Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Arch dimension suggestions?

martymiller

Description pretty much explained it all but I've got a 22' wide space to work with at the front of my yard. I've purchased two CCRs and would like to have four arches made from these. Based upon the length of the CCRs and people's personal experiences, how far apart should I space the bases (rebar) for each PVC arch?

On a side note, what are most people using for PVC? 3/4"??

Thanks in advance!

Jeff, how many splices did you make to the CCRs and at what lengths are they? Also how did you mount them to the PVC? Pics would be great if possible. Thanks!

I made one arch with 1 CCR. At about 10 foot spacing for the rebar with 3/4 grey electric PVC, I had an arch that was about 6 foot high at peak.

I like to be able to walk under my arches.

okay...

each CCR is about 197"

so each CCR would make 2 arches with a 1/2 circumference of about 98"

the base of each arch with that circumference would be about 62", with a height of about 31"

So I would put each piece of rebar in the ground at about 62" apart, making the length of area you would need about 20.5 feet

I believe my calculations are now correct...

jimswinder wrote:

okay...

each CCR is about 197"

so each CCR would make 2 arches with a 1/2 circumference of about 98"

the base of each arch with that circumference would be about 62", with a height of about 31"

So I would put each piece of rebar in the ground at about 62" apart, making the length of area you would need about 20.5 feet

I believe my calculations are now correct...

That is about right.

Here are CCR circles from my 2010 display, Circumference was 62.5", length about 21 feet.

Attached files 258344=14261-PC270011.JPG

Dennis Cherry wrote:

That is about right.

Here are CCR circles from my 2010 display, Circumference was 62.5", length about 21 feet.

I think if I ever get around to doing circles, I would add one more and make the Olympic symbol... :P

but then I guess I would get in trouble and have my website shut down since it is copyrighted, huh? :P

jimswinder wrote:

Dennis Cherry wrote:
That is about right.

I think if I ever get around to doing circles, I would add one more and make the Olympic symbol... :D

but then I guess I would get in trouble and have my website shut down since it is copyrighted, huh? :P

Yes, and they are VERY aggressive about it. When the Winter Olympics were here in Salt Lake City in 2002, they went after every single person who used the Olympic rings in any way. They even made a farmer cut down his corn maze that was the shape of the Olympics rings. I don't think I would try to use them!

CKSedg wrote:

They even made a farmer cut down his corn maze that was the shape of the Olympics rings. I don't think I would try to use them!

I'll just make them all gold in color...

if they complain I will just say they are the "five golden rings" from the 12 Days Of Christmas...

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Just so that I got this correct....

1 CCR
1/2" PVC
8' length

Will make 2 arches approx 31" in height, yes?

Next question...

How difficult is it to sequence the CCR, compared to the PC controller?

David Rise wrote:

How difficult is it to sequence the CCR, compared to the PC controller?

If you already have the LOR software (2.9.4), which I would assume you do, you can already start sequencing your CCR and see how it works...

Like anything else, there is a learning curve...

Thanks Jim.
Just want to do 2 simple leaping arches. So the programming is the same as the rest? I thought that I read in one of the threads about folks having difficulties.
Gonna have to read through the threads. Not sure what I'll do with 150 channels. I'll only use 1 or 2 to start with.

David Rise wrote:

Thanks Jim.
Just want to do 2 simple leaping arches. So the programming is the same as the rest? I thought that I read in one of the threads about folks having difficulties.
Gonna have to read through the threads. Not sure what I'll do with 150 channels. I'll only use 1 or 2 to start with.
I think when you start playing with it you will get the hang of it pretty quick...

I think the "difficult" part is seeing all those channels and being a little overwhelmed...

I would imagine that somewhere there is a sequence you can download with some simple arches already in it?

Anyone??

I can send him one of my sequences. I have two CCR's that will be four arches. Now I'm no expert at it but did manage to figure it out and once you've figured it out, it goes pretty easy. Give me an email address and i'll send it when i get home.

Jeff Millard wrote:

I cut my ribbons in half and added a short ribbon wire with connectors to take them apart. I used 10' sections of grey 34" PVC. I drove 2' lengths of galvanized ground rod so it makes an X above the ground with about 1/3 of the 2' sticking above ground. I don't know what the spacing was between bars, I didn't measure it. But the middle was about 3' high. Doing it this way, I am able to easily disconnect the connectors, and remove the 6 archs at the end of the evening. I won't be leaving them outside. Way too expensive for vandals or theft...

Here's a Video of them in action at camp.

Jeff

Jeff, Looks real good! How do have the ribbon attached to the pipe and do you have it attached to the top or more towards the front of the pipe? Thanks

Bought 4 10' PVC pipes (Grey). Tried using a jig and leaving them in the sun all day to bend them. It kinda worked. But didn't get the bend I wanted. They looked more like an upside down V.
Cranked up the oven to 500 degrees. Grabbed both ends and put the middle part in as far as I could and closed the door as much as I could.
Slid the pipe back and forth until it got hot enough. 3 outta 4 came out almost as I wanted. Only screwed up one. It has a flat spot on top.
Back to HD for another pipe tomorrow.
Not going to use rebar. I'm going to try 2x4's. Drill a few holes and I should be good to go.
I'll take some pics when I'm done.

David Rise wrote:

Bought 4 10' PVC pipes (Grey). Tried using a jig and leaving them in the sun all day to bend them. It kinda worked. But didn't get the bend I wanted. They looked more like an upside down V.
Cranked up the oven to 500 degrees. Grabbed both ends and put the middle part in as far as I could and closed the door as much as I could.
Slid the pipe back and forth until it got hot enough. 3 outta 4 came out almost as I wanted. Only screwed up one. It has a flat spot on top.
Back to HD for another pipe tomorrow.
Not going to use rebar. I'm going to try 2x4's. Drill a few holes and I should be good to go.
I'll take some pics when I'm done.

Here's what I did and it worked perfect. I bought four 10' 3/4" electrical pvc pipe. I cut the pipe at 98 1/2 inches. This will put 25 channels on the arch perfectly. Then I just kinda bent the pvc until i found the desired arch look which happend to be 69 inches across the bottom. So I temporarily placed a ratchet strap to each end of the pipe and cranked it down until i got 69 inches and placed half of my ribbon on it with zip ties for testing. The height of the arch in the center is 32 inches. Now when i get ready to place them in the yard ill just put my rebar 69 inches apart.

David, did you use schedule 40 electrical conduit? All I did to make arches with it was plant the rebar 6' apart. It makes a 3 1/2 foot tall arch, no heating bending or issues.