Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Arch dimension suggestions?

martymiller

Used sch 40 3/4".
I drilled the holes in the 2x4 at a angle. I'm wondering if I drill them straight down, if it would help make a better curve?

Attached files 262234=14533-IMG_0241.JPG

• 6 months later...

Jeff Millard wrote:

HiTechLights wrote:
Jeff, how many splices did you make to the CCRs and at what lengths are they? Also how did you mount them to the PVC? Pics would be great if possible. Thanks!

I cut the ribbons in half between pixels 25 and 26. I placed a Molex connector set there. I also put one at the beginning and end of the Ribbon. Each 25 pixel length can be placed anywhere, so the extra ribbon I have is on standby to replace any arch that happens to have pixels go bad along the way. I used about a foot of wire to each connector. They are attached to the PVC with clear wire ties on every other pixel. They've been put away in the loft until setup time, so the links above are the best I can do for pix... sorry.

Jeff

Jeff, Where did you get your Molex connectors from? I assume you used the extra wire from when you cut down the existing wire to 1'. I am going to do this to my CCRs this summer, looks like much easier, and nicer to store....Thanks

• 4 months later...

I can send him one of my sequences. I have two CCR's that will be four arches. Now I'm no expert at it but did manage to figure it out and once you've figured it out, it goes pretty easy. Give me an email address and i'll send it when i get home.

Could you send me some of those sequences for CCR. I am on the learning curve too so ID LOVE to learn from your sequence.

navykidd02@yahoo.com

Edited by navykidd02

• 3 months later...

I can send him one of my sequences. I have two CCR's that will be four arches. Now I'm no expert at it but did manage to figure it out and once you've figured it out, it goes pretty easy. Give me an email address and i'll send it when i get home.

I am also trying to make 4 arches out of 2 ccr's and would really appreciate the sequences, so that I can get the hang of it. Thank you so much

jafflsports@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

All I did was cut the PVC to the length of the 25 pixels when layed straight out( don't remember exact measurement). Cut the PVC to this length, add a couple inches at each end for wires and such. Drilled a hole through the pipe at each end.Then I just bent the PVC to the desired height, and ran a heavy guage wire(used for suspending drop ceiling framing to be exact) through each end through the holes I drilled and twisted them back around themselves so they would not come out. To place in ground I used pieces of aluminum bar and cut them to at least 16 inches, hammered them in the ground near ends of arches and zip tied the arch to the aluminum bar. Quick and painless.

The biggest thing I read about the CCRs was to NOT manipulate them too much.

I have 2 CCRs making 4 arches. They were made using PVC piping but I used T pieces at the ends and them have a piece across the ground

so the arches are permanent. It means they are more bulky to store but this way the CCRs are not manipulated at all.

My 2c worth !

Dave

Edited by RaceMedic

• 9 months later...

I know this is a very old thread. I built six arches out of three CCRs. Maybe I took the complicated route by heating and bending my schedule 40 PVC but not having to flex or re-mount the CCR's every year will prevent damage. When making my first set of arches, I couldn't find any detailed instructions and had to wing it and figure out a lot of stuff on my own. This year, I built four more arches, took lots of pictures, and put together a detailed illustrated guide. Use at your own risk. The download is approximately 5 MB.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2113630/Making_CCR_Half_Arches.pdf

You're welcome RJ. I've got all my props ready for this year. Now I just need to re-sequence to add in the four new arches to this year's show.

I did kind of the same thing this year. I used 4 core pigtails instead of molex connectors. Thought it would be more water resistant! I didn't think to use wrap on them, may have to add it to them.

Did the wrap have any effect on the CCR's colors?

The stretch wrap doesn't affect the colors. It's quite transparent. The four core pigtails is a good idea. What I do is once I get the show set up, I weatherproof all of my connections laying on the ground, including electrical, with the stretch wrap. I found it has many practical uses.

hi all this will be my very first lor Christmas, and to say that i am overwhelmed and a little confused would be a understatement..  for my first year i will have 48 channels and two ccr's that i planned on making 4 arches with.. 16 of the channels will be used on a mega tree..  i loved your tutorial hank, it helped me out allot, but i do have a major concern..  is it absolutely necessary to cut the ccr to add the wire, or can i just place the arches right next to each other to avoid it..  i am by far not a rich man, and this took me about 10 years of convincing the wife to let me purchase all the equipment.  if i go cutting the ccr's and voiding the warranty (not to mention i have no soldering experience) my wife is going to come on glued..   

also i know allot of people have problems with sharing there sequences, but if any one has any sequences that i can use to learn from i will be greatly appreciative.. I think just looking at a completed sequence in the editor will be able to help me understand how to sequence songs a little easier..

thanks for any help

jason

coralfishg@yahoo.com

Jason, the main reason why most of us cut the CCR and use cable between them is because the flexing of the ribbon between the two arches is likely to cause damage to the ribbon. If you don't have soldering experience to add a cable between the ribbons then I strongly recommend that you don't try to cut the ribbon. If you're going to bend the ribbon between two arches along its plane, you must not bend it in less than a three foot diameter. An option is to rotate the ribbon so that it is bending perpendicular to the plane. Then you can do a 3 inch diameter bend between arches. However, keep in mind that the CCR's cannot tolerate much flexing and un-flexing. They're somewhat fragile. Since bend diameters and flexing is the primary concern, you might avoid these concerns and perhaps reset your sights to two larger arches instead where the CCR's don't need to be flexed between arches.

I'm fortunate to have a wife that encourages me. She loves to watch the children and families that come by and watch the show so I don't have to worry about her concerns if I damage a CCR. Fortunately, I've built six arches now by cutting the ribbon and haven't had a single failure yet, knock on wood.  ;)

Jason:

It took me several months before I had the nerve to cut my CCR's. I actually practiced soldering other stuff that I had around. When I felt good about it I cut them and it worked out great.

After cutting them in half and soldering pigtail in the middle I decided to put pigtails on the other end allowing easy set up. I've been running then inside for about 3 months now and never had a problem.

Larry

• The topic was locked