Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Software Wishlist Idea 2 - Sequence Editor Colors

Randy

Well, the last wishlist idea thread went pretty well, so I thought I'd post another idea to see what the reaction is before submitting via the wishlist. :)

I saw a demonstration of Light Show Pro software last weekend, and this idea came straight from that package...Hey, we borrow ideas from each other for Christmas Displays, so why not other tools as well... :P

Here goes....Currently, if you want an easy way of segregating colors in your display for programming purposes in the Sequence Editor, it can be done with tracks. So you could have a master track with all of your lights (colors), and then you could build separate tracks for the red, green, and blue lights, multi, etc. Once you have the tracks set up, then you can switch to those tracks when using the Sequence Editor and program a certain color effect (turn on or sweep all red lights, etc.)

The new idea involves just using one track and avoiding all that additional setup. On the top of the channel rows, a small collection of radio buttons would be located with a choice for each of the colors. The list of colors could just be common colors, such as RGBW, or it could be built from the colors used in your rows, or it could be built from a smart search of channel names, if you're using Gold lights, for example.

Either way, at the top of the channel rows you have these radio buttons of colors. When they are all checked or clicked, all the channel rows are visible (as normal).

If you only have one color choice selected (such as red), then only the channel rows are visible below that have red lights. This feature makes it real easy and quick to change the "view" of those channels, and would allow you to change the view easily from red to blue or to green to program certain color effects without the other colors "clogging up" the view...

It sure looks easier than configuring / setting up many tracks that contain the various colors of lights in your display and then switching over to those tracks to perform certain colored effects...I like the idea of having everything in one master track and just changing the view with the radio buttons or check marks.

Did I describe it well enough? I thought it was pretty slick in the demo...

Thanks, Randy

The use of groups can make what you are talking about much easier. These groups can be at the bottom of your master track or wherever you want/need them

Make a 'red' group that contains all your red channels checking "leave copies in their existing locations". May be a little time consuming, but you only need to do it once.

Now you can put a lighting command in the first line of the red group (without expanding it) and it will put that command in ALL channels in the 'red group'. You can even put a chase thru the whole 'red group' with only putting the command in the first line of the UN-expanded group

I hear you, Paul, but the thing that has discouraged me from building color-centric tracks is because I have well over 600 channels. I really did not want to spend the time moving channels by color over to other tracks.

I just the idea above was more versatile because it doesn't require all of that setup time....

Randy wrote:

I hear you, Paul, but the thing that has discouraged me from building color-centric tracks is because I have well over 600 channels. I really did not want to spend the time moving channels by color over to other tracks.

I just the idea above was more versatile because it doesn't require all of that setup time....

I understand the frustration with time consuming channel configuration set up.

Bob posted this link that looks to be that fastest way to get it done in S3 (as of now)

Thinking about it. Your thought on the 'radio button' color selection would make it much much easier to create color groups. Just select the red radio button then make a group out of the whole red channel list.

The reason I would want to get these red channels into a group instead of just using the radio button is the ease of applying programming into the first line of a UN-expanded group and it being applied to the whole group.