Light-O-Rama Forums

Waiting on S3

Larry Leonhardt

DevMike wrote:

I think I'd be more upset if people were NOT screaming for a release. The fact that they are says they are excited for the new stuff :D

We are talking software, right?

So...too early to start screaming for S4??

Any secret stuff you want to let out???? :D

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bob

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

jimswinder wrote:

DevMike wrote:
I think I'd be more upset if people were NOT screaming for a release. The fact that they are says they are excited for the new stuff :D

Any secret stuff you want to let out????   :D

WOW! +1

jimswinder wrote:

DevMike wrote:
I think I'd be more upset if people were NOT screaming for a release. The fact that they are says they are excited for the new stuff :)

Any secret stuff you want to let out???? :D

Seems kinda premature Jim, doesn't it? :D

Donny M. Carter wrote:

I think the thread about the thread should be ignored! Now... the thread about the other thread that was referring to the first three threads, you can probably worry about that thread. Unless you remember the first thread a while back, that thread may be more important then the third thread but not more important than the fourth thread. The fourth thread is a whole different story. Of course this is all just my opinion, but what do I know!

Donny

Oh you are talking about THAT thread! :shock: (I knew that poestenkill guy was involved somehow!)

Trust me, others are still working very hard on beta testing this thing. To give you an idea, I have two show computers running with shows and sequences non stop. Shows start and stop every 15 to 30 minutes 24-7...my cat is going nuts watching the blinky lights. Both set up a little different, and one is flawless. The other one locks up nearly ever night because of one new addition to the relm of things I have going on. Now image if it was released, and like most people, wouldn't even think about creating a show and running it before a week or so to start up. Imagine the post flying on here the week before from a bug that causes your machine to lock up :(

Jeff summed it up nicely above this, Dan and Co. know what there doing, hang in there :cool:

I can trust that the LOR guys and the BETA testers are doing everything they can to get S3 to market.... With the amount of chatter I have seen here, I can only imagine the pressure. I just want this so bad.... It's like having to wait until Christmas morning to open a present. I just can't wait.

cenote wrote:

Trust me, others are still working very hard on beta testing this thing. To give you an idea, I have two show computers running with shows and sequences non stop. Shows start and stop every 15 to 30 minutes 24-7...my cat is going nuts watching the blinky lights. Both set up a little different, and one is flawless. The other one locks up nearly ever night because of one new addition to the relm of things I have going on. Now image if it was released, and like most people, wouldn't even think about creating a show and running it before a week or so to start up. Imagine the post flying on here the week before from a bug that causes your machine to lock up :(

Jeff summed it up nicely above this, Dan and Co. know what there doing, hang in there :cool:

Oh geez now Mike and gang will have to write a couple hundred lines of code to avoid "cat insanity" caused by S3..:(

Do you beta testers have to report EVERYTHING?...:)

(using the SFD protocol, smileys inserted to confirm the post is totally 100% tongue in cheek and nonsense)

DonFL wrote:

cenote wrote:
Trust me, others are still working very hard on beta testing this thing.  To give you an idea, I have two show computers running with shows and sequences non stop.  Shows start and stop every 15 to 30 minutes 24-7...my cat is going nuts watching the blinky lights.  Both set up a little different, and one is flawless.  The other one locks up nearly ever night because of one new addition to the relm of things I have going on.  Now image if it was released, and like most people, wouldn't even think about creating a show and running it before a week or so to start up.  Imagine the post flying on here the week before from a bug that causes your machine to lock up :(

Do you beta testers have to report EVERYTHING?...:)

Of course, Don

Now just for the record, I haven't reported anything.

Either five other people found it before I did, or

I must be slacking and not pushing my sequenches to the extreme, or

Not creative enough to think about trying to do something that the programmers never in a million years would have thought that someone would try to do.

cenote wrote:

Trust me, others are still working very hard on beta testing this thing. To give you an idea, I have two show computers running with shows and sequences non stop. Shows start and stop every 15 to 30 minutes 24-7...my cat is going nuts watching the blinky lights.
No actual animals were hurt, or mistreated in this exercise...their welfare was always top of mind.

One post here got me to thinking about how the beta testers are going to get their work done for their displays while this beta testing lingers on. I know how stressed I get as it gets closer to lighting up, I can only imagine how many things are going on in the heads of the beta testers. Thanks to all of you for what you do!

thevikester wrote:

cenote wrote:
Trust me, others are still working very hard on beta testing this thing. To give you an idea, I have two show computers running with shows and sequences non stop. Shows start and stop every 15 to 30 minutes 24-7...my cat is going nuts watching the blinky lights.
No actual animals were hurt, or mistreated in this exercise...their welfare was always top of mind.
Actually, my dogs did the sequencing for the test shows..I think they are using the blinky lights to somehow distract the cat. No worries, the cat is much older and wiser than her pesky brothers

jimswinder wrote:

Wow...

Have been biting my tongue on this subject for a LOOOOONG time...but can't bite it any more!! :)

How can you guys blame the BETA testers?? They were asked to find all the "bugs" they could...and that's what they tried to do. If it was anyone's decision to FIX any and or all of the bugs that were found, that would have been LOR...and in my opinion, I'm glad they are fixing most (if not all) the bugs BEFORE they release it...and believe me....I want (NEED) S3 just as much as anyone and everyone else does.

So come on...let's quit complaining about S3, Summer (September) Sales, CCB's and EVERYTHING else associated with LOR and let Dan run HIS company...

We are acting like we are privy to every detail of LOR's operation...

If you don't like the way LOR is run and think you can do a better job...then start your own business....

And if you do start your own business, please let us know so we can attack your business practices also...

EDIT:

Don't be surprised that the first time you hear of a new product or S4 being released is the day it goes up for sale...

and I bet it will be the same people complaining now that will be complaining "Why weren't we told this was coming out"?...

Should I wait for S4 to be released?:shock:

First I have the utmost respect for the BETA testers. They are just doing what is asked of them. If the request was to find all the bugs in the software then I am sure that they are doing just that and it can be long an tedious.

For LOR who is driving to fix all the bugs there comes a time when the product must be released. As in all new software that is when more bugs will be found just based on the number of people using the software.

Maybe LOR realizes that releasing the software and the inevitable result of more bugs that they are not prepared to respond quickly enough.

But then if you examine pepper long enough you are sure to find some fly poop and will want to keep looking.

seankovacs wrote:

It's past the point for them to even consider releasing it this year. Shelve it and add more features for a July release next year.

for some of us...even July would be too late for next year...

we (I) still want it as soon as we can get it for this year (next year)...

seankovacs wrote:

It's past the point for them to even consider releasing it this year. Shelve it and add more features for a July release next year.

And your logic for this statement?

S2 was released mid November 2007, many of us used it for our shows that year, and really enjoyed and appreciated the new capabilities, had no problems with it running our S1 created shows.

If you have your current sequences done in S2, then the transition to S3 will be seamless, just enhanced if you desire to do any tweaking.

Actually, I remember when it was released mid-November 2007 and although many did switch to it, I remember that most did not as it was too much of a risk prior to lighting up.

Here is my sentiment on S3, CCB's, new controllers, etc.: LOR being a seasonal company is going through what many call the "Big Rush", "Slapshot", or "Lockdown". They are trying to get a quality product out the door before it becomes past the point to where people won't use (or buy) it. In doing so, they should be working much longer hours, having a deadline schedule for each product line, and a gantt chart showing the problems to overcome on each. Obviously, each of the problems should be addressed as quickly as possible for release. The longer LOR takes on each product release, the more money they potentially lose as these products could have been sold for use this year.

I'm anxiously awaiting S3 myself as I need to enter 14 CCR's with unique naming...and doing that in S2 is painful. However, I'll wait another week to see if we have any word on S3. If not, I'll do it in S2 and it'll take 10x longer, but for now I have a way of doing it...even if it is painful. Only the beta testers and LOR know how many bugs/outstanding issues remain, however it would be nice to see all products listed in the PDU so we can plan our season out accordingly.

Working longer hours?

I see see the programmers responding to the beta testers comments in the beta forums before eight o'clock in the morning to after 10:30 at night. Saturday and Sunday included.

How many hours do you expect them to work?

15 hours a day, 7 days a week seems like they are working much longer hours to me.

But maybe I'm wrong on this, just like some people thought I was wrong to switch my display from S1 to S2 in mid November ( it ran without a problem )

Just my opinion

John, that was my point...they should be working longer hours as you noted. We outsiders have no indication of what you just stated, but figured that would be the case. :(

As far as I can see, the primary benefit of S3 is channel setup, sequencing, and visualization which most should be near completion at the end of November, so although many can switch over to S3 in mid-November (if need be), the value of doing so wouldn't be as high.

Again, just my opinion and to take it with a grain of salt... :)