Light-O-Rama Forums

Waiting on S3

Larry Leonhardt

Well. . . .
On one hand I am happy for the thoroughness of the testing. On the other it is time to move on and begin sequencing. I have waited too long for S3 and now it is crunch time got to make a move.

I would really like to see SuperStar as a stand alone program - I could really use it now. Found the software website and it was too late to purchase it.

I got LSP 2.0 free as an upgrade and having a tough time learning it, I hate to spend more time learning a new sequencing program but . . . ???

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bob

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

JBullard wrote:

trankin79 wrote:

On a side note, that many bugs in that short of time, bout time for a new project manager or squints. :-) *

*disclaimer - the smiley means I mean no harm or disrespect in any shape, form or fashion, I'm just relaying my joking opinion as cheerful, happy and content as humanly possible.

No, perhaps you misunderstood. Many times, different features are introduced with each beta release. Each new feature requires through testing on a variety of different hardware, perhaps adjustments are required, released, retested, etc.

I bought LSP 1.x last year. Spent most of the sequencing season downloading (almost) weekly software revisions that were fixing bugs that we the paying customers were finding and reporting. Apparently David must have decided to start over (from what I read on their forum) to do a complete rewrite. I decided to not pay for their version 2 upgrade. I really hope for their customers that they have the problems worked out.

Just my opinion, as you are also entitled to yours.

Ah gotcha, we do things a little differently I guess. Which everyone company does. I couldn't even imagine adding features to our beta during beta, change management would be a nightmare. :shock:

I haven't had much trouble with LSP2, like I said, I really just wanted it for the visual side of it. I sequence in S2, import to LSP2 and make sure my mind isn't completely losing it's creativity!! ;)

I work for a company that has a similar development style. I swear, the lead developer has never heard the concept of Feature Locking! It never fails that a day or two before launch some major new feature is added and we then spend the next couple of days scrambling to rewrite affected documentation, etc. Bugs are always missed and launch day itself is usually spent trying to squash as many of them as possible before putting it live a few minutes before midnight.

It sounds like the LoR software is on a better cycle than ours... but only by a little. ;)

Jeff Millard wrote:

trankin79 wrote:
I couldn't even imagine adding features to our beta during beta...

Who said anything about adding features? This is why it's so hard to discuss what is happening. Each person reads something different into what someone says. ...and every time I post I have a better understanding why we're asked not to say anything at all.

Jeff

Umm...I think John did above. :P

JBullard wrote:
No, perhaps you misunderstood. Many times, different features are introduced with each beta release. Each new feature requires through testing on a variety of different hardware, perhaps adjustments are required, released, retested, etc.

Yes I was referring to your comment Jeff

And early on DevMike was able to "sneak" in some enhancements that really improved the "real world" user experience.

Here is an idea...:P

Beta-testers should all stop finding bugs, thus "allowing" the release of S3. Then you can return to your bug finding mission after its release. ;)Somewhat seriously, my guess is that none of the bugs presently being found are mission critical (I certainly hope those would have been found before now). There is no way for it to be perfect upon release. But fortunately for LOR, they don't have to publish it, box it up, and send to Best Buy to sell and it is a done deal. Instead it can be polished further as we go (I am sure it is already pretty polished to begin with). That is why S2 is up to Version 2.9.4 as we speak. There must have been 30 version upgrades since S2 was released. I don't recall anybody complaining about that--in fact it felt like Christmas morning every time a new update was released...couldn't wait to open it to see what we got. :D Now if we are talking major design flaws then this is a different story. But I suspect that most of the glitches being found now won't affect 95% of the average users. Again, I HOPE that is the stage the software is to, or otherwise it won't be released any time soon.

Now I understand that my scope of view is pretty limited--to just a bunch of addicted LOR nuts here on the forums that are probably pretty forgiving of minor glitches found along the way. I suppose the rest of the LOR customers might not be as forgiving/patient.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Here is an idea...:P

Beta-testers should all stop finding bugs, thus "allowing" the release of S3.   Then you can return to your bug finding mission after its release.  ;)  Somewhat seriously, my guess is that none of the bugs presently being found are mission critical (I certainly hope those would have been found before now).  There is no way for it to be perfect upon release.  But fortunately for LOR, they don't have to publish it, box it up, and send to Best Buy to sell and it is a done deal.  Instead it can be polished further as we go (I am sure it is already pretty polished to begin with).  That is why S2 is up to Version 2.9.4 as we speak.  There must have been 30 version upgrades since S2 was released.  I don't recall anybody complaining about that--in fact it felt like Christmas morning every time a new update was released...couldn't wait to open it to see what we got. :D Now if we are talking major design flaws then this is a different story.  But I suspect that most of the glitches being found now won't affect 95% of the average users.  Again, I HOPE that is the stage the software is to, or otherwise it won't be released any time soon. 

Now I understand that my scope of view is pretty limited--to just a bunch of addicted LOR nuts here on the forums that are probably pretty forgiving of minor glitches found along the way.  I suppose the rest of the LOR customers might not be as forgiving/patient.

Do you know how many times in the last month I've tried to type a non-offensive message to all beta testers telling them to stop finding bugs and save some for us? LOTS of deleted posts because I didn't like the tone, and definitely did not want to offend any of the LOR developers who are hard at work.

Thanks Surfing for expressing my thoughts :D

Wow...

Have been biting my tongue on this subject for a LOOOOONG time...but can't bite it any more!! :P

How can you guys blame the BETA testers?? They were asked to find all the "bugs" they could...and that's what they tried to do. If it was anyone's decision to FIX any and or all of the bugs that were found, that would have been LOR...and in my opinion, I'm glad they are fixing most (if not all) the bugs BEFORE they release it...and believe me....I want (NEED) S3 just as much as anyone and everyone else does.

So come on...let's quit complaining about S3, Summer (September) Sales, CCB's and EVERYTHING else associated with LOR and let Dan run HIS company...

We are acting like we are privy to every detail of LOR's operation...

If you don't like the way LOR is run and think you can do a better job...then start your own business....

And if you do start your own business, please let us know so we can attack your business practices also...

EDIT:

Don't be surprised that the first time you hear of a new product or S4 being released is the day it goes up for sale...

and I bet it will be the same people complaining now that will be complaining "Why weren't we told this was coming out"?...

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Here is an idea...:)

Beta-testers should all stop finding bugs, thus "allowing" the release of S3. Then you can return to your bug finding mission after its release. ;)Somewhat seriously, my guess is that none of the bugs presently being found are mission critical (I certainly hope those would have been found before now). There is no way for it to be perfect upon release. But fortunately for LOR, they don't have to publish it, box it up, and send to Best Buy to sell and it is a done deal. Instead it can be polished further as we go (I am sure it is already pretty polished to begin with). That is why S2 is up to Version 2.9.4 as we speak. There must have been 30 version upgrades since S2 was released. I don't recall anybody complaining about that--in fact it felt like Christmas morning every time a new update was released...couldn't wait to open it to see what we got. :D Now if we are talking major design flaws then this is a different story. But I suspect that most of the glitches being found now won't affect 95% of the average users. Again, I HOPE that is the stage the software is to, or otherwise it won't be released any time soon.

Now I understand that my scope of view is pretty limited--to just a bunch of addicted LOR nuts here on the forums that are probably pretty forgiving of minor glitches found along the way. I suppose the rest of the LOR customers might not be as forgiving/patient.

I ask that anybody that suspects that my post above was being critical of beta-testers or of LOR (or Dan, Mary, Alex, or anybody involved with LOR or the forums for that matter), please reread my post above with the mindset that it wasn't meant to be negative. I think you might perceive what I was saying differently if starting from that mindset (meaning a non-critical mindset). In no way was it meant to be critical, and tried my best to write it in such a way that that perception would be avoided, hence the choice of words, the smileys, and underlining. (Maybe I should have included a ":P" after the first sentence. ;)) There was definitely some degree of sarcasm intended, and the rest more or less observation (of what beta-testers are saying, and of previous software updates).

What my point was is that I was never disappointed by a non-perfect S2, and actually happy to receive the updates/corrections over the past 2 years. Don't want LOR to feel pressured that S3 has to be perfect (but understand that there are some, probably most outside of these forums, that might expect otherwise--hence my last paragraph in the quoted post above).

:):):):(;):D:P:X:?:shock::cool::dude::):(:):):) (figured I would include them all just to cover my tail.)

I think with the tension of everything, everybody is taking everything negativity. Even when your just trying to relay a statement or ask a question, drama starts. Why I've decided to place my disclaimer at the end of every post.

:-) *

*disclaimer - the smiley means I mean no harm or disrespect in any shape, form or fashion, I'm just relaying my joking opinion as cheerful, happy and content as humanly possible.

Jim, I will not speak for anyone else, but in case my tone did not come through, let me be perfectly clear, I was simply teasing the beta testers.
Just about every one of them has helped me and I have enjoyed getting to know everyone here. I have also been a developer, a beta tester, a sysadmin, project manager, an end user, ect so I am very familiar with what they are going through.

Now, do I seriously wish that they would find nothing wrong and the software would be released today, or yesterday for that matter, sure, who does not? But just as serious and for the record:

TO ALL BETA TESTERS - Thanks for helping to make the software that all depend on reliable and as idiot proof as possible. All of you have put lots of time into this with little or no thanks, and probably more than one argument that did not go your way with the developers, so THANK YOU for doing it and putting up with us impatient users.

I think the thread about the thread should be ignored! Now... the thread about the other thread that was referring to the first three threads, you can probably worry about that thread. Unless you remember the first thread a while back, that thread may be more important then the third thread but not more important than the fourth thread. The fourth thread is a whole different story. Of course this is all just my opinion, but what do I know!

Donny

Now if Murphy's law works we should see it in a few days, because I decided to stop waiting. No more pressure for Dan, LOR developers, my daughter and me. We will begin programming 2011 with S2! Done!

I have been tooooo stressed over this year's show and I have to remove those items that I have been procrastinating with, eg: programming. FREEZE THE LAYOUT/GRID !!!! I have used S3 as my excuse to keep changing the layout. I'M DONE.

WOW, that feels good. I will start programming Friday Night! Yea !!!!!

The biggest problem is a lack of leaked beta versions. If somone would just do this those who can't wait for the final version will be satisfied and lor is covered if all their controllers blow up since the release was not authorized.

Problem solved.

Jim Saul wrote:

Jim, I will not speak for anyone else, but in case my tone did not come through, let me be perfectly clear, I was simply teasing the beta testers.

I apologize for not "seeing" anyone's tone...I should have been more sensitive and looked "deeper", especially since it has happened to me on more than one occasion.

I just wanted to convey that I believe everyone involved (BETA Testers, Dan, LOR Developers and all of the other LOR Staff) are doing everything they can to get us a first class product that we and they can be proud of and say is the best in the Christmas Lighting Display business...

Believe me, I am just as frustrated as everyone else...except for probably Dan himself...

Like I think Jeff M mentioned in another thread...after all...this hobby IS about Christmas, right? :)

I've been gazing into my crystal ball...

Don't worry, be happy!

To borrow a line from the greatest TV show of all time,

"Not soon enough for friends so true,
The software will be released when the moon is blue...."

Ok, so now someone look up when the next blue moon is, and we'll all know when we can order S3.

In the mean time, GET BACK TO SEQUENCING!!

D.T.

Edit - Just looked it up... it will be Aug 21, 2013. Don't worry, be happy! :)

DownTown wrote:

Edit - Just looked it up... it will be Aug 21, 2013. Don't worry, be happy! :)

What show is that quote from??

When I did a search on the next Blue Moon I found this date:

The next Blue Moon will be August 31, 2012.

Year Month Day

1999 January 31

1999 March 31

2001 November 30

2004 July 31

2007 June 30

2009 December 31

2012 August 31

2015 July 31

2018 January 31

2018 March 31

2020 October 31

2023 August 31

2026 May 31

2028 December 31

EDIT:

Two definitions of a BLUE MOON...the above is the second full moon in a month while downtown was using this one:

Third full moon of four in a season. The Old Farmer’s Almanac defined a Blue Moon as an extra full moon that occurred in a season. One season – winter, spring, fall, summer – typically has three full moons. If a season has four full moons, then the third full moon may be called a Blue Moon.
The next blue moon by this definition will fall on August 21, 2013.

jimswinder wrote:

DownTown wrote:

Edit - Just looked it up... it will be Aug 21, 2013. Don't worry, be happy! :D

What show is that quote from??

Nice job on the research Jim. Your information is correct. The show that I borrowed the quote from is Gilligan's Island. Boy, do I miss Maryann :D

D.T.

DevMike wrote:

I think I'd be more upset if people were NOT screaming for a release. The fact that they are says they are excited for the new stuff :D

Well then hurry up!! :D