Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

james campbell

I bought the EDM LCD-CS-EP...included case, power suppy, everything. The EDM-LCD-CS-P, gets you the same unit, without enclosure.

I did not have a need for RDS, so went with the EP, 159 bucks with shipping.

You'll find those two listed in the first section on the "orders" page, under "LED series kit options"...and yes, those two are both LCD displays, not LED.

If you want RDS, you need to go to the next section, the "audiophile" section..the last two offer RDS..and you'll see the price jumps to 210/230 for similar kits.

The audiophile series offers a bit better specs..and adjustable RF output, rather than just two (switched) settings. If you want RDS, and don't want to roll your own mod for it, you don't have a choice but to go with the audiophile series. Otherwise, tough to justify the extra dollars for a non-RDS audiophile unit.

Hope that helps!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• EARLE W. TALLEY

• scubado

• Mark Showalter

Mark Showalter wrote:

Okay, Surf4 and Earle, that does look pretty "monkey" easy. EDM has a lot of different models. Any ideas which would work best for an LOR application?

I'll quote my post from above: :D
I own the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP and love it. No I don't find the extra antenna necessary. Awesome sound quality and range with just the included wire antenna. Any of the LCD models should suffice. Just a matter if you want to add the ability (or will in the future) to broadcast RDS. This past year they added the LCD-CS model and there was a recent thread here that discussed that and all that used it seemed to be pleased. You basically just sacrifice audio quality a tad, but I suspect that a non-audiophile wouldn't be able to tell the difference, especially over a car radio.

There basically 3 models that would work fine for LOR, and they are all "LCD" models.

These are the 3 models (there 2 of each since "P" is without an enclosure, and "EP" is with an enclosure--I would definitely get the enclosure, it is a rigid metal case that fits like a glove. It doesn't really make it bigger, so would be fine to mount the whole thing inside an additional enclosure with other LOR equipment, such as a mp3 Director. The transmitter, with enclosure, is a tad smaller than the size of your hand.)

3 models, with shipped price:
EDM-LCD-CS-P $137
EDM-LCD-CS-EP $159

EDM-TX-LCD-P $185
EDM-TX-LCD-EP $205

EDM-LCD-RDS-P $225
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP $245

The TX and RDS models are the same transmitter, but the RDS model has a chip that allows RDS transmission also. This is so you can transmit text to car radios that are equiped with RDS--I think standard on most cars made in the past 7-8 years. Kinda fun to use this to send text to car radios. You can just have a single message scrolling the whole show ("Welcome to the XYZ Christmas show") or you can program LOR to create a text output for each song, and you can send the text of the name of each song that is playing as it plays the song.

The CS models is new last year, and slightly less quality audio, but reports by users here have been good. I don't think most would be able to tell the difference. Below is a image describing this model (note that the black case is the enclosure for all the models):

EDMLCDCS1.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. I had used a Whole House FM transmitter last year and was not happy with the results. I'll order the EDM with enclosure for this year's show.

Mark, when you get your EDM done please let everyone know how "hard" it was to put together. Also, you really don't need the rubber duck antenna, the last 2 years I used the small wire antenna and hung it from a string in the garage, it covered a 2 block area with no problem, but it was a problem getting around it while hanging down. I have since purchased a rubber duck antenna to solve this problem. I have also tested the rubber duck antenna and still get a 2+ block coverage, hope this helps.

Earle

EARLE W. TALLEY wrote:

Mark, when you get your EDM done please let everyone know how "hard" it was to put together. Also, you really don't need the rubber duck antenna, the last 2 years I used the small wire antenna and hung it from a string in the garage, it covered a 2 block area with no problem, but it was a problem getting around it while hanging down. I have since purchased a rubber duck antenna to solve this problem. I have also tested the rubber duck antenna and still get a 2+ block coverage, hope this helps.

Earle

Agree that the wire antenna is just fine. I mount my FM Transmitter and Mp3 mini-director in a box on the garage wall, and the antenna is coming out of a hole in the box and is hanging vertically up to the ceiling (I duct tape the end of the antenna wire to the ceiling and that is it). So the wire antenna is along the wall (so it "doesn't get in the way"). Get a couple blocks range as well, with crystal clear audio quality. RDS only transmits well about 75-100yds (some cars better than others). I would guess that a better antenna would help RDS range (or at least better mounting of the wire antenna).

Mark Showalter wrote:

Thanks everyone for the input. I had used a Whole House FM transmitter last year and was not happy with the results. I'll order the EDM with enclosure for this year's show.

I also have used a Whole House transmitter for two years now, and I have hated the sound quality on the street right in front of my house. I experimented with different antennas, locations, etc. and nothing helped. This year I will also order the EDM. Thanks for your help everyone!

Anyone have some thoughts on this HLLY transmitter?
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/top-grade-05w-villa-fm-transmitter-antenna-power-p-96.html
This is not one of their cheaper ones. The specs fall between the Ebay ones and the EDM's. At $100, the price falls between the two also. Are Hlly full kits or just solder one or two things like EDM? I did find some old threads that didn't favor Hlly, I'm guessing the comments were concerning the cheap models.

scubado wrote:

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/top-grade-05w-villa-fm-transmitter-antenna-power-p-96.html
This is not one of their cheaper ones. The specs fall between the Ebay ones and the EDM's. At $100, the price falls between the two also. Are Hlly full kits or just solder one or two things like EDM? I did find some old threads that didn't favor Hlly, I'm guessing the comments were concerning the cheap models.

I ordered one last week. I'll let you know how in about a week. I don't really care how easy everyone says soldering is... I don't want to do it.

If I don't like the HLLY, I'll order an EDM-LCD-CS-EP and have an EE at work solder it for me.
And yes, I am a cheapscate. I am trying to pinch pennies to buy CCB's instead of C-9's. :(

LORi P wrote:

And yes, I am a cheapscate. I am trying to pinch pennies to buy CCB's instead of C-9's. :(

I'm sure the CCB's will last longer than the C-9's:P

Guest Don Gillespie

EARLE W. TALLEY wrote:

Mark, the last person we talked into getting an EDM also said he didn't think he could do it. After he got it and put it together his commit was " so easy a monkey can do it ". It is really very easy.

Earle

EDM-LCD-RDS-EP $245

That would me this is what I bought and yes a monkey can put this together I too was scared but about 10 seconds after I opened the box and looked at it I went WOW this is easy and what a great transmitter also. the test run blew my mind

Apparently there are a number of people that have had issues with Hlly transmitters. I have been using a CZH transmitter (they make most of the transmitters marketed by Hlly) that I purchased off ebay for over a year now with no issues. Perhaps I am the exception to the rule.

The signal to noise ratio, stereo separation, and harmonic distortion are all acceptable and the frequency response is very good. Plus I got it for $42.00. I am using a good antenna: the Ramsey FMA200 5/8 wave tunable antenna. I now use my Ramsey FM25B transmitter and LPA1 amp as a backup system.

I have black box 5000 i have used it all summer long real good sound and distance it comes with a antania a bit pricy $260.00 but works real good i play a stero in my grage tuned in to the black box have a file with 5000 songs in it on random play

scubado wrote:

I just got the 0.5 Watt VILLA FM TRANSMITTER from HLLY. It arrived yesterday.

There is nothing to solder, right out of the box, I had it running in less than 5 minutes.

A quick test found it crystal clear .25 miles away with the antenna it came with it.... as far as my display can be seen, and then some! I'll post again after I've had a chance to test more.

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/top-grade-05w-villa-fm-transmitter-antenna-power-p-59.html

$98 + $2.50 shipping = $100.50

LORi P wrote:

scubado wrote:

I just got the 0.5 Watt VILLA FM TRANSMITTER  from HLLY.  It arrived yesterday. 

There is nothing to solder, right out of the box, I had it running in less than 5 minutes.

A quick test found it crystal clear .25 miles away with the antenna it came with it.... as far as my display can be seen, and then some!    I'll post again after I've had a chance to test more. 

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/top-grade-05w-villa-fm-transmitter-antenna-power-p-59.html

Please keep us posted. I'm planning on ordering my transmitter soon, currently waiting for some bonus money on my paycheck.
I'm curious how well Sandstorm will broadcast over it, I think that would be a good test song.

LORi P wrote:

scubado wrote:

I just got the 0.5 Watt VILLA FM TRANSMITTER  from HLLY.  It arrived yesterday. 

A quick test found it crystal clear .25 miles away with the antenna it came with it.... as far as my display can be seen, and then some!    I'll post again after I've had a chance to test more. 

Please keep us posted. I'm planning on ordering my transmitter soon, currently waiting for some bonus money on my paycheck.
I'm curious how well Sandstorm will broadcast over it, I think that would be a good test song.

Tested my whole house transmitter yesterday when I got home. I had it all set up in our computer room, and it was scratchy just to the driveway (probably 30ft.).
Once I connected the antenna extender, it was fine. I'm not going to trash it. when it goes out, I'll buy a new one.

I too just receved my CZH - 5c transmittersame price as yhe 05C. It may be overkill because it's lowest power setting is 1.5 watts and the high is 5 watts . Out of the box it was completely assmbled plugged everything in and presto I was on the air. The range is about 2 city blocks and crystal clear. Once I get the antenna installed ouside the range will be further. the only drawback I can see for now is the cooling fan noise but maybe I can find a quieter one .

I just ordered an EDM-LCD-RDS-EP transmitter. This was based on the input from you great people on this forum. I can't wait to get it! I'm not much at soldering, but I think I can do what is needed on this unit. The Whole House transmitter was so bad that just about anything will be an improvement.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out when it arrives!