be nice...

My Spartys will then travel to South Bend the following week and let them see what it is like to play the better teams in the Big Ten...

Attached files 262470=14541-like-button1.jpg

DonFL wrote:

It was headed for the ditch by the 12th post...:P

Just as we thought Captain Obvious... It's Jim's fault.

Go Cougs!

Oh, I still don't have all seven of the trees done. I'll post photos when complete.

Mark, I did something similar last year and it ended up that 9 of the 10 trees snaped in half. I used artificial trees and wrapped 800 of RGW lights on it. I believe that the trees couldn't take the weight in the wind. We had a couple of snow storms with 40mph+ winds. My recommendation is to set one of your already made trees outside for a few weeks (or at least for a thunderstorm with some wind) before you finish building all of them.

I am currently working on a new design that is similar to a 6' tall tomato cage that is collapsible. I have a couple of night photos here: http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/2011-6-foot-trees.html and I will post more photos and details when I build the next one. I currently have 3 of them done.

Attached files 263339=14613-4978117_orig.jpg

brownjm74 wrote:

Mark,   I did something similar last year and it ended up that 9 of the 10 trees snaped in half. 
Ouch! :shock: That would make me cry. I hope I do not have that problem. I will only be putting 1200 lights per tree, so hopefully that will help.... because I live on a hill and it is very windy here, too.

Because of the wind blowing stuff over last year, I had to drive 6 ft threaded rods into the ground, and put them up the hollow center of my fake trees. None of them had nearly the number of lights as I am using this year.

Now, knowing the trouble you had with yours breaking, I will be sure to leave lots of the rod above ground to have the extra support of the rod in the middle of the 'tree trunk'. Maybe 2 feet in the ground and 4 feet in the center of the tree?

brownjm74 wrote:

Mark,   I did something similar last year and it ended up that 9 of the 10 trees snaped in half. 

Thanks for the report on your trees. I plan on anchor stakes as well as plenty of guy wires. Lori's idea of adding large rebar may be a good addition as well. I'm sure I get more wind than anyone else on these forums.:D

Mark Showalter wrote:

Thanks for the report on your trees. I plan on anchor stakes as well as plenty of guy wires. Lori's idea of adding large rebar may be a good addition as well. I'm sure I get more wind than anyone else on these forums.:(

I don't know about wind, but there is plenty of hot air around here! There probably is a bit of breaking wind around here, too. But fortunately the internet does not carry that type of information. :)

Mark, where did you find such a tree? The trees I bought from home depot last year are too wimpy to hold that many lights...they were meant for indoor as well, so the branches started to rust.

seankovacs wrote:

Mark, where did you find such a tree? The trees I bought from home depot last year are too wimpy to hold that many lights...they were meant for indoor as well, so the branches started to rust.

I found these trees from a man in Florida who wanted to sell them along with other parts of his display. Because they're metal, the used ones did have some amount of rust on them. Some grinding and painting took care of the rust.

Keep a lookout at places like Walmart and the other box stores. You may be able to find these new very soon.

Good Luck!

seankovacs wrote:

The brand name is "Holiday Time". They were originally white and came with either white or multi-color incandescent lights.

Mark Showalter wrote:

seankovacs wrote:

The brand name is "Holiday Time". They were originally white and came with either white or multi-color incandescent lights.

I bought my "Holiday Time" 6 ft wire trees are from Walmart. $40 full price, but I got 4 after Christmas last year for 50% off. Also, the ones I bought are green with LED multi lights. I think Mark mentioned he took the lights that came on it off, but I left mine on for when My display is 'off' but I want to still keep some lights on.

As for rusting, I wonder if maybe we should spray with Rustoleum spray paint first? I wonder how much that would help? If you have white trees like Mark did and are going to paint them anyway, maybe Rustoleum would help prolong the life of the trees??

Seen this thread lying dormant and thought I'd revive it. Don FL...How did your Spartys fair in South Bend??
Jimswinder...How did your Huskies fair in Lincoln??

GO BIG RED!!! BIG TEN CHAMPS first season in!!!

I probably shouldn't have made this post right before we head into Madison.:)

Today is a banner day! I finally have all of my seven 6ft trees finished and the Cougs beat Pac 12 newbies Colorado in a fourth quarter comeback.

Check out this photo. Over 5,000 LEDs on seven trees. I'm getting strong hints from my wife to move all this out to the garage.:shock:

Attached files 267136=14797-7 trees ready.jpg

Mark Showalter wrote:

Today is a banner day! I finally have all of my seven 6ft trees finished and the Cougs beat Pac 12 newbies Colorado in a fourth quarter comeback.

Check out this photo. Over 5,000 LEDs on seven trees. I'm getting strong hints from my wife to move all this out to the garage.:shock:

Excellent - I am jealous! They look great!

Guest guest

Tom Clapper wrote:

Seen this thread lying dormant and thought I'd revive it. Don FL...How did your Spartys fair in South Bend??
Jimswinder...How did your Huskies fair in Lincoln??

GO BIG RED!!! BIG TEN CHAMPS first season in!!!

I probably shouldn't have made this post right before we head into Madison.:D

Yea, I watched the thrashing in Madison simultaneous with my Tigers getting spanked in NY..

MSU's defense played a good game statistically against ND(less than 300 yards total offense), yet gave up 30 points..the offense didn't even show up, but even into the 4th quarter, had some chances. ND could very well be 4-0...I'm still pi**ed about them losing to Michigan.

And the award for the ugliest game of the year goes to the OSU/MSU game yesterday..take away OSUs last drive, and MSU holds them to less than 100 yards of offense. It should have been a 30 point win, but again, the offense apparently didn't make the trip.

The next 3 weeks will be fun...UM, Wisconsin, and then to Nebraska...