Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

james campbell

I made the rest of my extension cords tonight and decided to hook up and run a few songs. I noticed a humming when the song is dead in between the next song. I am using a czh -05 100mw to 500mw using it on low power,and transmitting on 100.7. I have tried the rubber antenna as well as a metal antenna,the metal one is better but not good enough. what the best fix?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• EARLE W. TALLEY

• scubado

• Mark Showalter

Is this the transmitter that's cheap from Ebay? I haven't heard your model mentioned before. I know there's a lot of EDM fans here. I'm on the fence right now between an EDM or a HLLY for half the price.

The reason so many of us are EDM fans is because we own them and are convinced (often via bad experience with other brands) that they're the most reliable and best-sounding ones around. Personally, with all we put into this hobby - money, time and effort - I'm not convinced it's a wise idea to be shaving a few bucks on arguably the most important item we use.

Sounds like a ground problem or a bad power source try switching out the transformer for a good quality transformer.Also check the polarity of yoyr outlet.

mmais68569 wrote:

Which EDM unit do most people use? I do not need to transmitt over 400 feet, also do I need the Rubber Duck antenna for $12?

Mike

I own the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP and love it. No I don't find the extra antenna necessary. Awesome sound quality and range with just the included wire antenna. Any of the LCD models should suffice. Just a matter if you want to add the ability (or will in the future) to broadcast RDS. This past year they added the LCD-CS model and there was a recent thread here that discussed that and all that used it seemed to be pleased. You basically just sacrifice audio quality a tad, but I suspect that a non-audiophile wouldn't be able to tell the difference, especially over a car radio.

scubado wrote:

Is this the transmitter that's cheap from Ebay? I haven't heard your model mentioned before. I know there's a lot of EDM fans here. I'm on the fence right now between an EDM or a HLLY for half the price

HLLY also makes MBB, or at least the Eclipse-4000 they sell, or used to sell.

I echo George's comments..tough to find a bad comment about EDM..and for less than 200 bucks, you are good to go. The audio quality speaks for itself.

For me, it was an easy decision to make.

Could also be noise from an under filtered power supply. May be able to add another capacitor to the power supply or try powering from a battery to test.

Mike Manzara wrote:

Sounds like a ground problem or a bad power source try switching out the transformer for a good quality transformer.Also check the polarity of yoyr outlet.

thanks Mike that fixed it, I was using a differnt one that came with it because they send the wrong cord, found a cord that would work and now it is clean and clear:D

mmais68569 wrote:

Which EDM unit do most people use? I do not need to transmitt over 400 feet, also do I need the Rubber Duck antenna for $12?

Mike

Mike, I have and use the EDM-TX-LCD come by sometime and look at it and here it for yourself.

Earle

Just for the new guys. Be aware that the V6000 that Mobile Black Box sells is a mono transmitter. And as others have noted. The quality of the sound transmitted is half of the show. I have one of the E4000. When it comes time to replace it or to buy a spare. It will be a stereo transmitter. More than likely it will be an EDM.

Guest wbottomley

I've been running a Ramsey FM 35B, that's correct, for 5 years. Not one problem so far. But... I have an EDM as a backup just in case the other goes out. This year, I might run the EDM as a primary because it sounds much better.

Mark Showalter wrote:

Can you purchase the EDM complete...without the need to solder and assemble?

No you can't.
However "assembly" is too strong of a word for what it consists of for the EDMs. I don't solder either, but this was a piece of cake. I had soldered only 2 times in my life before (literally 2 wires together), and poorly at that! No regrets on my part with this though. I trusted what others here had said that it was ridiculously easy to "assemble" this unit. All EDM's require some assembly. Well, EDM took the least assembly required approach. Have to solder 1 single part, and it isn't even a tough connection since basically all you have to do is let the solder fill the holes where the part attaches (see page 6 of this manual for great pictures http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf )

Literally anybody can do it.

Mark, the last person we talked into getting an EDM also said he didn't think he could do it. After he got it and put it together his commit was " so easy a monkey can do it ". It is really very easy.

Earle

Mark Showalter wrote:

Okay, Surf4 and Earle, that does look pretty "monkey" easy. EDM has a lot of different models. Any ideas which would work best for an LOR application?

I would also like to buy an EDM, but wonder which model to get??? Thanks for any help you can give.

edm lcd here im sold on it let me add this yes its in kit form but i know you ve heard the term so easy a blind man could do it well im the blind man and i did it