Light-O-Rama Forums

Shortening C9 Christmas Light Strand

marsh28

I want to shorten a 25 light C9 light strand into 5 separate 5 light strands. First, is this possible? Second, what will I need to do it? I appreciate the help.

you can buy spt-2 wire and c-9 sockets and make you own with what ever spacing you want, or just cut yours and buy some spt vampire pulg ends and use them

Yes! Unlike minilights, C9's and C7's are 110V bulbs. If you were so inclined you could actually cut the strings into 25 one bulb strings. Mini incandecents are a different story. 100 counts usually cut into 2 strings of 50 (2.5v bulbs * 50 lights = 125V) 70 counts usually cut into 2 string of 35 (3.5v bulbs * 35 =122.5V) 20 count lights (no cut) - 6v bulbs * 20 = 120V etc etc ... you get the basic idea. I have no clue about cutting LED's as I dont use them (well I do but usually only because they came on some decoration). Still like the "warmth" of incandecents. Hope this helps Bob

OOPS! Didnt see James' reply first.. got distracted by actually having to answer a work question.... LOL .. .I hate when real life messes up my hobbies....

Would it be cheaper to make my own custom light cords or more cost effective to cut up one 25 light strand and add vampire plugs?

marsh28 wrote:

Would it be cheaper to make my own custom light cords or more cost effective to cut up one 25 light strand and add vampire plugs?

cheaper to do vampire plugs only but you loose the ability to customize you lengths,here is some links for pricing

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/c9-socket-strobe-light-kit.html

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/spt1-female-plug-10-in-a-pack-green.html

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/spt1-male-plug-10-in-a-pack-green.html

marsh28 wrote:

I cut up existing strands, add vampire plugs, and use them for individual strobes. If you get the strands on closeout at WallyWorld (or anyplace else) you can do it pretty cheaply. Not much help for this year, but if you find yourself planning ahead...

While we're on the subject--I bought SPT wire and vampire plugs to make my own customized light strings in C9 and C7.What I didn't get were instuctions!So.is there anything I should know before I burn-down the Priest Pallace?

Guest Don Gillespie

Ralph Priest wrote:

While we're on the subject--I bought SPT wire and vampire plugs to make my own customized light strings in C9 and C7.What I didn't get were instuctions!So.is there anything I should know before I burn-down the Priest Pallace?

All the vampire plugs I recieved from CDI clearly show where the wires should go it says right on the plug ribbed wire only