Light-O-Rama Forums

Sale/No Sale???????????

Ralph D

Hes so right. Samantha my youngest...who is 17 her boy friend Steve of 2 1/2 years now is the reason i got my show up last year. what a good kid. he must of spent 30 hours here from 3pm to 1030 every night until we were done. so yes enlist the boyfriends. now i tell the girls they cant date a kid to long unless they do a Christmas setup and breakdown. lol

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Arnoldc

• LORi P

• BrownOut

jimswinder wrote:

David Rise wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:
I have noticed this year that my 10 year old is starting to truly be a help, and she is thrilled. I am thinking that I will at least get 2-3 years of help from her before she loses interest.

If ya do it right. You can get her doing sequences for ya.

If ya do it right, you can enlist her boyfriend in 20 or 30 years... :)

Fixed that for you. (you forgot some zeros).

don't know if id let him sequence, but im starting to be able to let go of things, in the past i would have never let go of anything. so maybe id consider it, but that's a big one to give up.

David Rise wrote:

Can't wait for my son to be old enough to help me out.

last year my son used some of his christmas money to but lights at the after christmas sale:D

Ralph D wrote:

don't know if id let him sequence, but im starting to be able to let go of things, in the past i would have never let go of anything. so maybe id consider it, but that's a big one to give up.

I would love to off load some sequencing to my kids, they enjoy watching the show, but that's about it.

CKSedg wrote:

David Rise wrote:

I found that about the time they get old enough to really be a help---they are not interested in helping any more.  Crazy kids!

That is why, if possible, you have son-in-laws! :)

james campbell wrote:

David Rise wrote:

last year my son used some of his christmas money to but lights at the after christmas sale:D

Now that is a well trained child! This year I would try to convince him that he can buy "his very own controller" that can be added to the show.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I have noticed this year that my 10 year old is starting to truly be a help, and she is thrilled. I am thinking that I will at least get 2-3 years of help from her before she loses interest.

If you are lucky, you may have a budding electrical engineer on your hands.... better watch out, Dan!

jimswinder wrote:

Damn kids!!!

What were we thinking!!! ;)

What a trade off . . .

18 seconds of sheer extacy for 18 years of hell! :?

Cray Augsburg wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Damn kids!!!

What were we thinking!!!  ;)

What a trade off . . .

18 seconds????? Wow.........

jimswinder wrote:

David Rise wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

If ya do it right, you can enlist her boyfriend in 2 or 3 years... :shock:

As a father of a daughter who just turned 10 on Monday, I can tell you it WILL be more than 2-3 years...:X:shock:.

Mine has passing interest at the moment, other than to help give a thumbs up/thumbs down for songs for the display...she has more fun echoing my wife's comment of "is he playing with Christmas lights again?.."...

DonFL wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
David Rise wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

If ya do it right, you can enlist her boyfriend in 2 or 3 years... :shock:

As a father of a daughter who just turned 10 on Monday, I can tell you it WILL be more than 2-3 years...:X:shock:.

Mine has passing interest at the moment, other than to help give a thumbs up/thumbs down for songs for the display...she has more fun echoing my wife's comment of "is he playing with Christmas lights again?.."...

I know what you mean. Out of our seven children, only one showed mild interest in my light display. Our youngest son helped from the time he was about six until twelve when he lost interest and I couldn't even beg or threaten him enough to help. Now it's just me and my lovely wonderful helpful wife.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Damn kids!!!

What were we thinking!!!  :P

What a trade off . . .

Since when did it stop at 18?!

This is just my thoughts on the subject and pertains to my family personally...

My son and daughter grew up in the 80's and 90's with a father that was obsessed with Christmas lights and a huge static display.

I would imagine that they did not see the "pretty blinky lights" or the joy it brought to others (and myself)...

All they knew and saw was the time it took AWAY from them for a few months each winter...

And that was just with a static display...now it is a year-round activity for me with LOR...but now it is just me, as they have grown up and moved out...

Though they now bring their friends around to show them the "blinky lights", I would imagine back when they were just kids, they would have been happy for Dad to spend that time with them instead of a "pile of Christmas Lights"...

It's all about "balance"...

Christmas Lights should not be at the top of our list of priorities...

Just some thoughts from an old man who has been there....

and wishes he would have done it differently...

Jim,

If they still come back to show others your lights, then obviously you did something right! They must be proud of you or they would not bring others by to see your lights!! Keep up the good work and give your kids a hug!!!

And it was your son in those videos of you putting up the weber tree, right? That doesn't seem like dad ordered his son to help...looked pretty voluntary to me..thats a pretty good compliment to his respect/love/etc for his father.

(We won't mention how all of his hard work was wasted by that minor flaw that brought it crashing to the ground..:P:P:P:D:D:D)

But you are correct..IF I could spend all my weekends working on lights, I'd be more than ready...but..thats not the way it is, or the way I desire it to be.

DonFL wrote:

And it was your son in those videos of you putting up the weber tree, right? That doesn't seem like dad ordered his son to help...looked pretty voluntary to me..thats a pretty good compliment to his respect/love/etc for his father.

LOL

Let's see what happens this year when there are NO TV cameras around!!! LOL

and ArnoldC..we DO have a life!!!

sort of... :?

CKSedg wrote:

David Rise wrote:

I found that about the time they get old enough to really be a help---they are not interested in helping any more. Crazy kids!

Ya they have no interest in helping but when it comes to impress their friends .

"Have a look at MY house..."